Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

What a great week ! Congrats on the PBs. You looked very comfortable when I saw you today between miles 3 and 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Congrats on the PB Adrian, you're going from strength to strength :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Good man A, well done on the PB. That taper crack is not all its cracked up to be, great running man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Terrific time today, A! That's definitely a week's work to be happy with. Was out there today but didn't spot you - huge numbers. Congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done! Two pb's in a week is pretty impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done A - saw you finish and you looked very strong indeed, a great week and a great few months really. Keep up the great work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

Two excellent showings in a week there, great work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Fantastic week from you with two great PBs to show for it. Well done.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    What a great week ! Congrats on the PBs. You looked very comfortable when I saw you today between miles 3 and 4.
    Congrats on the PB Adrian, you're going from strength to strength :)
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Good man A, well done on the PB. That taper crack is not all its cracked up to be, great running man.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Terrific time today, A! That's definitely a week's work to be happy with. Was out there today but didn't spot you - huge numbers. Congrats.
    chickey2 wrote: »
    Well done! Two pb's in a week is pretty impressive.
    Duanington wrote: »
    Well done A - saw you finish and you looked very strong indeed, a great week and a great few months really. Keep up the great work
    diego_b wrote: »
    Two excellent showings in a week there, great work!
    Fantastic week from you with two great PBs to show for it. Well done.

Thanks everyone, nice to get a result like that so early in the year. I certainly didn't feel too comfortable during the race G, and certainly not at the finish, though I guess when you make that last turn D you do find something from somewhere.

Next up for me will be the Dungarvan 10 Mile on Sunday. Hoping for a good result and also hoping my lack of long runs recently won't come back to bite me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Well done Adrian, that's some time and two PB's this week.

BG certainly didn't tell me I looked well miles 3&4 so take the compliment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

That's a brilliant week, without doubt. Surely your club will pick you for the Nats after that :D Best of luck in Dungarvan.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That's a brilliant week, without doubt. Surely your club will pick you for the Nats after that :D Best of luck in Dungarvan.

I'm pretty solidly encamped in the "B" team at this stage!

|Month|YTD
    Days Running|29/31|29/31
    Sessions|4|4
    Long Runs|1|1
    Commutes|13|13
    Doubles|7|7
    Races|5|5
    PB's|2|2

Month|2013|2014|2015|2016|2017|2018
    January|7|0|191|73.5|133.3|216.3
    February|10|53|196|104.1|165.9
    March|7|111|207.9|70|186.9
    April|26|154|165.2|74.9|203.2
    May|69|121|219.7|128.6|193
    June|75|93|257.4|183.2|179.3
    July|67|212|151.2|236.4|242.1
    August|101|233|132.7|279.7|255.7
    September|85|261|31.6|191.2|151.1
    October|4|179|63.6|106.6|167.4
    November|13|28|17.5|154.9|223.3
    December|6|163|21|151.3|213.7
    Total|471.2|1606.2|1654.8|1757.3|2318.6|216.3

Distance|PB - Dec 2017|Current PB|2018 Target
    Marathon| 3:26:56|3:26:56|3:15:00
    10K|41:20|41:20|41:00
    10 Miles|71:10|71:10|69:00
    Half|1:32:23|1:32:23|1:31:00
    5 Miles|32:53|32:13|32:00
    5K|19:32|19:32|19:00

This table is getting a little bit out of control, but I'll go with it. 200+ miles in January is a great start. While the mileage has been good, little to nothing in the way of long runs and also very few sessions.

That's explained by 2 CC races, 2 indoor races and 1 road race. The Raheny 5 mile road race is the highlight as that was a PB I really wan't expecting. The Mile races are good bit of fun but I'm really treating those like expensive sessions!

For February I've got John Treacy 10 Mile this Sunday and national Masters CC the following week so it will be mid-February before I get back to regular sessions and long runs but not much to be done about that at this stage.

All the best in Dungarvan tomorrow A, run well.

Two PB’s in two weeks I do believe?

Day|Time|Dist/Pace|Comment
    Monday|PM|5.3 Miles @ 9:01|Recovery
    Tuesday|PM|9.5 @ 8:49 m/m|Easy/Steady at the Club Session
    Wednesday|PM|7 Miles @ 8:42 m/m|Commute - Easy
    Thursday|AM|3.2 Miles @ 8:33 m/m|Commute - Easy
    Thursday|PM|6.9 Mile @ 8:19|Steady run at the club session
    Friday|PM|5.1 Miles @ 8:50 m/m|Easy Post work run.
    Saturday|AM|4 Miles @ 8:57 |Easy with Strides
    Sunday|PM|10 Miles @ 6:42 m/m|[URL="https://www.strava.com/activities/1391590912]John Treacy 10 Mile[/URL]

I skipped the 2 club sessions this week (well ran steady at them rather than doing the sessions). On Tuesday I was still recovering, on Thursday I was a bit close to the 10 mile. Everything else was easy.

Total for the week was 55.4 Miles - Most since early November.

Sunday morning I hit the road to Dungarvan. I've heard so much about this race I wanted to see it for myself. Weather was awful in Dublin, glad I wasn't up in the Waterworks with the rest of the club.

Weather improved the closer I got to Waterford and by race time there was nice sunshine and a balmy 8 degrees.

The start was busy but I just tried to settle in and get into a rhythm. We do a loop and come back by the start line. After this we head out towards the country roads. Not being familiar with the area I didn't really know what to expect. Also adding to this was that I didn't really know how the legs would hold up.

I felt good though and started fairly quick and settled into what was quite a quick pace, I wasn't afraid of it though, figuring I'd go out hard and if I blow up so be it.

The first mile was bit too quick but the next 2 were right around where I wanted to be (6:32, 6:46, 6:42).

So far so good. I skipped the first water station around 3 miles in. One god thing about this race (there are lots of good things) is that they call out splits at the mile marker. My split at 3 miles was around 20 mins. That did scare me a little bit.

I was making my way through the field, working a bit harder but certainly not struggling. We went through halfway in around 33.45 I thought that I could hold on at this point.

Shortly after halfway they is a bit of hairpin type bend. I could sense those around me slowing down so pushed on a bit. Less than 5 miles to go and still feeling ok. (6:47,6:44,6:50)

There was a clock at the 10K mark (42:02 I think), that would have been a 10K PB a year ago.

Anyway once we got through 7 Miles I really started to push on as much as I dared. It was fairly downhill but I was going past quite a few people so I felt I was on for quite a good time. I wasn't really checking my pace at all, I'd occasionally check how much distance was left but wasn't trying to stick to a specific pace so not too concerned about that.

Around this time there is a bit of an incline, and then a left turn onto a main road into the wind. As much as anywhere I started to really feel it here but telling myself there is less than 2 miles to go I tried to dig deep.

Once we turned off the main road I gave it everything to try and empty the tank. There was one guy with me and we kind of dragged each other through it.

I knew I was on for a good time so really gave it everything and put in my fastest mile of the race. (6:39, 6:45, 6:52, 6:25).

I finished in 67:03 for a 4 minute PB. I was disappointed that I missed the sub 67 before realising that the A-target was probably 68 so pretty delighted with this.

The race overall is brilliant, closed roads, very friendly, good support, 3 water stations, great spread afterwards (really good actually) and a nice basic goodie bag with Nike T-shirt, Water, Mars Bar, Crisps, Flapjack. Can't argue with that. Great event. Recommended.

Now for some Superbowl/PB Beers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Just rewards for your commitment to training and racing A, well done man

Eagles or Pats? Well done on a 49’er making the Hall of Fame last night by the way!!

Eagles +4.5 hopefully! Hopefully a good close game or else I'm going to bed early. Not before time for TO too.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Eagles +4.5 hopefully! Hopefully a good close game or else I'm going to bed early. Not before time for TO too.

Hope you are right, keep the pressure on No 12 the whole way through and the Eagles won’t be far away. As a Pittsburgh fan I can’t look at it!!!

• Advertisement

Hope you are right, keep the pressure on No 12 the whole way through and the Eagles won’t be far away. As a Pittsburgh fan I can’t look at it!!!

So far so good...

So far so good...

Never in doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Another PB!!!!! Well done Adrian!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

On a roll.... well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Well done on the PB and a well run race.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That's a terrific race, Adrian. 4 mins is a colossal PB. Just reward. Congrats.

Thanks all. Legs still not properly recovered. All easy running this week I think. Until the mud on Sunday anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Thanks all. Legs still not properly recovered. All easy running this week I think. Until the mud on Sunday anyway!

You're going really well adrian.... deserved rewards.... Well done..See you Sunday. .. You can spank me in the mud ðŸ˜

martyboy48 wrote: »
    You can spank me in the mud ðŸ˜

Kinky........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Kinky........

It would take you!!!!! It was meant as in teach me a lesson/show me up/whip me/beat me well :D:D

Advertisement