Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survey Question- Structural or Pre Purchase?

Options
  • 21-06-2013 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi All,

I have long been a reader of this forum but this is only my second post- be gentle please. After two years of looking our bid has been accepted on a house that we love!! We are pinching ourselves to make sure it is real biggrin.png

I remember reading a topic some time ago discussing the merits of a structural survey or a pre-purchase survey and where each are done by a surveyor,engineer or architect.

The house is a 1901 property which- whilst waterproof- has seen better days and has been uninhabited for 5+ years. We had a builder look around it and know we will have to re-roof (or at least insulate& slate), dampproof, put down new floors, re-wire, re-plumb, put in heating and possibly have to go in for planning for an extension& a new location for a the septic tank.

Knowing the above, which type of survey should we look for?

I have rang two Architects this morning who referred me to Engineers so I'm not even sure if Architects provide such a service. If its not against charter rules any recommendations would be much appreciated (by PM please) for any Architect, Engineer or Surveyor that anybody used& was happy with.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You need a full Structural survey, look in golden pages ,house surveyor.
    COSTS maybe 300-500 euro.
    A full survey finds all the faults ,eg dry rot, leaks,things that need fixing,
    repair etc
    its likely there,ll be a few broken ,cracked ,tiles , that can cause
    leaks water damage .
    A HOUSE like that probably has next to zero insulation.
    A ROOF can leak you might not see it, cos water goes thru the attic .

tiles last a long time , you may only to replace part of the roof.
    A hole in a tile half a cm wide can cause a leak into the attic.
    one example,

http://careypeter.goldenpages.ie/

HE,LL list the repairs needed, and cost ,or total cost approx.
    eg if you use standard materials ,bricks,cement ,plaster.to bring it up to modern livable condition.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Troy2013 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have long been a reader of this forum but this is only my second post- be gentle please. After two years of looking our bid has been accepted on a house that we love!! We are pinching ourselves to make sure it is real biggrin.png

I remember reading a topic some time ago discussing the merits of a structural survey or a pre-purchase survey and where each are done by a surveyor,engineer or architect.

The house is a 1901 property which- whilst waterproof- has seen better days and has been uninhabited for 5+ years. We had a builder look around it and know we will have to re-roof (or at least insulate& slate), dampproof, put down new floors, re-wire, re-plumb, put in heating and possibly have to go in for planning for an extension& a new location for a the septic tank.

Knowing the above, which type of survey should we look for?

I have rang two Architects this morning who referred me to Engineers so I'm not even sure if Architects provide such a service. If its not against charter rules any recommendations would be much appreciated (by PM please) for any Architect, Engineer or Surveyor that anybody used& was happy with.

Thanks.

Hi OP,
    It is a full structural engineering survey that you would require. A period property in any condition always will have a degree of underlying issues that relate to construction method & material of the time.
    The 'heads' of items that should be included / reviewed in a structural survey.
    - Detail of the layout and design of the property from the ground floor to the roof line. General make up & material used in the construction.
    - Properties current state of repair & costs associated with work
    - Modernization of services (electric, plumbing, heating, ventilation, waste water / septic, etc.) (& Costs €)
    - Modernization of energy efficiency (insulation, windows & door replacement) (& Costs €)
    - Property boundary make up & delineation ( & further review may also be warranted as property pre dates 63' & planning regs)
    - Site Historical information & status of the structure (Record of protected structures, heritage etc.)
    - Flood risk ?
    - Take account & give advice's on proposed renovations, extensions & renewable energy improvements.

Your chosen company or professional should carry adequate professional Indemnity insurance for building structural surveys
    mike f :)

Advertisement