Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Thursday:

Cross Trainer

- 10 Mins Warm Up
    - Intervals of 1/2/3/4/5/4/3/2/1 mins with 2 mins Recovery
    - 5 mins Cool Down

56 mins total.

Doing this sort of session on a cross trainer is difficult as its hard to get the HR up during the hard bits. It is a lot better than trying to do 60 mins continuous though. You definitely need some sort of variety in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck Adrian. The mileage totals say it all really. I wonder are your setbacks sometimes related to ramping it up too much? I think mileage consistency really helps with resilience, while yours is all over the place - understandably of course, given the stop-start nature related to the various issues.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Murph_D wrote: »
    Good luck Adrian. The mileage totals say it all really. I wonder are your setbacks sometimes related to ramping it up too much? I think mileage consistency really helps with resilience, while yours is all over the place - understandably of course, given the stop-start nature related to the various issues.

Ha ha, I guess so. Maybe a self fulfilling prophecy though. You need to be injury free to get the consistent miles and you need the consistent miles to stay injury free.

Anyway...

Friday:

Nothing

Saturday:

AM: parkrun volunteering
    PM: 60 mins Cross Trainer (Easy)

Sunday:

Cycle, 37-ish Miles in 2:43.

Update:

I've spent the last few weeks doing rehab with a physio. It's been a slow process but I'm back running. Over the last 2 weeks I've started from doing short periods of running with walking recovery.

So it went like this:

Week beginning Feb 18th:

Wednesday: 5 x (3 Mins Run/1 Min Walk)
    Friday: 5 x (3 Mins Run/1 Min Walk)
    Saturday: 4 x (4 mins run/1 Min Walk) + 3 mins run

Week of Feb 25th:

Monday:4 x (5 mins Run/1 Min Walk)
    Wednesday: 3 x (7 mins run/1 min walk)
    Friday: 2 x (10 mins run/1 min walk)
    Sunday: 20 mins run

From this week it will be all continuous running starting with 30 min/3 miles 4-5 times per week. Hopefully building up to normal mileage around last week of March or 1st week of April.

So far this week I've had:

Monday: 3 Miles @ 9:59
    Tuesday : 3 Miles @ 9:38

I've been volunteering at parkrun each week while doing the rehab which has given me a different view of the whole operation. After 7 weeks of that I'm looking forward to jogging a parkrun this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great to see A, delighted to see you back at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hope it all comes together Adrian!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Good man. That's how I started back. All the very best.

Update for the rest of the week:

Wednesday: Off
    Thursday: 3.3 Miles @ 9:47
    Friday: Off
    Saturday: 3.1 Miles @ 8:47 (Parkrun)
    Sunday: 4 Miles @ 9:44

Total: 16.5 Miles.

I guess I've been doing more rehab in the last few weeks. Doing the physio exercises and bulding back up slowly. Very slowly in fact.

the last 2 weeks I've been running 6 times per week as follows;

Mon: 5.4 Miles @ 9:28
    Tue: 5 Miles @ 9:19
    Wed: 5 Miles @ 9:32
    Th: 3.4 Miles @ 9:08
    Fr: Off
    Sat: Park run 25:14
    Su: 8.3 Miles @ 9:27

Mon: 5.4 @ 9:08
    Tu: 5 Miles @ 9:35
    We 5 Miles @ 9:23
    Th: Off
    Fri: 4.3 @ 9:32
    Sa: 4.2 Miles including parkrun (25:17)
    Sun: 10 Miles @ 9:41

Long run today was tough. Really slow second half but good progress to have 2 weeks of 30 and 34 Miles.

Hopefully onwards and upwards from here!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Delighted for you.
    I'd say you'd a big smile on your face when you finished the 10 miler.

• Advertisement

Thanks A, I was delighted to get through it alright, but it was a real struggle for the last few miles. Hopefully it will get easier over the next few weeks.

Another week of good training. Happy to be able to run regularly and see good signs of progress.

Monday: 5.3 Miles @ 9:28
    Tuesday: Club Session 6 x 800m, 5.49 Miles Total
    Wednesday: 5.07 @ 9:22
    Thursday: 5.02 @ 9:14
    Friday - Off
    Saturday - 5.4 Miles with Bushy Parkrun (24:15)
    Sunday - 10.3 Miles @ 9:31

So a good week. The Club session was mainly at around 60-70% effort. Stuck with 800's, didn't jump into the 400's.

The distance isn't exactly 800m, but the pace gives an indication:

7:53/8:07/8:00/7:51/7:45/7:29

So goes to show that there is a good bit more to come based on getting faster as the session went on.

Saturday parkrun was a minute faster than the previous week so another good sign of progress but I never thought 24 mins would feel so hard :)

Sunday long run, went through the waterworks (rather than the more difficult around the waterworks). Still good 10 mile effort and felt a good bit easier than last week.

Total for the week was 36.7 Miles. Last 3 weeks have been 30.4, 34, 36.7

Pretty disappointing week...

Monday:

5.4 Miles @ 9:09 m/m

Tuesday

3 Miles @ 9:18

Wednesday:

6.1 Miles @ 9:13

Monday run was fine, usual Monday route. Tuesday, weather was horrible and I had a puncture on the bike when I came to leave work, by the time I had sorted that out I was late for the club session but went down to Bushy park anyway and did a few laps before meeting after training.

Wednesday, I went out to do a slightly longer run than normal (6 Miles instead of 5).

I started out ok but as the run went on I started to feel something in my upper back. This got worse as the run went on to the point that it was a real issue and I should have abandoned the run and walked home but in the end I pushed through and made it home.

Since then my back has been fairly painful and I haven't been in a position to run at all. I gave it a go at parkrun this morning but as soon as I started a warmup I knew it wasn't happening so volunteered instead.

I'll need to get some physio or something next week, it's disappointing to say the least to be out of action again. I'm not sure I have the patience or motivation to build up my fitness from scratch again if this turns into a long long layoff.

I'll hope for the best in any case but no running for the next while I don't think.

How’s the back A?

Yeah good thanks B. My last visit to the physio was Tuesday and it was still a bit tender after that. I could still feel it a lot at the docklands 5k on Thursday night but it was a lot better today at the parkrun.

I'm going to chance a long run tomorrow so hopefully that goes well and it will be full steam ahead next week.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Yeah good thanks B. My last visit to the physio was Tuesday and it was still a bit tender after that. I could still feel it a lot at the docklands 5k on Thursday night but it was a lot better today at the parkrun.

I'm going to chance a long run tomorrow so hopefully that goes well and it will be full steam ahead next week.

Great stuff, delighted to hear that.

Monday - 3 Miles @ 8:47 m/m
    Tuesday - 4 Miles @ 9:04 m/m
    Wednesday - Off
    Thursday - Docklands 5K - 24:49
    Friday - Off
    Saturday - 5 Miles including Bricklfields Parkrun - 26:45
    Sunday - 10 Miles @ 9:41

I'd been to the physio the previous Tuesday and he advised I should be ok to go back running form last Thursday but I knew myself it wasn't happening and just kept plugging away at the rehab exercises.

By Monday of this week I went for a tester run. I got through 3 miles but it was still fairly painful and not something that seemed like it was going to sort itself out so back to the Physio again on Tuesday.

The run on Tuesday evening was all on grass and my back was still fairly sore from the physio treatment but I could sesnse progress was being made (ever the optimist!).

Wednesday I took off and then went to the docklands for the 5KM on Thursday. Still not 100% but got through the run and had a good night out afterwards ;)

Friday, off again. Saturday I went to brickfields parkrun intending to go easy but it was ore of a steady tempo effort I guess. Felt a lot better though.

Sunday, 10 miles through the waterworks. Really enjoyed that. It's great to be able to do 10 mile runs again.

Weekly total - 25.7 Miles.

Next up for me will be the Liberties 6k run in July.

Monday - 3.55 Miles @ 9:52 m/m
    Tuesday - Club Session - 4 x 700/2 x 600/3 x 400
    Wednesday - 5 Miles @ 9:30 m/m
    Thursday - 5.35 Miles @ 9:22 m/m
    Friday - Off
    Saturday - 5.1 miles including Corkagh Parkrun @ 24:50
    Sunday - 10.96 Miles @ 9:33 m/m

Monday, complete recovery run. I went out intending to do 5 miles but took a wrong turn but was happy enough with the shorter distance given how my body was feeling.

Tuesday ,Club session. I found it tough and felt slow but I guess good to get back to doing sessions. All on grass too which helps.

Wednesday 5 miles around UCD was tough coming off the session the previous day. Thursday I went to the club agian but just jogged around for the most part. All on grass again.

Saturday parkrun , hard effort, felt harder than a 25 min run, but I guess this is the same time I ran in docklands so pretty close to full effort really.

Sunday long run was very tough going. I really slowed towards the end and stopped a few times. Kind of hoping these will get easier at some point :)

Total for the week was 35.6 Miles.

Monday - Off
    Tuesday - Club Session 2 x 800/3 x 600/2 x 400
    Wednesday - 5.5 Miles@ 9:24 m/m
    Thursday - 6 Miles @ 9:41 m/m
    Friday - 4.7 @ 9:35 m/m
    Saturday - Tymon Parkrun - 25:49
    Sunday - 10 Miles @ 10:09 m/m

Not a good week at all to the point that it knocked my confidence and had me taking a few days off.

Tuesday session was ok I think, hitting around 7:00 -7:40 m/m on the intervals on grass. All good.

Wednesday was ok too, though the 5 miler seemed a bit harder than would have been expected.

Thursday and Friday were commutes home from work and into work. I really struggled on both of these runs, no explanation for this except maybe the weather or a lack of sleep due to work calls overnight a few times this week.

Saturday parkrun, started out ok but found it very tough for the last mile or so.

Sunday was a real struggle, the pace was in or around 10 mins per mile and even at that I had to keep stopping. My HR was way too high for that pace. I've no idea what was going on. Took a few days off and started taking Iron supplements again.

Weekly total: 35.2 Miles.

Monday - Off - planned
    Tuesday - Off -unplanned
    Wednesday - Off - unplanned
    Thursday - 4.5 Miles @ 9:11 m/m
    Friday - 5 Miles @ 9:16 m/m
    Saturday - 3.25 @ 8:54 (including parkrun)
    Sunday - Off- unplanned

So as said I took Monday off to help get back on track.

Tuesday I was late in work and ended up going for dinner with workmates visiting from the UK so no run.

Wednesday I was late enough in work again and the torrential rain didn't really help my motivation.

Thursday I went down to the club but just ended up jogging around which felt good, so I was happy enough with that. Didn't attempt a session.

Friday - I was in London for a gig (Dylan/Young - Great show, poor venue) and went for a run straight off the plane (almost) around Hyde park. Was great fun, didn't really know where I was going but was great atmosphere around the park with the warm weather (25 degrees or so).

Saturday- I got up early, quite hungover and dehyrdated and hit up the local parkrun. I had to take a bit of a detour to drop my bag at the finish area on the first lap so ended up running a bit extra, so was 28:58 for around 3.25 miles. Nice parkrun but with the hangover and the hot weather it was a bit of a procession.

Sunday - Back in Dublin by Saturday night but way too tired for early run and then was in Croke Park to see Kilkenny win :) and then down to Nowlan Park to see Dylan and Young again :)

Overall poor week but salvaged something towards the end of the week, back on track now hopefully.

Weekly total 13.1 Miles

• Advertisement

Monday - 5 Miles @ 9:17 m/m
    Tuesday - 4.7 @ 9:41 m/m
    Wednesday - Liberties 4 Mile (32:12)
    Thursday - 4 Miles @ 9:43
    Friday - Off
    Saturday - 5 Miles including Poolbeg Parkrun (25:23)
    Sunday - 10 Miles @ 10:00 m/m

Easy run Monday evening and slow run on grass on Tuesday. Went to the Liberties 4 mile on Wednesday (great race, recommended).

Recovery run on Thursday and day off on Friday. Parkrun Saturday, 25-ish mins again, not really making any progress on that front.

Sunday, long run in the PP. Not feeling great from the start and just ploughed along trying to keep the HR in check. No way 10min miles should feel this hard.

Weekly total: 32.7 Miles

Monday - 5.4 Miles @ 9:23 m/m
    Tuesday - Club Session - 6 x 800m
    Wednesday - 5 Miles @ 9:28
    Thursday (AM) - 5 Miles @ 9:26
    Thursday (PM) - 1.4 Miles @ 9:08
    Friday - Off
    Saturday - 5 Miles including Bushy Park Run (24:35)
    Sunday - 10.06 @ 9:09 m/m

Monday recovery run, not much issues hanging around from the previous days long run.

Good session on Tuesday, 6 x 800m, good effort all on grass only issue is that the route seems to be someway short of 800m :)

Commute home on Wednesday and into work on Thursday. Thursday evening, 2 laps on Bushy Park.

Saturday was a good effort at parkrun, felt hard but not pushing any harder than previous week but was almost 1 minute faster :)

Sunday I was far too hungover to run in the morning so went out in the evening. 10 Miles up around Tymon. Felt good and a whole lot better than the long runs of the previous 2 weeks.

Weekly Total: 36.9 Miles.

Any races on the horizon A or you just happy to keep building on things?

Streets of Galway 8k (or 5 mile, can't remember which) on August 10th.

Contemplating one for September too, The Lakes 10K or maybe Charleville half if things are going well. Probably the Rathfarnham 5K too.

I have a DCM entry too but that probably won't get used.

Streets of Galway 8k (or 5 mile, can't remember which) on August 10th.

Contemplating one for September too, The Lakes 10K or maybe Charleville half if things are going well. Probably the Rathfarnham 5K too.

I have a DCM entry too but that probably won't get used.

Streets of Galway always a great race & big atmosphere around the city for it. Missing DCM might be a blessing in disguise, your going well don’t ramp it up to quick to soon.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Streets of Galway always a great race & big atmosphere around the city for it. Missing DCM might be a blessing in disguise, your going well don’t ramp it up to quick to soon.

Yeah, thinking the same myself at the moment about the marathon.

Hopefully I'll build a good base and do a full XC season this year and be well set for 2020!

First time doing Streets of Glaway, looking forward to it.

Yeah, thinking the same myself at the moment about the marathon.

Hopefully I'll build a good base and do a full XC season this year and be well set for 2020!

First time doing Streets of Glaway, looking forward to it.

Sounds like a good plan A, you’ll love Galway. Go visit Oslo in Salthill, younger sister will look after you.

Monday - 5 Miles @ 9:16 m/m
    Tuesday - Club Session - 3 x 800, 2 x 600, 1 x 1000, 2 x400
    Wednesday - 5 Miles @ 9:53 m/m
    Thursday - Off
    Friday - 6.2 Miles @ 9:22 m/m
    Saturday - 4.4 Miles including Tymon Parkrun (24:55)
    Sunday - 10 Miles @ 9:26 m/m

Total - 36.3 Miles.

Let's see, Monday I had a nice 5 miler still feeling the effects on the long run the day before but settled into it nicely. Really long session on the Tuesday, went well, I think my paces are a bit faster than the last time I did it.

Wednesdays run you could really feel the effects of the session so kept it really slow. Friday I had a good 10K at lunch, tried to keep it slow and easy but didn't really succeed.

Parkrun on Saturday was hard, put the effort in and was slightly disappointed with the time, but still a good bit faster than the last time I ran that course.

Sunday, left the run until later, it was hot, windy and wet in different parts. It felt ok, not as easy as the previous weeks, but felt how I'd expect a Sunday long run to feel if that makes any sense.

Happy with the weeks work, 3 weeks of 30+ miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Could be hectic this year.... apparently there's 2 matches in the stadium and a Daniel o Donnell concert going on too. Traffic management plan in place do hopefully no issues....
    If your racing it adrian get up near the front, first 6/7 rows... there'll be plenty of people with headphones and the like.slight drag after 4km when you make right turn. When you hit the prom you can try open up a bit. When you make right turn for home with 1.2km to go wind will be at your back so give it stick..
    I'll be jogging along at 8min miles so you'll probably be gone when I finish...
    It going to be a rainy evening but temps still relatively high so best will do...
    Good luck and welcome to G town....

• Advertisement

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Could be hectic this year.... apparently there's 2 matches in the stadium and a Daniel o Donnell concert going on too. Traffic management plan in place do hopefully no issues....
    If your racing it adrian get up near the front, first 6/7 rows... there'll be plenty of people with headphones and the like.slight drag after 4km when you make right turn. When you hit the prom you can try open up a bit. When you make right turn for home with 1.2km to go wind will be at your back so give it stick..
    I'll be jogging along at 8min miles so you'll probably be gone when I finish...
    It going to be a rainy evening but temps still relatively high so best will do...
    Good luck and welcome to G town....

Hey Marty, wish I'd seen this before, I was aiming for 8 min miles so it would have been good. Ended up at 38.xx.

Good race in fairness.

Advertisement