Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Summer Sale 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Can never understand why people would use a ps controller on pc over an xbox one. The xbox controller is much nicer to hold, has some weight, and has triggers at the back that are great for racing games and games like GTA.

The bother picked one up for 5 - 10 euro on ebay so cheap too.

Have only the one controller for the PS3 so said I'd get one that I could use for both the PC and the PS3. Don't own an Xbox.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

No, a wired xbox controller works out of the box. You can pick them wired receivers up cheap on ebay if you want wireless. Got one myself.

I thought there were very few wired controllers around since the introduction of the elite bundle.

I dont' have any. And mine don't work with the charging cable attached either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Doesn't the PS3 controller work out of the box? The Xbox needs either the wireless dongle or a pc-specific controller.

No, PS3 controllers need 3rd party drivers and are not made to work with any games. Wired Xbox controllers work out of the box and every game that is a "Game for Windows" is designed to work with the 360 controller.

On Steam any game that says partial controller support has a settings list to assign buttons so will work with any controller, the games that are full controller support are set up to work with the 360 controller out of the box but you may be able to configure others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

And mine don't work with the charging cable attached either.

A charging cable is just that and can't carry communications, you need a USB controller of the wireless adaptor for your computer, the controllers use a type of wireless that most ordinary computers can't connect to. PS3 controllers can connect with Bluetooth so there not that bad to get connected but the are a nightmare to set up on some games and just wont work on others where the xbox one would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I have a PS3 and no 360, but got the wired 360 controller simply for handiness sake. The games are designed for it with button prompts in the likes of Assassin's Creed being colour coordinated to the controller. With the PS3 controller you have to keep thinking (at least at the beginning) which button you've got mapped where. Really confusing when it comes up with 'X'. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

I thought there were very few wired controllers around since the introduction of the elite bundle.

I dont' have any. And mine don't work with the charging cable attached either.

I was in pc world last week and they had a few wired xbox controllers for 30 euro I think. But like I said earlier, my bro got one on ebay for around 10 euro, maybe less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Can never understand why people would use a ps controller on pc over an xbox one. The xbox controller is much nicer to hold, has some weight, and has triggers at the back that are great for racing games and games like GTA.

The bother picked one up for 5 - 10 euro on ebay so cheap too.

I guess it comes down to personal preference. I have both but I find the PS controller more comfortable.

Bugs me buying a new one. I had a look there for the wireless receiver but they seem hard to come by other than eBay - which I have trust issues with after being burned by an empty box.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Bugs me buying a new one. I had a look there for the wireless receiver but they seem hard to come by other than eBay - which I have trust issues with after being burned by an empty box.

Link 1 or Link 2

Much obliged.

I've been waiting for something for about 8 quid to buy on Amazon and all to get free delivery on something for 17 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Anyone manage to get them working with windows 8? Drivers haven't been updated on windows. Think I need to get that wireless receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

39853612.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,312 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

At a wedding for the day, will freak if there's no 3G :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Bollox anyway!

I messed up the agegate on Payday in my sleep deprived state and now I can't view it. :pac: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Mickeroo wrote: »
    At a wedding for the say, will freak if there's no 3G :pac:

Who schedules a wedding during a steam sale, dam console gamers :P:P:D:D:P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Chalk up another purchase for me. Payday.

So much for my supposed "I'm not buying ANYTHING!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

CoH for 2e yea please.

Those trading cards are easy money!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Does anyone know of any good air combat games on Steam? I have Ace Combat Assault Horizon but my laptop won't run it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Does anyone know of any good air combat games on Steam? I have Ace Combat Assault Horizon but my laptop won't run it.

ArmA 2 does all the things.

Use the editor to set up a You VS AI game. It'll take about 10 mins to set up once you know what you're about and from there the sheer number and size of the maps makes the game infinitely repayable.

Anyone know any decent 3rd person shooters that are discounted? I'm thinking of stuff along the lines of the Hidden and Dangerous series...

Or any 3rd person game really. :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Saw that on sale the other day. For some reason I didn't get it. Might pick it up then so. Thanks!

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Jernal wrote: »
    Should we get Payday? :o

If you are planning on playing it with friends, then yes. With bots its a little lackluster.

Saw that on sale the other day. For some reason I didn't get it. Might pick it up then so. Thanks!

If you need any help, feel free to ask. The Tactical Shooter forum would be good too.

ArmA 3 is due for release in the 3rd quarter of this year. It's in open Beta now but has a lot less stuff in it than ArmA 2.

Get Combined Operations if you can.

Euro Truck Simulator 2... Is it much of an improvement over the original?

I only ask because 1 is going for €2 and 2 is €7.50 and I'm incredibly cheap. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Polar101

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I have a PS3 and no 360, but got the wired 360 controller simply for handiness sake. The games are designed for it with button prompts in the likes of Assassin's Creed being colour coordinated to the controller. With the PS3 controller you have to keep thinking (at least at the beginning) which button you've got mapped where. Really confusing when it comes up with 'X'. :)

Same here, I have a PS3 but trying to use the controller on the PC was confusing, so I just got the wired X360 for PC controller and it has been fine - even if the cable is a bit annoying.

---

I'm confused with the Dawn of War (1) versions - I have a CD version that has the original, Winter Assault and Dark Crusade - but wouldn't mind getting the Steam versions. Does the GOTY version include all three?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

A-10C, best combat flight sim on the market. Part of the DCS universe. AC:AH is pure muck imo and an insult to the AC series. Joystick is a must for A-10C especially a HOTAS settup. If your laptop won't run AC:AH then A-10C won't run either, it looks a million time better and more detail.

Cheers. Using a laptop at the mo which isn't ideal but I think Arma 2 should be ok. There's always DayZ as well.

A-10C, best combat flight sim on the market. Part of the DCS universe. AC:AH is pure muck imo and an insult to the AC series. Joystick is a must for A-10C especially a HOTAS settup. If your laptop won't run AC:AH then A-10C won't run either, it looks a million time better and more detail.

They do look amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Holy Feck, still not bought anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Holy Feck, still not bought anything

can i have some of your willpower?

Advertisement