Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent Broken Down In France

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

daddy_boy wrote: »
    good idea Ben, but the money i would spend on van hire ferry/transport etc would be equivalent to getting it towed also when i get it fixed at home i can take my time doing it

You sure about that daddy_boy? Could the bloc and all parts not be put on a pallet and shipped overnight/within 24/48 hours to your location for relatively little cost i.e. a few hundred euro? http://www.palletcourier.co.uk quote £205 for a full pallet from London to France. I'm sure an Irish company wouldn't be more than double that.

At least it's something to compare the towing and ferry cost to??

Best of luck.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 25 qwertyphobia1

My camper broke down near Limoges about five weeks ago. French company looking for 3500 euro to tow it to Roscoff???

Ended up getting it towed to the UK and work done on it there. With all the lorries going back and forth to Uk and France that was the cheaper option. Got work done in the UK and drove it home two days ago from hollyhead, Irish Ferries very helpful with switching booking. Will PM you the contact details of the guy we used

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Maurice G

Hi Daddy boy,

I sent you a pm late last night, did you get it? I had a similar situatiion to you in france last year and had to be trucked back to ireland.

Maurice.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

If you go to "www.pagesjaunes.fr" and do a search for "remorquage" (towing) in the "Varennes-sur-seine" location, you should be able to get a list of local companies who should be able to give you a quote to tow you back to Cherbourg. (I could paste the link but it doesn't seem to show the results of the actual search :confused:).

Been there, done that with a car many moons ago - with Celtic Link ; once again they are proving themselves of excellent service :)

Best of luck with your undertaking - not an easy one.

V

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

• Advertisement

trad wrote: »

Did they give you a quote? Can they get you home in a day or two?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭daddy_boy

Maurice G wrote: »
    Hi Daddy boy,

I sent you a pm late last night, did you get it? I had a similar situatiion to you in france last year and had to be trucked back to ireland.

Maurice.

many thanks got the pm
    ValerieR wrote: »
    If you go to "www.pagesjaunes.fr" and do a search for "remorquage" (towing) in the "Varennes-sur-seine" location, you should be able to get a list of local companies who should be able to give you a quote to tow you back to Cherbourg. (I could paste the link but it doesn't seem to show the results of the actual search :confused:).

Been there, done that with a car many moons ago - with Celtic Link ; once again they are proving themselves of excellent service :)

Best of luck with your undertaking - not an easy one.

V

many thanks have tried celtic link but there french office is closed till sunday afternoon
    trad wrote: »

many thanks will try them

many thanks will try them

You sorted yet daddy_boy?

Ben

BenThere wrote: »
    You sorted yet daddy_boy?

Ben

still trying to get sorted as celtic link France dont open till sunday afternoon, but should get sorted today - will keep you posted - once again thanks to everyone for all the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭amber2

still trying to get sorted as celtic link France dont open till sunday afternoon, but should get sorted today - will keep you posted - once again thanks to everyone for all the help

There is a guy John Flynn think he is in Wexford ships racing cars to Europe for their owners, has a flat bed truck which would ideal to get you home, he may even be at Le Mans at the mo. let me know if your interested and ill pm you his number.

• Advertisement

amber2 wrote: »
    There is a guy John Flynn think he is in Wexford ships racing cars to Europe for their owners, has a flat bed truck which would ideal to get you home, he may even be at Le Mans at the mo. let me know if your interested and ill pm you his number.

pm sent

pm sent

Just pm you his number daddy Boy hope he can help you out.

amber2 wrote: »
    Just pm you his number daddy Boy hope he can help you out.

many thanks just spoken to him but to expensive as looking for a return ticket on the ferry plus towing cost - looks like i have sorted it with a local tow firm for wend who are charging me 1000e to tow to cherbourg - hopefully now sorted out --

many thanks to everyone for all the help - i owe all of you a pint !!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mhen66

Hi, Sorry to hear of your troubles, (just reading your posts). I am in a camper in France at the moment near Jean De Monts heading north to Cherbourg for Celtic Link ferry on Wed. Is there anything I can do for you? Obviously I can't get your camper back but if there's something I could do let me know. Best of luck, I hope it works out for you.
    Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Daddy

Will be arriving in Cherbourg off IF on Weds morn if you need anything brought to you. Will be leaving house on Tuesday morning for Rosslare so can collect something for you tomo if needed

many thanks just spoken to him but to expensive as looking for a return ticket on the ferry plus towing cost - looks like i have sorted it with a local tow firm for wend who are charging me 1000e to tow to cherbourg - hopefully now sorted out --

many thanks to everyone for all the help - i owe all of you a pint !!

Gonna have a Boards beer meet up on Wednesday at Rosslare port for that free beer, I'm guessing we just might recognise you Daddy_boy well your camper anyhow. Sorry couldn't resist. Glad ur sorted. Hope all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

What's the best way to join? I tried joining online but they require a German address :eek:
    Ben
    you have to ring them
    Using the links below to acquire ADAC membership requires that your place of residence is in Germany. For technical reasons, our system does not support international addresses.
    If you do not have a German address, please contact an ADAC local office or call 01805 10 11 12 (14 cent/min German landline, max. 42 cent/min. from mobile networks). We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

http://www.adac.de/mitgliedschaft/adac_membership/default.aspx

OP, are you home yet????????????????

Ben

OP, are you home yet????????????????

Ben

Yep got back home this afternoon :) - once again thanks for all your help - and i can highly recomended celtic link

Just as a follow up if anybody comes across this thread in the future the transport company i used was

http://www.transports-routiers-stilh.fr/contact/
    +33 (0) 6 61 70 70 48
    highly recomended and they speak fairly good english

• Advertisement

glad to hear it all worked out OK for you.

As a result of this thread I'm no an ADAC member. Spent 3 weeks in France in July/August and of course never needed them but was glad to know if I did have an issue they'd be there.

Happy travelling all.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 39 glenmac

Used ADAC in Italy for a minor job great service.Arrived on site within 20min of the call being logged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

glenmac wrote: »
    Used ADAC in Italy for a minor job great service.Arrived on site within 20min of the call being logged.
    better than myself.
    Was sitting in Clonakility for tipping 2 hours the summer before last waiting on a tow truck!
    Stupid german car has no spare wheel, only a foam kit, so had to get towed to the nearest type place to get sorted with new rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

My brother-in-law had the ADAC out twice the week before last (it was The AA) who came) for a home start.
    Both times The AA arrived within 30 mins of the call to the ADAC.

Advertisement