Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shrimping/prawn salmon

Options
  • 21-06-2013 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Just wanting to know why is it fishermen say its difficult to fish using this method for the newbie fisherman.

What i know of is that you set up your line with shrimp float with stop bead, not to far down from that you have your weights then a ft or ft and half below that, you have your hook with either your shrimp or prawn.

Next you cast out and watch for the slightest movement in your float then you strike up. Now someone tell me, whats difficult about this!

Note, this is coming from a fisherman who has never caught a salmon using this method :o:o

I know this method isnt popular with most fishermen because its either to good to catch salmon or the salmon have a tendency to take it more into their mouth/gut and then you cant return it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

tootsy70 wrote: »
    Just wanting to know why is it fishermen say its difficult to fish using this method for the newbie fisherman.

What i know of is that you set up your line with shrimp float with stop bead, not to far down from that you have your weights then a ft or ft and half below that, you have your hook with either your shrimp or prawn.

Next you cast out and watch for the slightest movement in your float then you strike up. Now someone tell me, whats difficult about this!

Note, this is coming from a fisherman who has never caught a salmon using this method :o:o

I know this method isnt popular with most fishermen because its either to good to catch salmon or the salmon have a tendency to take it more into their mouth/gut and then you cant return it.

In my experience its not a difficult method at all. Its a highly successful method of taking fresh fish - the fish straight in off the tide seem to take the shrimp more readily. I've seen hundreds of fish taken on shrimp, and about 1% were deep-hooked, the vast majority were hooked in the mouth. I've seen fish on an underwater camera taking the shrimp, and you would be amazed how delicate they can be - mouthing the bait, sucking it in and back out again, all without the angler feeling a thing.

Perhaps this is why people call it a difficult method - bite detection and striking properly is not always easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

Zzippy wrote: »
    In my experience its not a difficult method at all. Its a highly successful method of taking fresh fish - the fish straight in off the tide seem to take the shrimp more readily. I've seen hundreds of fish taken on shrimp, and about 1% were deep-hooked, the vast majority were hooked in the mouth. I've seen fish on an underwater camera taking the shrimp, and you would be amazed how delicate they can be - mouthing the bait, sucking it in and back out again, all without the angler feeling a thing.

Perhaps this is why people call it a difficult method - bite detection and striking properly is not always easy...

Would agree with Zzippy. In all my years fishing, i have yet to see a salmon deep hooked with a prawn/shrimp but i do understand when you say a difficult method because the salmon do spit it out very quick. Ive had very big tugs and still lost it.

A wee tip for you thou and i dont even think this is aloud but i use a purple prawn with a little pink shrimp out of tescos just at the hook and it can be deadly.

Zzippy, id love to see that video you mention. Would it be on youtube ?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

with shrimp, as soon as a salmon takes the shrimp in to its mouth he will let it go. thats why you have to be fast. perhaps the difficult part for a novice would be concentration, or keeping a tight line between the float and the tip of the rod. only yesterday i saw some lads using shrimp. the amount of line they had on the water was unreal. there must of been 10/15` of line floating down ahead of the float. if a salmon took, i don't know how they were going to strike in to the fish. i doubt the float would even move if they lifted the rod up.
    as regard salmon swallowing the shrimp into their gut, Ive never seen that.
    i think because salmon only ever suck or mouth the shrimp before letting it go, would be the reason why so many are usually hooked on the upper part of the mouth.
    I'm not sure about prawns as Ive never used them, but as far as i know the reason prawn is disliked in some fisheries is because, how they can drive salmon out of pools and make it unfishable on both sides of where the prawn is been fished, but please don't quote me on that.icon7.png
    i don't think this happens with shrimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

dvae wrote: »
    with shrimp, as soon as a salmon takes the shrimp in to its mouth he will let it go. thats why you have to be fast. perhaps the difficult part for a novice would be concentration, or keeping a tight line between the float and the tip of the rod. only yesterday i saw some lads using shrimp. the amount of line they had on the water was unreal. there must of been 10/15` of line floating down ahead of the float. if a salmon took, i don't know how they were going to strike in to the fish. i doubt the float would even move if they lifted the rod up.
    as regard salmon swallowing the shrimp into their gut, Ive never seen that.
    i think because salmon only ever suck or mouth the shrimp before letting it go, would be the reason why so many are usually hooked on the upper part of the mouth.
    I'm not sure about prawns as Ive never used them, but as far as i know the reason prawn is disliked in some fisheries is because, how they can drive salmon out of pools and make it unfishable on both sides of where the prawn is been fished, but please don't quote me on that.icon7.png
    i don't think this happens with shrimp.

Have seen some of the younger fishermen fish with line like this and they always wonder why they never catch. They dont realise that youve a split sec to strike and if they et a tug, all they'll be doing is striking the line. I just leave them to it because dont want them taking my fish and also the fact, these young ones today know everything so theres no point in helping them :pac::D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

yoloc wrote: »
    Would agree with Zzippy. In all my years fishing, i have yet to see a salmon deep hooked with a prawn/shrimp but i do understand when you say a difficult method because the salmon do spit it out very quick. Ive had very big tugs and still lost it.

A wee tip for you thou and i dont even think this is aloud but i use a purple prawn with a little pink shrimp out of tescos just at the hook and it can be deadly.

Zzippy, id love to see that video you mention. Would it be on youtube ?

Its not a video, its a live camera feed set up at the Galway Fishery - not online because of bandwidth problems. Just this afternoon I saw a fish take the prawn literally a foot away from the camera lens (this time it was hooked).

Just on the deep hooking, while most fish are hooked in the mouth, some fish are very deep hooked, it does happen, although to a much lesser extent than with worm fishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

i do alot of shrimping and i have got alot of fish useing it most of the fishing i do is with shrimp/prawn have the least amount of slack u can between the rod tip and your float and if u get a pull strike straight away somtimes thay will only mouth it and only take the head of it and keep your shrimp prawn as close to the bottom as u can and out of all the salmon i got on the shrimp i never had one deep hooked. it is deadly if u can see a salmon run it down to him and hold it on front of his nose and 90% of the time thay will take it if thay are fresh u will get alot of red fish with it to though

Advertisement