Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unkels new car?

• 21-06-2013 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Time for a change soon. What would you suggest? Links to actual cars for sale appreciated too!

Criteria:

Budget: €2k - €3k, or maybe a little bit more for the right car

Type of car: Saloon or hatchback only, 4 doors. No SUV / MPV / estate

Age: 2004 or newer. Preferably 2006. The newer the better :)

Size: at least D-segment size (Peugeot 407 / Audi A4, etc.)

Fuel: petrol, but would not exclude diesel altogether or LPG. My mileage is only about 6-7k miles per year, so petrol would generally make the most sense

Transmission: I like autos but I'll gladly settle for a manual once again

Engine size: max 2l, would consider up to 2.5l but no more unless there is a good bit of tax left on it

NCT left: Must have the guts of a years NCT left, the more the better!

For all of you who don't know me: must be very good value for money :D

Anything considered but I would not like to own an Opel Vectra, Toyota Avensis, Hyundai Sonata, Lexus IS200, Kia Magentis, Nissan Primera or any Mercedes or Alfa Romeo within these constraints. Mrs unkel is not keen on Volvos unfortunately :(

I never buy the same car twice so that excludes Saab 9-5, Rover 75, BMW 5-series E39

Please don't waste your time or mine by selecting anything outside these criteria. Your help and suggestions are much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Ford Mondeo?

no-image-large.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Alfa 166

/runs for cover

edit - no Alfas I see. Unkel is no fun! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Unkel, do you REALLY need to ask??? We all know you will forget about the "newer the better" thing and go for an E39 :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I'm usually the same, i.e. rarely buy the same car twice. Hard to see passed an 02/03 520 Sport for your criteria though. If you stretch the budget would you manage an E60?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Nice looking Superb here for €2500, NCT 02/14, but it's an '03.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-superb-1-8t-150bhp/4780587
    View2-18595606.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

End Thread/

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46653

look at how comfortable those seats look...inviting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Mondeo - decent cars, good value for money. The newer model has been dropping in price like a stone recently. I could nearly get one if I upped the budget a bit. On the shortlist!

Accord - nice car! Honda sell them new in Ireland for a significant premium over other cars (because they can) and that makes them expensive second hand too. It's out unless I found a reasonably priced one (fat chance)

5-series (E60) - I like BMWs and haven't owned one in 2 years. I can only imagine how hard it is to sell an aging 2.2-2.5 liter petrol car at the moment. So buying one will be great :D Mrs unkel likes these too, so it is on the shortlist!

Superb - I like all Skodas in general and the Superb in particular. This old model is looking a lot like a Passat B5, which is looking increasingly ancient now. It's out.

S-type - wow, great find. Straight on the shortlist!

All cars I haven't commented on were outside of the criteria folks. These might not make sense to you and they might be irrational, but they are there for a reason :)

Keep the suggestions coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Red Kev wrote: »
    Nice looking Superb here for €2500, NCT 02/14, but it's an '03.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-superb-1-8t-150bhp/4780587
    View2-18595606.jpeg

The Mileage :eek:

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    End Thread/

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46653

look at how comfortable those seats look...inviting

Wheels ruin it - for mw anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Citroen....? Mazda 6? A 166.... Fudge!

Hauld on till I get to a pc :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Wheels ruin it - for mw anyhow.

wasnt sure if you could take them off. These wheels must be the stuck on type.

Back to the drawing board so.

dgt wrote: »
    Citroen....? Mazda 6?

Yep C5 (with hydractive only) definitely on shortlist. Mazda 6 petrol decent reliable car (bit boring). On the shortlist, but on the bottom :)

Get yourself to that PC pronto :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-legacy-2005-4-wheel-drive/4973096

Possibly too good to be true.

edit: never read beyond 1st page :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

unkel wrote: »
    Yep C5 (with hydractive only) definitely on shortlist. Mazda 6 petrol decent reliable car (bit boring). On the shortlist, but on the bottom :)

MPS! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Volvo S60 2.0T in budget?

Edit; scratch that, only read last line of OP now. Was wondering why nobody else had suggested a Volvo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

At the plaptop :pac:

NCT till March, 2300

What crappy wheels though....
    Full-19902454.jpeg

Ah fudge, that Legacy was spotted already!

NCT'd, 1850

Full-20732130.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Volvo S60 2.0T in budget?

Edit; scratch that, only read last line of OP now. Was wondering why nobody else had suggested a Volvo!

Pity that's not an option. Serious value to be had!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Unkel I've got something that fulfils all your criteria ;)

View2-17550021.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/04-mazda-6-serviced-and-well-maintained/4574629

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Always had a soft spot for these.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Camry/2.4-VVT-/33413598148354280/advert?channel=CARS

Given the engine size I reckon they'd take your hand off for your budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A little bigger than D Segment but not by much and motor tax is about €200 extra a year over a 2.0 litre but it looks to be a fairly fresh car for the money and it's an auto:

media?xwm=y&id=14247442&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Peugeot/607/car/201321215051237/

Or a higher spec manual:
    media?xwm=y&id=751d139c-0fb8-444c-8cb7-6e73188d5ada&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Peugeot/607/SE-EBONY/31413594819801860/

Personally I think you will struggle to find something that fits all your criteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

ninty9er wrote: »
    Always had a soft spot for these.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Camry/2.4-VVT-/33413598148354280/advert?channel=CARS

Given the engine size I reckon they'd take your hand off for your budget

€5k asking. Wouldn't you get a decent petrol Lexus for that? Much prefer a Lexus to a Toyota. Same company, but Lexus' looks so much better. Better image too.

A Lexus is worth considering now that I think of it.

listermint wrote: »
    wasnt sure if you could take them off. These wheels must be the stuck on type.

Back to the drawing board so.

Who wants to spend money on wheels and tyres on a €2.5k car? You would add 50% to the cost doing that. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Who wants to spend money on wheels and tyres on a €2.5k car? You would add 50% to the cost doing that. ;)

Not if you're clever.
    Plenty of great second handers around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

€5k asking. Wouldn't you get a decent petrol Lexus for that? Much prefer a Lexus to a Toyota. Same company, but Lexus' looks so much better. Better image too.

A Lexus is worth considering now that I think of it.

Not a 04+ under 2.5l

The only one is the IS and that's on the out list.

The GS is a nice car, but the cost of owning one in Ireland is a huge disincentive.

CianRyan wrote: »
    Not if you're clever.
    Plenty of great second handers around.

Been there, done that.

Hold out and buy the car with the spec you want. It's out there and will save you a packet as opposed to investing in aftermarket stuff unless you're looking at something rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

s-type is overpriced at that money, i've just bought an 03 for €1400!!! would recommend it any day of the week, if your anywhere near me your welcome to have alook around it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

I'd have no hesitation in recommending the facelift Laguna II. I know the petrol is only 1.6 but I've been looking at buying one myself and I've done a bit of research. A Renault mechanic said not to touch a pre-facelift but the facelift one from 2005 on is very good.

Here is a review of the Laguna II. Read the last three paragraphs on the facelift one. Go for a Privilage Sky model, it has nearly everything going, cruise control, all electric windows, air con/climate control, sunroof, auto lights/wipers etc.

This is an example of a 2006 one that would fit into your budget.

Happy hunting! :)

Thanks folks! Where to start my comments on the second batch of your suggestions? Here:

bazz26 wrote: »
    Personally I think you will struggle to find something that fits all your criteria.

Many people on this thread, yourself included, have already proven you wrong :)

I will of course find a car within my criteria. Everybody is selling big petrol engined cars. Nobody is buying (except me). And remember that my budget is flexible upwards too?

Indeed. Anybody who know me knows I will pay for the car but my budget for modifications / improvements is zero. The car needs to come with good tyres and an NCT. It needs no money spending on it

Legacy - looks like a great deal, Bigus. NCT is very short though. I would want that tested before I bought it.

@dgt - I know it will be very hard for you, but you can do it. Try to think a bit more budget than bangernomics here for a change! :p

@CiniO - decent car for the money, but the 6 is bottom of my short list. And no, I'm not really considering an MPS either, CianRyan :D. Brother-in-law has the standard 6 N/A 2.3 auto (high spec) and he is very pleased with it though... It's not off the list yet :)

@ninty9er - the Camry is poor value for money imho. Don't really like them and very little poke for my motor tax dollar. It's out, sorry :)

@bazz26 - I like the 607, bit of a dark horse here! I know the bad rep but that hasn't stopped me buying cheap cars with bad rep before which all turned out to be pleasant ownership experiences. I ain't afraid, it's on the shortlist!

@renofan - as per the 607, I'm not afraid of a Laguna II. I can't really warm to the (looks of the) car though. It's out, sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Renault Vel Satis or very left field Avantime?

Hyundai XG or Grandeur

I'd take a chance on the Legacy NCT At 1750, however check head gaskets

ba_barabus wrote: »

Hyundai XG or Grandeur

vel satis = scrap

Bigus wrote: »
    vel satis = scrap

To be honest I've never been in a fully functioning one. 04D1 was the last mobile warning alarm I was in

• Advertisement

Bigus wrote: »
    I'd take a chance on the Legacy NCT At 1750, however check head gaskets

Googled the sellers number and he has many cars for sale. "All new tyres" don't look new to me either. There's a smell coming out of my keyboard here that I don't like :)

Hyundai XG or Grandeur

I'm as brave as the next man to take on cars that everyone else in the pub calls unreliable or just plain shaite. There are limits though, BA ;)

There are limits though, BA ;)

I'm trying for left field but maybe I over shot the marker ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I'm trying for left field but maybe I over shot the marker ;)

You most certainly did...you're in the next field :pac:

I'm trying to find something like a Passat W8, or Toledo or Bora v5 or 4 motion. Nice Q-cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Ded_Zebra wrote: »

No volvos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

No volvos

tumblr_lndswgG1Np1qch7pn.jpg

I'm trying to find something like a Passat W8, or Toledo or Bora v5 or 4 motion. Nice Q-cars

Don't bother with any of those. But if you can find a VW Phaeton anywhere near budget you can help me apply the "Passat" and "1.9TDI" stickers and mrs unkel will never need to know :D

Don't bother with any of those. But if you can find a VW Phaeton anywhere near budget you can help me apply the "Passat" and "1.9TDI" stickers and mrs unkel will never need to know :D

I've already searched the Phaetons.

Would you go to the UK and pick up a Phaeton or C6 there?

They are going cheap at auction if you know what you're at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Purely out of interest, you sure you wouldn't be tempted by a facelift 166? There's a few for sale now on donedeal. Great car's and quite rare on the roads too!

Honestly, all joking aside I'm genuinely curious...:)

Would you go to the UK and pick up a Phaeton or C6 there?

Nope. Big older petrol cars are cheaper in Ireland than anywhere else in the world. I'm happy to play the lone buyer game in a country full of sellers :)

Are all Italian cars out?

Technically its a hatchback.........Fiat Croma?

There is a nice red 2003 Honda Legend 3.5 V6 on dd in a main dealer for 4k. Looks very good

Are all Italian cars out?

Of course they are not out, I love Italian cars! The only reason I excluded Alfa Romeo is that the 156/166 are too old now for my liking and the 159 surely is not within budget?
    Fiat Croma?

I admit I do not know much about that car. Any suggestions? (hint: link to an actual Irish ad would be great)

• Advertisement
Advertisement