Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger 10/22 - Let The Pimping Begin

Options
  • 21-06-2013 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭

I was playing with the idea of getting into Gallery rifle for a while from watching the comps while waiting to shoot a round of BR. It looked like great fun so on the 1st of June I put a deposit on a Ruger 10/22 with the intentions of pimping it out.
    I couldn't apply for the license until I got an alarm fitted. So to pass the time I ordered a Boyds Evo stock, Kidd single stage trigger, bolt buffer and cocking handle & spring kit.

DSC_0150_zps755d03f4.jpg

On the 13th the alarm went in and so did the license application. I got the grant letter in the post today and paid it straight away. This has been the quickest application yet with just over a week from handing in the application to receiving the grant letter.

I hope to pick up the rifle this evening or tomorrow and hopefully will be able to show what differences a new stock and trigger makes to the group sizes.

More pics to follow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Look forward to updates :D

Would LOVE a CZ versus 10/22 50 yard group comparison through all stages of 10/22 pimpage. Put some facts n figures on accuracy of bolt versus semi and also you could track the improvements in accuracy on the 10/22 as you add more upgrades.

10 round groups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

A Cz Vs 10/22 test would be interesting alright but the difference is the Cz cost €20-30 and some elbow grease to improve where as I've spent A LOT more on the parts in the pic already. Still will be interesting to see what the end results are.
    I may have a look to see if I still have the targets lying around from the Cz testing to measure group sizes.

I'll see what tools I'll need to take apart the 10/22 and remove the trigger and I'll load them up for a range day tomorrow :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Looking forward to seeing how it goes Dev, thanks for taking the time to post it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

dev110 wrote: »
    A Cz Vs 10/22 test would be interesting alright but the difference is the Cz cost €20-30 and some elbow grease to improve where as I've spent A LOT more on the parts in the pic already. Still will be interesting to see what the end results are.
    I may have a look to see if I still have the targets lying around from the Cz testing to measure group sizes.

I'll see what tools I'll need to take apart the 10/22 and remove the trigger and I'll load them up for a range day tomorrow :cool:

Well your have it apart in 30sec 'cos there only 1 action screw and 2 pins hold in the trigger unit.

Best groups I got was 1/4" @50m :P:P:P, it will never out shoot a bolt action, but it's horses for courses.

Well ware young man

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

There are plenty of tiny groups shot with 10/22 style guns on Rimfire Central http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=462794 it gives you an idea what can be done

• Advertisement

I got to pick up the rifle off Dave Mulvihill before work and mounted the scope last night when I got home.

10/22 Stainless Carbine
    Bushnell Banner 6-18x50
    Warne Mounts

Picture is terrible but wanted to get something to show what it looked like before I added the Kidd bolt buffer and Cocking handle last night.

a032f010-0e34-43fd-a5b9-9d348090a114_zps6a911df9.jpg

DSC_0152_zps9bfb2a20.jpg

Heading up to the range in a few minutes to see what she can do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

You have all the main upgrades there Dev, Trigger will make the most difference! Iv mine done in a similar way and it will group between a 1/4 and 1/2 inch with standard ammo!!
    All thats left is a custom receiver or Just a refinish of the factory one! Not 100% just yet!!!

Enjoy it

Pic to Follow Cant upload from the phone!

20130604_152329.jpg

Well Dev how did you find the factory model?

I had a testing plan worked out for Saturday but things didn't go to plan.

I first tested it completely standard. The stock is so narrow that trying to shoot it in a rest and rear bag was harder than it should be because it could keep twisting in the front rest.
    The trigger was like trying to pull a wall with your index finger. It must be easily 3-4 lbs. Regardless of this it wasn't doing to badly.

I then changed the trigger and kept it in the original stock as a lot of people say that just a trigger change will work wonders. Once I had this done I realised that the front mount was loose. I couldn't believe it as this completely ruined the factory results. Clearly mounting a scope after work at 4 in the morning doesn't work out to well :o
    I was in two minds at this stage as to go back to the beginning or to push on with the test. I decided to push on as I had things that had to be done at home.

Lined up for the next target on the BR target and the first shot drops straight into the first target group and the next followed. The test was officially over at this stage.

The Kidd SS is an amazing bit of kit but I suppose anything would be compared to the factory trigger.

I changed out the stock and decided to have some fun. The rifle is capable of good groups but it likes to be shot differently to my CZ. The CZ like to be nearly clamped down in the rest and back bag where as the 10/22 likes minimal contact which I can't quiet master yet. I can get 5 shots touching but then as I move onto the last 5 shots I start getting flyers as I started thinking to much about the hold and the group.

I couldn't try a detail of T&P as there was a pistol competition on. I need to sort out my drops for 10, 15 & 25m and try get some practice in for the internationals. I'm happy with the rifle so far but can't wait to get the barrel and bolt sorted.

DSC_0155_zps247bf767.jpg
    DSC_0156_zpsc2d03d23.jpg
    DSC_0157_zps50dd346a.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Taking shape nicely dev. What are your plans for the barrel?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Very Nice Dev!!!

The first thing to be done should always be the trigger!! Kidd single stage is about as good as it gets !!

The black cocking handle looks great!

Barrel plans are you looking at light or heavy options?

Thanks lads.

For the barrel I'll be going with a 16.5" Kidd Bull Barrel. The rifle will be a full Kidd rifle with a ruger action when I'm done.

I'd order a barrel and bolt now if I could but I need to get magazines, which I can't get anywhere so if anyone knows of any dealers with them please give me a PM, mag holders and probably other bits I can't think of now.

I'm going to leave the rifle the way it is for now and just concentrate on getting some practice in and then finish her off from the end of July on.

Thanks for all the PM's lads. I've gotten sorted with the mags :)

Advertisement