Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyber bullying

• 21-06-2013 3:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 325 ✭✭

With all the drama with cyber bullying on Facebook I'm just wondering what case would someone have if any if something was written up on Facebook about them but didn't name them. As in it referred to them as 'she'. For example "she's a sick crazy individual"

The person knows its about them but can they actually do anything? Have we any ruling for cyber bullying/harassment?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

With all the drama with cyber bullying on Facebook I'm just wondering what case would someone have if any if something was written up on Facebook about them but didn't name them. As in it referred to them as 'she'. For example "she's a sick crazy individual"

The person knows its about them but can they actually do anything? Have we any ruling for cyber bullying/harassment?

6.— (1) The tort of libel and the tort of slander—

(a) shall cease to be so described, and

(b) shall, instead, be collectively described, and are referred to in this Act, as the “ tort of defamation ”.

(2) The tort of defamation consists of the publication, by any means, of a defamatory statement concerning a person to one or more than one person (other than the first-mentioned person), and “ defamation ” shall be construed accordingly.

(3) A defamatory statement concerns a person if it could reasonably be understood as referring to him or her.

However I do have to make the comment that Facebook is not required for survival and much heart ache could be saved by just turning the bloody thing off and rising above it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Just read an article that said that the Dept of Education's guidelines on bullying/harrassment could be arguably extendable to cyberbullying.

There is no specific legislation on it, as far as I'm aware. The authors said it was currently a grey area.

Article on p24 of the PDF at this link:
    http://www.lawsociety.ie/Documents/Gazette/2013/june2013.pdf

Advertisement