Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a charge with Irish cards using a UK atm?

Options
  • 21-06-2013 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭

Was in Manchester couple days ago just checking my bank statement.

I took 30 pound sterling out and the statement has 35.41 euro which is the exchange rate fair enough. There was also a ATM CHG GBP 30 at 3.17 euro wtf is this about??

I always taught you could use your card in England and not be taxed ? I wasnt even taxed when i used it in Lanzarote dozens of times last year.

I have a Bank of Ireland Visa Debit card.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

You can be charged, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Its the commission fee for changing it from Euro to Sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Is there a way of avoiding this by using only certain atm s? Or do i have to go and change it to sterling in the bank now instead to avoid this?.

Is this an EU issue ? Cause i wasnt charged in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Its a Euro issue. If you were buying GBP in a bureau de change you would have an exchange rate and a commission charge. This is no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

if you were to withdraw Sterling from an ATM in Spain (perhaps in an Airport) you would also be charged commission for the conversion from Euro to Sterling..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Using a boi card in a boi machine in the uk is a way of getting around this.
    I think all the uk post office machines are run by boi, but that may have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

dobsdave wrote: »
    Using a boi card in a boi machine in the uk is a way of getting around this.
    I think all the uk post office machines are run by boi, but that may have changed.

I thought that was the case as well but when I went to a post office in Earl's Court last year, there was no ATM, inside or outside.

OP, Bank of Ireland charge 3.5% of the transaction with a minimum of €3.17 which means you will get royally screwed taking out small amounts.

They don't charge for Euro withdrawals so in this part of the world the UK is an expensive place to withdraw cash, best buy it before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭anonanymore

Cash withdrawal at a Royal Bank of Scotland, NatWest or Ulster Bank cash machine in the UK with Ulster Bank Visa Euro debit card has no charge I think

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Cash withdrawal at a Royal Bank of Scotland, NatWest or Ulster Bank cash machine in the UK with Ulster Bank Visa Euro debit card has no charge I think

That appears to be the case, see the grid showing charges at this webpage. No charge for UB customers withdrawing cash at RBoS, NatWest or UB machines in the UK....

http://www.ulsterbank.ie/roi/personal/daily-banking/current-accounts/help-guides/debit-cards-abroad.ashx

Before anyone asks, the reference to Ulster Bank ATMs in the 'UK' obviously means cash machines in NI since I don't believe the Ulster Bank brand is used in GB.

Advertisement