Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent Broken Down In France

Options
  • 21-06-2013 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have broken down with my motor home in France aprox 100kms east of paris the garage where my motor home was towed to of the motorway wants a small fortune to fix. i am looking for advice on who to contact to get the motorhome towed to cherbourg (440kms) or roscoff(600kms) to get it on the ferry to rosslare where i have somebody to pick it up.

I need a tow truck/flat bed capable of carrying 3500 kgs with a length of 7.5m and a height of 3.2. with a time scale of within the next 7 days.

needless to say any help gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭Tow

Would it not be better (cheaper) to find another local garage to fix it, rather than the one who thinks they have your by the...

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭daddy_boy

its the parts that are expensive circa 10000 (new turbo and block) which i can source back home for circa 3500

Ouch. Another cheaper option is to hire a van as a commuter while you sort things locally.

Ouch. Another cheaper option is to hire a van as a commuter while you sort things locally.
    just looking to get a tow truck sorted at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Have you contacted your insurance company?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

definitely get another quote and speak to your insurer.

if you don't speak French, find someone who can help translate and negotiate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Whatever about a new turbo I cannot see why you need a new block unless you drove over a landmine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I thought the breakdown cover that comes with the insurance covers bringing the van back to Ireland too?

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Have you contacted your insurance company?

the insurance i have just takes me of the motor way to the nearest garage up to 50kms max

SpaceTime wrote: »
    definitely get another quote and speak to your insurer.

if you don't speak French, find someone who can help translate and negotiate!

i have queried the cost but the parts and vat make up the majority of the quote

• Advertisement

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Whatever about a new turbo I cannot see why you need a new block unless you drove over a landmine.

the turbo apparently put oil into the block and made it over run so it needs to be replaced

*Kol* wrote: »
    I thought the breakdown cover that comes with the insurance covers bringing the van back to Ireland too?

unfortunately not with the insurance i took out with dolmon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

daddy_boy wrote: »
    the turbo apparently put oil into the block and made it over run so it needs to be replaced
    That sounds like a pile of poo IMO. Get a second opinion before you make any decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭conor2469

There are different logistics companies that deal with this sort of thing, here is one example:

http://www.anchorvehiclelogistics.com/europeanrecovery.html

They are a UK company but might take you to a port to get an irish ferry?

I'm sure there are lots of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

Get it towed to cherbourg ferry, the port workers will load it on and off at rosslare, collect when you get home.

conor2469 wrote: »
    There are different logistics companies that deal with this sort of thing, here is one example:

many thanks

Mech1 wrote: »
    Get it towed to cherbourg ferry, the port workers will load it on and off at rosslare, collect when you get home.

that's what i am looking to do = hence looking for a towing company

conor2469 wrote: »

just tried them only do UK vehicles as they consolidate and collect them in one go - asked for ideas and no help !!

There should be a local recovery truck that will get it to the ferry for a reasonable fee. What area are you in? I know east of Paris, but can you be more specific about the area?

Gosub wrote: »
    There should be a local recovery truck that will get it to the ferry for a reasonable fee. What area are you in? I know east of Paris, but can you be more specific about the area?

varennes sur seine 77130

• Advertisement

varennes sur seine 77130

sorry should have said south east more than east

I've been scouring Google to see if I can find a recovery service near you. Not easy as I don't understand French. :o Maybe one of the big recovery companies might be of help... Mondial?

Try to find an local truck (grue?) and strike a deal to get the van to the ferry. The local ferry terminal staff are usually quite helpful and will get the thing on to the ferry... same at the other end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

That sounds like a pile of poo IMO. Get a second opinion before you make any decisions.

Very common actually when the turbo seal goes the engine can run to unlimited revs on the oil as a fuel and eventually throws a conrod or two. Unless your engine has a throttle body to cut off the air once it hits the rev limit of course.

Really sorry to hear about your trouble, fingers crossed you'll get sorted. I'd definitely rather put a complete used engine and turbo in that get some unknown place to rebuild it. Keep the head, injectors, pump etc, for spares.

If you can find a friendly local to do the negotiation with the scrap yard you should be able to get it a heck of a lot cheaper.

paddyp wrote: »
    Very common actually when the turbo seal goes the engine can run to unlimited revs on the oil as a fuel and eventually throws a conrod or two. Unless your engine has a throttle body to cut off the air once it hits the rev limit of course.

Ah right. That makes sense now.

Ah right. That makes sense now.

thats what happend - i was told after the event i should have put it into fifth gear and stalled it to stop it running on

paddyp wrote: »

If you can find a friendly local to do the negotiation with the scrap yard you should be able to get it a heck of a lot cheaper.

thats why iwant to get it home as i will be able to source the bits over a period of time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

its the parts that are expensive circa 10000 (new turbo and block) which i can source back home for circa 3500

If you can't get the motorhome towed home why not have the €3,500 part shipped to your location thus saving you €6,500. Simples :D

For that kind of saving you could fly home, borrow/rent a van, stick the replacement block etc in the van, get the ferry back over and have the local garage fix it and still save yourself €5,000!!

Ben

I've been scouring Google to see if I can find a recovery service near you. Not easy as I don't understand French. :o Maybe one of the big recovery companies might be of help... Mondial?

Try to find an local truck (grue?) and strike a deal to get the van to the ferry. The local ferry terminal staff are usually quite helpful and will get the thing on to the ferry... same at the other end.

ferry port is the easy part as i have spoken to celtic link at it is not a problem just need to get it to cherbourg as i have spoken to mondial and axa and they are trying to get me a quote for towing to cherbourg and i have a tow truck ready to pick up in rosslarre - its just the french bit !!

BenThere wrote: »
    If you can't get the motorhome towed home why not have the €3,500 part shipped to your location thus saving you €6,500. Simples :D

For that kind of saving you could fly home, borrow/rent a van, stick the replacement block etc in the van, get the ferry back over and have the local garage fix it and still save yourself €5,000!!

Ben

good idea Ben, but the money i would spend on van hire ferry/transport etc would be equivalent to getting it towed also when i get it fixed at home i can take my time doing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bargainbucket

You could try these according too google they do this all the time

Advertisement