Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile homes, anyone?

Options
  • 21-06-2013 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

So my lease is going to finish by the end of September and I will need another place. I've been looking for a while and it's being a pain finding a nice place that allows pets, and there's no way I can afford a house.

So one day I was looking for alternatives and I stumbled into Mobile homes. After some research I quite liked the idea, but there are some points where I need help.

1. Were in Cork can I have a mobile home, living full-time and with a cat?
    2. How do I get energy/water/Internet, all that?
    3. Is it actually doable, here in Ireland?
    4. Please stop laughting at me, I mean this.

Any help will be welcome! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

First of all, do you have a site to put any house on?
    Secondly, do you actually have a housing need, as opposed to a housing want.

It is unlikely that any local authority would view a mobile home as permanent accommodation and therefore would not be favourable to granting unrestricted planning permission for the use of one.

I know some caravan/mobile home parks allow off-season use of their services for anyone wintering in a mobile on a temporary basis, but this is down to the individual park owners and their planning/licencing conditions.

The LA won't be bothered by the cat, in any event, the bigger issues are housing need and congruent building fabric.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,015 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved from Construction & Planning

• Registered Users Posts: 18 carlab_ie

Sorry for posting in the wrong place. :(

So, really, no chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

carlab_ie wrote: »
    So, really, no chance?

I would never say that.....you could always be the first.

I read somewhere that in the UK some retired people get one of these houses to live in the countryside, however I am also worried about correspondence and such. It would be not only because it's cheaper, also because I intend to live in Ireland for a couple of years but don't really know where I'll be during these years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Try caravan parks. Some of them will have mobile homes as well as caravans. They will be serviced with water/electricity and you can use a mobile broadband dongle for internet. They would be dearer in summer but might be cheaper in winter (or the site may close altogether)

Gulliver wrote: »
    Try caravan parks. Some of them will have mobile homes as well as caravans. They will be serviced with water/electricity and you can use a mobile broadband dongle for internet. They would be dearer in summer but might be cheaper in winter (or the site may close altogether)

I've been looking for them, yesterday I emailed some about more information. I'm sure they'll answer as soon as they stop laughting at my request. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Did you hear anymore back on this...

I didn't get any answer to my emails yet. I might start calling to parks and the Revenue during this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

Dont move into one, I just moved out from one. I only wanted to stay for a few months but ended up for way longer ha
    i had water and electricity, so that was fine and can be done (must be proper done tho).
    but the wintertime? waaaaaaaay too cold.
    mine was already a "new" model and supposed to be isolated. even tho it had double glassed windows, it was very cold and it stays only warm as long as u turn on the heater. u need one of those big gas bottles (90euro) every 2 weeks (for only heating 2-3 hours a day). imagine how cold it is....
    i do not recommend it, also loads of mold normally.

u can find nice places (even with pets, i have dogs) a bit outside of cork, like 20-30 mins to drive :)
    if u have more questions, let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Doesn't sound so good now thanks for the tip off

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

no problem.
    its fine for the summer time, but really a pain when its cold. if u easily freeze i would also not recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Stoves work pretty good in them in the winter though,put slow burners on before going to bed and shut the dampers,should fight of the cold for the night.

I just gave up. Even if I got a mobile home in site I would have to sell the same site and buy other one. Oh well, I guess I'll have to stuck with renting then. :-/

How about buying a boat and living on a marina? Cheapest way to live in Kinsale I'd imagine.

It's an interesting suggestion but I don't think my cat would enjoy that. :S

Advertisement