Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Options
1626364656668»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Day|Dist/Pace
    Monday|6.29 Miles @ 9:12 m/m
    Tuesday|Club Session - 4 x Bank Lap
    Wednesday|Off
    Thursday|1.37 @ 9:15 m/m
    Friday|Off
    Saturday|Off
    Sunday|Cycle - 37.4 Miles @ 14mph

As mentioned previously I've had an injury but just wanted to log what was done last week.

Easy Run Monday and club session on Tuesday. Club session, I could feel a bit of pain at the start but it went away fairly quickly so I wasn't too bothered.

Session went well, 4 laps at the following paces (laps are around 1500m):

6:56/6:58/6:52/7:02

Good progress there as its a good bit faster than the previous time doing this session.

The next day I could feel a bit of pain so took the day off. Still in denial on Thursday :D, I went out for a run but bailed after a mile or so.

Cycle on Sunday to try and get some exercise in, very enjoyable trip around Howth and North Dublin. Great day for it but almost got caught with darkness approaching and no lights, but got home just in time.

Physio verdict is that I may have dodged a bullet, he's prescribed some exercises and a week's rest, with instructions to try an easy run in 1 weeks time so obviously there will be no running for the next week or so!

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great stuff you dodged that bullet A, hopefully back on the roads with regularity again soon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Bullet not dodged after all....

No improvement after 2 weeks so now I'm, in a walking boot, so no exercise or load of any description for 2 weeks, then it will be (in best case) 2 weeks rehab before going back to running, then however long it takes to build up fitness again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

adrian522 wrote: »

No improvement after 2 weeks so now I'm, in a walking boot, so no exercise or load of any description for 2 weeks, then it will be (in best case) 2 weeks rehab before going back to running, then however long it takes to build up fitness again!

That is a bummer. Sorry to hear that. Hope the time passes quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I don't believe it! How unlucky! Hopefully you have a speedy recovery - why the boot as a matter of interest? Is something broken? Just asking because I was told subsequent to my fracture in 2019 that I should not have been in a boot and immobilizing a joint/ligament/muscle is not always the best option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Ah that poxy A, wishing you a speedy recovery man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

****e, speedy recovery ahead I hope

I don't believe it! How unlucky! Hopefully you have a speedy recovery - why the boot as a matter of interest? Is something broken? Just asking because I was told subsequent to my fracture in 2019 that I should not have been in a boot and immobilizing a joint/ligament/muscle is not always the best option.

I think its just to avoid putting weight/load on the area to give it a chance to heal/recover before building it back up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Why are you in a walking boot what did the physio diagnose?

TbL

Basically there was no improvement to the foot from 2 weeks off running and doing the prescribed exercises so the boot is to prevent weight going through that part of the foot to allow the injury to heal.

If no improvement then the next step will be a referral for some treatment in the form of an injection to try to sort it out. Hoping it doesn't come to that but I'll do it if it is needed.

• Advertisement

So another 6 weeks on and still no real improvement, I'm hoping to get some more cycling in as that doesn't cause any pain, I've made some improvements to the bike so hopefully i can get out a few times per week.

I don't find the same motivation to get out on the bike as I do to get out running for whatever reason, but at present its really my only option.

I've been told I'm at least 4 weeks away from any running so may as well do what I can on the bike.

👀 👀 👀

Been a while.....

Not sure how to summarise the last year, I guess pretty stop-start. I'd get a bit of a run together, some easy runs, the odd parkrun but not really able to string too many days back to back. Seems like I'd have some sort of setback any time I got a head of steam together.

This has continued through this year with the added setbacks around illness and Covid more recently.

I spent a lot of last year focusing on cycling more than running, partially out of necessity but also found it a really nice change and really enjoyable.

Right now I'm trying to mix in some cycling and running. My HR is really high even at very slow paces so I'm trying to get some cycling in to get some aerobic/easy effort days.

I'm also going to continue with trying to get out running 3-4 times per week and hoping my HR will start to come down on easy runs. I'll also continue to try and build a long run into the schedule, currently this is around 1 hour but will hope to build on this.

Currently I'm not doing any sessions and haven't done any this year.

Have an entry for both Chicago and Dublin this year and will hope to be able to at least get around Chicago in October. Other races on the calendar are Streets of Galway 8km in August and the Dingle Half in September.

Fun times.

I'll try to update things once per week starting with the first week attempting to pick up training after Covid.

Monday July 4th - 16 Mile Cycle - 12.9 mph - Avg HR - 80%

First effort back, 1 hour on the bike around my old lockdown route felt pretty hard. HR was up around 80% of max which I wouldn't ever expect to see on a bike ride.

Tuesday - July 5th - 3 Mile Run - 10:25 m/m - Avg HR - 79%

First run back and this was incredibly tough. I kept having to stop to recover. Obvious its going to take a long time to get back to 'normal'.

Wednesday - July 6th - 21.9 Mile Cycle - 12.9 mph - Avg HR - 68%

This was a bit better, a fairly significant climb included, which felt very tough but got through it. Still feels a lot harder than it should.

Thursday July 7th - Off

Friday July 8th - 3 Mile Run - 10:47 -m/m - Avg HR - 82%

At least on this one I manged to complete the 3 miles without stopping. Small victories. Heart rate at 82% is more indicative of a threshold run than an easy run though.

Saturday July 9th - 25.6 Mile Cycle - 15 mph - Avg HR - 67%

Nice route up along the coast. Felt a bit better at least. Got up Killiney hill easily enough :)

July 10th - 6 Mile Run - 11:00 m/m - Avg HR - 83 %

This was tough and hot, I wanted to start including a long run so decided to start with around an hour. I needed to stop after a lap of Tymon, got going again after a while but needed another walk break on the second lap. 83% of max average HR shows how tough this felt.

Weekly total: 12 Miles Running/72 Miles cycling.

I plan to use the cycling to supplement running for the next while because:

1. I'm not finding it possible to do any easy runs right now, everything feels hard, at least on the bike I can get some aerobic benefit without killing myself.
    2. With the foot injury still lingering running everyday or even too many consecutive days just isn't going to be possible
    3. I enjoy it, particularly when the weather is good.

Monday July 11th - Rest Day

Needed rest day after the previous days tough run.

Tuesday July 12th - 4 Mile Run - 10:30 m/m - HR 84%

Added 1 mile to my mid-week runs, managed to run the whole thing without stopping but 84% of max HR shows how much effort these runs are taking out of me.

Wednesday July 13th - 25 Mile Cycle - 15.2 mph - HR 66%

Out to Enniskerry and back, tried to maintain a good speed on this one. Went well and really these sort of efforts are what is really what the easy runs should be providing but for the moment the bike rides will have to suffice.

Thursday July 14th - 4 Mile Run - 10:42 m/m - HR 80%

Similar to Tuesday. The legs were a bit dead after the cycle but other than that it is fairly much the same as Tuesday, working too hard for such a slow pace.

Friday July 15th - 15.8 Mile cycle - 14.9 mph - HR 59%

Short 1 hour on the bike just to really get something done for the day.

Saturday July 16th - 8 Mile Run - 10:35 - HR 84%

This was tough. Hot, back in Tymon and was pretty f**ked after only a few miles, struggled through it but had to stop a few times. I'm putting a bit of this down to the heat as well as the recovery from Covid and general lack of fitness.

Sunday July 17th - Off

All Ireland final, didn't exactly go brilliantly but great day out and Kilkenny did about as well as they could have done.

Weekly Total: Running 16 Miles, Cycling 54.9 Miles

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Honestly, A, if I was getting those kind of HR readings on an easy run I would take a longer break - especially as this is now a well documented post-covid experience for a lot of runners. I’d stick to the bike and try a run in another week or two.

Great to see you back all the same and I’d love to see you make Chicago.

Thanks D, I see where you are coming from. I just think its part of the process of getting back. The above is all from last week, this week has been a lot better with the HR more where I would expect it to be on easy runs(albeit at a slower pace), probably helped by the cooler weather.

I'll keep an eye on it for sure but for now I'll keep the easy runs super slow and keep a close eye on the HR.

Monday July 18th - Cycle 55 Miles - 12.2 MPH - HR 66%

Given the weather I took the day off work and spent the day in and around the Wicklow mountains. This is perhaps my favourite cycling route from Dublin up Cruagh road, along militiary road all the way to Laragh and back via Green Road and Enniskerry. I found it tough enough as I don't have a huge amount of mileage in the legs. 1,3200m of climbing and 4.5 hours.

Tuesday July 19th - Rest

Recovery from the cycle with just the cycle commute to the office.

Wednesday July 20th - Run 5 Miles @ 10:52 - HR 75%

Extending the mid-week by a further mile, keeping it super slow and happy to see the HR starting to stabalise in and around what I expect from an easy run.

Thursday July 21st - Run 3 Miles @ 10:35 m/m - HR 71%

I wanted to see how the foot would react to back to back easy runs, kept it short. Again able to keep it nice and easy which is good. The foot was ok but can still feel it so would need to be careful not to over do it.

Friday July 22nd - Cycle 25.3 Miles - 13.2 mph - HR 57%

Kept it super relaxed on the way out to Dalkey and back. Quite enjoyable and just that one climb up Killiney Hill. Part of the problem with cycling is you really need to be spending 2 hours to get any real fitness benefit.

Saturday July 23rd - Run 10 Miles @ 11:03 m/m - HR 79.7%

Tough one, started out ok for the first half and a bit beyond, was running at an easy pace and found it ok but once I got to the turnaround or a little beyond I found it much harder to control heart rate. I guess its to be expected on a longer run, I had to stop a couple of times to ensure the HR didn't go completely into the red. Still represents a fair bit of progress from the 8 mile run last week.

Sunday July 24th - Off

Weekly Total: Running 18 Miles, Cycling 94.6 Miles

Advertisement