Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Day|Time|Dist/Pace|Comment
    Monday|PM|Rest|Off
    Tuesday|PM|6.5 Miles @ 8:18 m/m|Easy run at the club session
    Wednesday|AM|3.2 Miles @ 8:19 m/m|Commute
    Wednesday|PM|6.2 Miles @ 8:46 m/m|Commute
    Thursday|PM|5.6 Miles @ 8:25 m/m |Easy
    Friday|AM|5.3 Miles @ 8:34 m/m|Easy morning run
    Saturday|AM|3.4 Miles @ 9:26 m/m|Easy run around Retiro
    Sunday|AM|Madrid Rock N Roll Half|1:32:19, 4 second PB

Half Marathon in Madrid this week. The course is fairly tough. The first 5K is all uphill, then you have a fair but of downhill but interspersed with uphill sections. There doesn't seem to be any flat bits in Madrid ;)

I tried to start fairly conservatively and save something for the slightly faster finish.

The first 5K ticks by in 22:59, slow but that was the plan. I was feeling good as we headed back downhill and was able to pick up the pace a bit. While its not all downhill it is a bit easier than the first 5K and the split this time is 21:30. It's at this stage that I struggle a little bit, working a bit too hard and its getting a bit hotter but I get to 15K with a split of 21:43.

The next section starts with a significant climb and at this point the Garmin is useless as its not at all accurate. Once the climb is done there is a good bit of downhill and now is the time to empty the tank, I manage to get to 20K in a split of 21:42. The last km or so does drag, there is a long straight to the finish that seems to go on forever but finally finish in a time of 1:32:19.

This is 4 seconds faster than Charleville last September but obviously on a much tougher course and fairly hot conditions (probably 17 degrees by the finish) so much better performance.

Total for the week was 44.9 Miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

adrian522 wrote: »
    Monday|PM|Rest|Off
    Tuesday|PM|6.5 Miles @ 8:18 m/m|Easy run at the club session
    Wednesday|AM|3.2 Miles @ 8:19 m/m|Commute
    Wednesday|PM|6.2 Miles @ 8:46 m/m|Commute
    Thursday|PM|5.6 Miles @ 8:25 m/m |Easy
    Friday|AM|5.3 Miles @ 8:34 m/m|Easy morning run
    Saturday|AM|3.4 Miles @ 9:26 m/m|Easy run around Retiro
    Sunday|AM|Madrid Rock N Roll Half|1:32:19, 4 second PB

Half Marathon in Madrid this week. The course is fairly tough. The first 5K is all uphill, then you have a fair but of downhill but interspersed with uphill sections. There doesn't seem to be any flat bits in Madrid ;)

I tried to start fairly conservatively and save something for the slightly faster finish.

The first 5K ticks by in 22:59, slow but that was the plan. I was feeling good as we headed back downhill and was able to pick up the pace a bit. While its not all downhill it is a bit easier than the first 5K and the split this time is 21:30. It's at this stage that I struggle a little bit, working a bit too hard and its getting a bit hotter but I get to 15K with a split of 21:43.

The next section starts with a significant climb and at this point the Garmin is useless as its not at all accurate. Once the climb is done there is a good bit of downhill and now is the time to empty the tank, I manage to get to 20K in a split of 21:42. The last km or so does drag, there is a long straight to the finish that seems to go on forever but finally finish in a time of 1:32:19.

This is 4 seconds faster than Charleville last September but obviously on a much tougher course and fairly hot conditions (probably 17 degrees by the finish) so much better performance.

Total for the week was 44.9 Miles.

Congrats on the PB, some going on a tough course in warm weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice! You haven’t really expressed feelings, but reading between the lines (;)) it seems you are happy with all this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Murph_D wrote: »
    Nice! You haven’t really expressed feelings, but reading between the lines (;)) it seems you are happy with all this?

It's a tough one. it's essentially the same time for 3 straight races. I'd have liked to be closer to 1.30 but after a few days to think about it I think I ran a very good race, paced it very well and from speaking to people afterwards it seems a lot of people didn't manage to hit their targets.

So overall yes I'm pretty happy with it. Just not sure when I'll have another crack at a fast half marathon. I think ill run Cork at Marathon pace.

Monday|PM|Rest|Off
    Tuesday|PM|Rest|Off
    Wednesday|PM|Rest|Off
    Thursday|PM|Rest|Off
    Friday|PM|Rest|Off
    Saturday|AM|Indoor Track Session|8 x 200m, 4 x 400
    Sunday|PM|Rest|Off

The less said about this week the better. Monday I took off as a recovery day and travelling back. By Tuesday I was beginning to feel an illness coming on so didn't run, hoping to head it off but ended up missing work Wednesday and Thursday also with no running.

I still wasn't 100% by Friday so did nothing then either.

On Saturday I was out to the National Indoor arena for a track session. Good session, I wore a pair of track spikes for it that are meant for middle distance races and my legs are fairly trashed today.

8 x 200m - 0:36/0:40/0:40/0:42/0:42/0:40/0:41/0:41
    4 x 400m - 1:25/1:28/1:27/1:27

Anyway I took today off after a few beer last night and feeling there is not much to be gained by plodding through a few miles for the sake of it.

Total for the week: 3.9 Miles :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Good session ! LOL'd at the total miles I have to say :D, I missed the decimal point when I looked at it first. Hope you're 100% recovered from the illness now ?

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Good session ! LOL'd at the total miles I have to say :D, I missed the decimal point when I looked at it first. Hope you're 100% recovered from the illness now ?

Still not 100% really so I'll be taking it easy for a few days I'd say.

|Month|YTD
    Days Running|21/30|101/120
    Sessions|5|17
    Long Runs|2|7
    Commutes|9|40
    Doubles|3|18
    Races|2|12
    PB's|1|6

Month|2013|2014|2015|2016|2017|2018
    January|7|0|191|73.5|133.3|216.3
    February|10|53|196|104.1|165.9|194.7
    March|7|111|207.9|70|186.9|211.4
    April|26|154|165.2|74.9|203.2|154.5
    May|69|121|219.7|128.6|193
    June|75|93|257.4|183.2|179.3
    July|67|212|151.2|236.4|242.1
    August|101|233|132.7|279.7|255.7
    September|85|261|31.6|191.2|151.1
    October|4|179|63.6|106.6|167.4
    November|13|28|17.5|154.9|223.3
    December|6|163|21|151.3|213.7
    Total|471.2|1606.2|1654.8|1757.3|2318.6|774.3

Distance|PB - Dec 2017|Current PB|2018 Target
    Marathon| 3:26:56|3:26:56|3:15:00
    10K|41:20|41:20|41:00
    10 Miles|71:10|67:03|69:00
    Half|1:32:23|1:32:19|1:31:00
    5 Miles|32:53|32:13|32:00
    5K|19:32|19:32|19:00

2 races, a poor run in the great Ireland run followed by a 4 second PB in Madrid. Followed that with an almost full week off and still trying to get back to 100%.

Trying to get a little consistency back into my running before kicking into marathon training.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All ok A?

Yeah, not much to update recently. I'd a calf strain in a race on May 7th and did little to nothing since then, back running but all easy stuff so far.

I'm going to skip Dunboyne next week and hopefully line up for the half in Cork in June, though likely not an all out effort.

The running has been difficult of late so not going to push it!

• Advertisement

Yeah, not much to update recently. I'd a calf strain in a race on May 7th and did little to nothing since then, back running but all easy stuff so far.

I'm going to skip Dunboyne next week and hopefully line up for the half in Cork in June, though likely not an all out effort.

The running has been difficult of late so not going to push it!

Take it handy so, you were going great guns shame an injury hit.

Best of luck Sunday A, take it easy. Run well!!

Ha Ha, I'll be taking it easy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Good luck tomorrow and enjoy the day.

Not a great time of it since the last update:

I picked up a bit of a niggle in the last update, indoor track session on April 28th. The following week I had an ok week, 40 miles, 2 sessions and a mid week Medium run. The Monday I had a race in Kilkenny, when the injury flared up and I had to drop out.

Very little done that week, apart from a short 2.5 mile run.

The next week I ran 5 times, all short runs, all easy maxing out at 6 miles.

More of the same the next week, but with a solid 12 mile long run but I started to feel a bit of an issue in my other leg which was quite concerning.

The week after I got back int doing some sessions, which were ok and ran the Cork Half marathon, intending to run as a long run but still found it tough going.

The following week I had a few runs, struggled through them really. Ended with a long run of 11 miles that went fairly badly to the point that I ended up walking back home after completely running out of energy.

This week I was away with work and I managed one treadmill run before getting out for 7 miles today.

To be honest I don't know where I'm going with my running. I'm not at all fit, I'm entered into a few races in the near future but I'm not sure what I can get out of them as I'm currently struggling with easy paced running.

My weekly mileage since start of May has been:

5, 24,38,36,28,13.

So all in all not great. I'm hoping to get some consistency back but I'm a long way from where I'd hoped I would be at this stage of the year.

You get your bloods checked lately, the lack of energy thing doesn’t sound right?

OOnegative wrote: »
    You get your bloods checked lately, the lack of energy thing doesn’t sound right?

Nope, I'd just assumed it was a general lack of fitness combined with the warmer weather but maybe you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

How are you doing Adrian?

I'm grand I guess. Still plodding around, harbouring delusions about running in Berlin and Dublin!

Back into some sort of consistent training and building up the miles. Hoping to hit 50 Miles this week and a 15 mile long run which would indicate some measure of progress.

I've been struggling along with the running, doing a bit, getting a setback, doing a bit more, repeat.

I've worked through a few niggles and injuries and am rehabbing at the moment.

I also had/have a bit of a low energy issue that I'm also dealing with. In other words its been a bit of a struggle. I'm pretty much out of Berlin and probably also out of Dublin, but never say never I guess.

I'll hopefully build back up over the next few months and hopefully get in some sort of shape come the long dark evenings!

• Advertisement

Reading that post it looks/sounds you are struggling with motivation maybe also? Knock the running on the head for a few weeks, go enjoy a few gigs(know you do). The 49’ers are still muck even with Jimmy G, go shout your lungs off and enjoy a few Mike Hess?

OOnegative wrote: »
    Reading that post it looks/sounds you are struggling with motivation maybe also? Knock the running on the head for a few weeks, go enjoy a few gigs(know you do). The 49’ers are still muck even with Jimmy G, go shout your lungs off and enjoy a few Mike Hess?

No motivation hasn't really been much of an issue, except for the fact that for a while all the runs were really hard, even the 'easy' runs. I'm very eager to ramp up the training but need to get the body right first.

I'm very much jealous of everyone who is able to go out and log miles every week.

49ers are obviously winning the next few superbowls at least. Garroppolo has never lost a game!

No motivation hasn't really been much of an issue, except for the fact that for a while all the runs were really hard, even the 'easy' runs. I'm very eager to ramp up the training but need to get the body right first.

I'm very much jealous of everyone who is able to go out and log miles every week.

49ers are obviously winning the next few superbowls at least. Garroppolo has never lost a game!

The right reply, Jimmy G is overpaid, Big Ben and Brown84 for the SuperBowl!!!

Unfortunately it seems I'm as far away as ever from returning to full training mode. I've manged a few short runs, 3 miles, 3 miles, 4 miles but I'm still having the same issues I was having 2 months ago.

I honestly don't know where I go from here.

Unfortunately it seems I'm as far away as ever from returning to full training mode. I've manged a few short runs, 3 miles, 3 miles, 4 miles but I'm still having the same issues I was having 2 months ago.

I honestly don't know where I go from here.

Sorry to hear that A, what’s physio saying to you?

Generally what I get is its not a serious problem, just needs to be loosened out or whatever. I've been to a few of them now, and the last guy seemed really good, but he's away on holidays now for 3 weeks, then I'm away for 2 weeks so it will be a while before I see him again.

At the moment I'm trying to do a few easy runs and concentrate on the stretches and rolling etc but I'm not seeing any progress. Going for another PT session next week.

So, I've been challlenged to get back to updating the log so I'll give it a go.

It's hard to summarise the last few months into one post but I'll try. It seems like my last proper update was back in May.

Around the start of May I ran the Leinster Masters road race in Gowran. I only managed 1 lap before dropping out with a calf injury.

That was the start of a series of issues that I still haven't properly got over.

May: I took around a week off and then got back to it after some phsio and rehab. I kind of eased back into it, not rushing things.

June: Back into doing sessions and trying to get fitness back. Trying to keep up the long run also. Still had intentions of running the Berlin marathon.
    It was aeround this time that I started to have issues with energy levels and found I was having to work very hard to run even moderate paces.

July: The same issues persist and eventually I decide to visit the doctor to get some tests done. During July I abandon some long runs that should have been no problem for me but for whatever reason I cant get through them at all.

Medical tests turn out OK and I go back to running long runs very slowly just to get through them. Manage to get through the miles but I'm never really feeling good.

August: I get my long run up to 15 miles and I have a plan to get to 18 miles and still run Berlin. I get the weekly mileage up to 50.

The rock n rill half goes badly. Intended to run as a session but by the end I'm struggling to maintain 9 min miles. I can feel a hip injury afterwards that I need to address.

At this point I can any thoughts of the marathon but getting back into running is tough and the injury persists.

Sept: I'm not running at all really, any attempt to get back into it results in a setback. I'm going to various people for treatment but honestly I'm not seeing any progress.

Oct: After 7 weeks of little to no running I'm back to it but I have no fitness at all. Get back to doing 3-4 miles 3 -4 times per week. I head away on holidays and take a break from running altogether.

Nov: I carry on trying to get back to fitness with runs 4 times per week. I still have injury issues that I'm trying to work through. I seem to be making some progress on that score.

Dec: Getting better now, running 25-30 miles per week, still very slowly but building up the miles towards 10 mile long run and 5-6 times per week.

I do a parkrun each Saturday, time coming down gradually from 27 mins to 25 mins.

Jan, getting a bit more confident I go back to a club session. Towards the end of the session I feel the calf tighten up so ease off. I go for some physio afterwards to get it looked at.

I get the go ahead to continue running so after a few days off I show up to parkrun to run it slowly. I last less that a mile before I realise the calf is giving a bit too much trouble and I walk back to the start.

That was yesterday and I literally could barely walk on it afterwards. More physio planned for next week and I feel like I'm right back where I started last May.

Mileage totals since May:

May:

5/24/38/36

June:

28/19/29/26

July:

37/3/41/38

August:

50/53/26/3/0

Sept:

2/1/2/0

Oct:

3/10/12/9

Nov:

0/0/14/15/14

Dec:

14/25/28/27

Jan:

32/6/

There won't be any running for the next while, a few weeks at least I think. I'll try to do the rehab and try to also do some cycling and strength but for the moment there will be no running and likely no updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Best of luck with the recovery Adrian.

Advertisement