Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parcel Motel

• 21-06-2013 3:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭

I have seen it here countless times but how does it work?

If I am ordering something of Ebay or Amazon - do I put in the delivery address as a warehouse somewhere.

I want a printer of Ebay - it is an old one but a good one - printer is 30 but they are charging 30 for delivery also:eek: I was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative for the postage.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

parcelmotel give you a unique id and an address in northern ireland. its great

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

You sign up.

They give you an unique identifier like PM1234. Use this with their address and you can then avail of free postage to the UK.

They then deliver your post to one of their parcel motels. its very handy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

godtabh wrote: »
    You sign up.

They give you an unique identifier like PM1234. Use this with their address and you can then avail of free postage to the UK.

They then deliver your post to one of their parcel motels. its very handy

Do you then collect it from the parcel motel or do they post it. How is it cheaper for them to deliver?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I live in Newbridge.
    Their is a parcel motel place in town.
    If I order something it arrives to parcel motels office.
    They then ship it to the place in newbridge.
    They text me that the item(s) are at the parcel motel and I go to the parcel motel site.
    On a keypad I enter my mobile number and my unique parcel motel ID(PMID).
    The locker opens and I've got my item(s).
    On their website is a list of where they have lockers. Check it to see what's closest to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭MadamX

Queen-Mise wrote: »

If I am ordering something of Ebay or Amazon - do I put in the delivery address as a warehouse somewhere.

I want a printer of Ebay - it is an old one but a good one - printer is 30 but they are charging 30 for delivery also:eek: I was wondering if there was a cheaper alternative for the postage.

Clearly explained here http://www.parcelmotel.com/about.html

Excellent, reliable service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

When you join up, do you get two free uses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

You did, but a friend who signed up got an email that the offer was ending yesterday I think it was, so I'm not too sure.

Just checked my own account and I still have both my free uses active and waiting for me to order something.

Soundman wrote: »
    Just checked my own account and I still have both my free uses active and waiting for me to order something.

I signed up and got 3.50 on my account but should it be 7.00 for the two free uses

I think they have changed their allowances going on that email my friend got. I didn't read it properly though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Do you then collect it from the parcel motel or do they post it. How is it cheaper for them to deliver?
    It's not cheaper for them to deliver,it's only cheaper if you are buying something in the UK that only offers free or less shipping to the UK, and because you live in Ireland it suits you to use Parcel Motel Northern Ireland address (Antrim if I remember)your parcel still gets delivered to your chosen Parcel Motel Kiosk in R.o.I... BRILLIANT SERVICE And you get 2 free deliveries (stays)when you sign up, it's worth it, after that it only costs a couple of € ON TOP of shipping costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Leanne89

I never used parcel motel before so im just wondering can U use the Northern Ireland address to have items delivered if the website ur ordering from says "mainland Uk deliveries only?"

I got a free gift of a towel and slippers and I think the 3.50 on my account was used to deliver the gift :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shamelessidiot

So how do you tell which parcel motel to send it to?

Our
    introductory offer of two free stays ended on 22 July 2013. Instead,
    we are sending all new registered users a free welcome gift. We feel that this
    will give our new customers the chance to experience the Parcel Motel service
    immediately.

We are also offering you the chance to earn
    free stays by recommending our service to a friend. Please ask your friend
    to mention your PMID when they are registering and we will apply a free stay to
    your account for every friend that you refer. To celebrate our first
    birthday, if you refer a friend during July and August we will enter your friend
    into a draw to win one of 10 Xboxes.

Thanks
    again & kind regards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

So how do you tell which parcel motel to send it to?

When you sign up it asks you to choose one. If you want to place an order and require delivery to another, you'd have to amend the PM location on your account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Yeah i just signed up last week and the welcome gift(slippers & a towel) was all i got.. Still saved 7 euro on my first item using the free P&P to NI!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Leanne89 wrote: »
    I never used parcel motel before so im just wondering can U use the Northern Ireland address to have items delivered if the website ur ordering from says "mainland Uk deliveries only?"

Not if it explicitly says mainland only. Some order sites check the postcode and possibly amend the postal rate accordingly, others don't accept the order at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Parcel Motel is a God send.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

I have been converted. This is class.
    It will definitely be using it in future - I can't believe how handy it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Ludikrus

Really impressed with Parcel Motel. Couldn't get shoes I wanted in my size from local store or on any Irish web site. Found the shoes on a UK web site but of course no shipping outside UK. And shipping within the UK was free. I used the parcel motel Antrim address and collected the parcel four days later from my nearest parcel motel. I got the introductory offer of first two shipments free, so no shipping cost and the shoes were a lot cheaper in the UK. Great service. Will definitely use again.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

When you make a collection, do you enter your mobile number and the code that they send your, or the PMid number with the code?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

When you make a collection, do you enter your mobile number and the code that they send your, or the PMid number with the code?

Mobile number and then 4 digit pin they text you with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

It's perfect if you are out of the house a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Same here - Got a text message at 7am , only 3 days after purchasing on amazon.co.uk and pick-up was easy in local depot .

Amazon said they could not deliver to my address in Republic , so I entered the parcel motel address in Northern Ireland and it worked .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭L.S.F

Can you pay cash at the pick up point or does it have to be by card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭chopsey

L.S.F wrote: »
    Can you pay cash at the pick up point or does it have to be by card?

you have to top up your account online, you can use card or Paypal there is no cash on collection or any facility to pay at the parcelmotel.

if you dont have the credit on your account they will text you to tell you that you need to put credit on your account to recieve a parcel that is waiting for you.

great service.

i got an oversized box last week, had to go to the depot to collect but it was still only €17 it would have cost me 50 ro 60 to get it posted from the UK

just used it this morning to get something on super saver delivery from Amazon that would not post to Ireland

not that i hide stuff from the wife but she does throw her eyes up at some of the gadgets and bargain alerts that turn up on the doorstep so this way they she need never know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭iHateManCity

Hi,
    I was wondering if it's normal for my PMID to be a 6 digit number now?
    it's just I heard before it was suppose to be 4 numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Hi,
    I was wondering if it's normal for my PMID to be a 6 digit number now?
    it's just I heard before it was suppose to be 4 numbers

Your PMID is 6 digit , and your pin for collection is 4 digit

• Advertisement

Your PMID is 6 digit , and your pin for collection is 4 digit
    thank you, that's helpful to know that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Anyone want to refer me as a friend? Im going to sign up soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Do they open the parcels/boxes ? Only asking because I use a US shipping agency and the boxes are always opened.

recipio wrote: »
    Do they open the parcels/boxes ? Only asking because I use a US shipping agency and the boxes are always opened.

They only open if needed to confirm identity if the PMID is not displayed correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Davy wrote: »
    They only open if needed to confirm identity if the PMID is displayed correctly

Thanks - you mean if the PMID is displayed incorrectly?

recipio wrote: »
    Thanks - you mean if the PMID is displayed incorrectly?

Ye, that's what I meant to say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭upinthesky

If you order something over 10kg do you need to pay 13.50? But it will be delivered to your door, i am right?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Glendalyn

Hi, i read somewhere if you link a card they will post junk mail to you and charge you for the stay? Anyone expirience this? Also that you can only top up by €10, if you dobt have a card linked. I have a package coming and I am nou sure what to do for payment. Can you link and unlink cards at will as you are expecting packages?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bizi

Hi guys, I am considering using parcelmotel, so send me a referral if it is worth doing so, for the Sky Roku box.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Glendalyn

Also they charge you a stay for your "free" item?

sorry if this has been asked already but, if an item needs to be signed for can you still use Parcel Motel?

• Advertisement

sorry if this has been asked already but, if an item needs to be signed for can you still use Parcel Motel?

You can use it yes, they sign for it. Been answered many times

Davy wrote: »
    You can use it yes, they sign for it. Been answered many times
    thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Heads Up!
    Just make sure the size of the printer fits into the locker.
    The website gives the dimensions of the locker.
    Make sure you are judging the dimensions of the box and not the printer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Glendalyn wrote: »
    Hi, i read somewhere if you link a card they will post junk mail to you and charge you for the stay? Anyone expirience this? Also that you can only top up by €10, if you dobt have a card linked. I have a package coming and I am nou sure what to do for payment. Can you link and unlink cards at will as you are expecting packages?

Not in my experience. I have a card linked, which is handy, as I don't like the top-up option (reason I had a bill phone as soon as possible). Never had any abuse and I only get the stuff I order. Only problem I had was when I lost my wallet and cancelled card, they emailed me to say they could not deliver parcel because I had insufficient credit. Rang them, added new card and was delivered to PM a few hours later. Super service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Signing up for this now. Had heard of it before, but never really looked into it until this evening, but looks like a great service! Is there generally any problem adding a delivery address that's different from the billing address for first time purchases, or does it depend largely on the retailer's own policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭robbok

Be very careful using parcel motel if the selling website is likely to split the order and deliver separately , Amazon routinely do this for example , it could end up costing you a LOT more than you thought , if buying multiple items in a single order I would not use Parcel Motel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

Signed up for PM a couple of weeks ago. Got text and e-mail this morning to say a welcome package has been delivered to my local PM. But this is half an hour away and not that convenient for me to collect. I'm travelling in a couple of days and possibly won't be back for months, so what happens if I don't pick up the package? Will I be charged 3.50/day to store it after the initial 48 hours is up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

You can email them at customerservice@parcelmotel.com and tell them you don't want it, and apparently they'll remove it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭leck

You can email them at customerservice@parcelmotel.com and tell them you don't want it, and apparently they'll remove it for you.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I e-mailed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

didnt see this explained and am not sure.
    so say i order something from the uk and have it shipped to a parcel motel in the north.
    how does it get to me in dublin, do i go and get it or is it forwarded on to me?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement