Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Summer Sale 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

quick question, if I buy 2 copies of a game, what's the story with the 2nd copy?
    will I get a seperate steam key, or do I have to pick an account/email address for gifting it straight away?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm rather impressed by what I've seen of Starforge, so am just starting it now. Sci-Fi Minecraft? Don't mind if I do :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

quick question, if I buy 2 copies of a game, what's the story with the 2nd copy?
    will I get a seperate steam key, or do I have to pick an account/email address for gifting it straight away?

You can store everything you buy in your inventory before deciding what you want to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

You can buy any copy as a gift and store it in your inventory for gifting at a later date (or activating it yourself if it's a game you don't own).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

You'll probably have to go through 2 seperate purchases, the first being for you and the second you choose as a gift (sent now, or kept in your inventory for the future)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Mister Man wrote: »
    Prison Arch. only 34%? It's the only game I wanted in this sale, but I'll pass. Not worth that much to me. Looks fun and all, but not for that price.

Just curious, what price did you expect?

I was expecting 40% off so I guess I wasn't too far off.

15 minutes into Prision Architect and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. It's obvious it's a game in alpha. Biggest thing missing is music. So bloody quiet :P

Lads, please stop talking up the games I've decided aren't worth buying yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Why are these alpha/beta games so pricey? With minecraft it was cheaper because you were starting off when there wasnt many features but now it seems that you aim as high as possible so the people that thought your game had potential at the start end up paying more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Has anyone played train sim 2013 and if so is it worth getting? I've played a fair bit of euro truck sim 2 over the past few months and have enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Just a heads up to any one thinking about StarForge, they changed the agreement, in a nutshell, says that you cannot expect anything more than the state the game is already in. Lot of people pissed off about this, as it essentially means that they can decide not to finish the game and you have no legal right to get a refund. Along with that, threads are being closed down fairly quickly over on the steam forum for anyone who starts bashing the game or stating that its a possibility that the game will not be finished or deliver what was promised.
    From my reading around about it, its definitely one to be avoided till it all gets sorted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Tinie wrote: »
    Has anyone played train sim 2013 and if so is it worth getting? I've played a fair bit of euro truck sim 2 over the past few months and have enjoyed it.

I got it when it was full price as I love train sims, have almost all the DLC for it too. Can't go wrong for €9 really. Not as funny as the stuff you end up making a mess of in Truck Sim. TS2013 is a more serious game.

Meatwad wrote: »
    Just a heads up to any one thinking about StarForge, they changed the agreement, in a nutshell, says that you cannot expect anything more than the state the game is already in. Lot of people pissed off about this, as it essentially means that they can decide not to finish the game and you have no legal right to get a refund. Along with that, threads are being closed down fairly quickly over on the steam forum for anyone who starts bashing the game or stating that its a possibility that the game will not be finished or deliver what was promised.
    From my reading around about it, its definitely one to be avoided till it all gets sorted out.

Thanks, was looking around for info on it. Amazing potential, but ultimately it's only a 3 man team working on it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Why are these alpha/beta games so pricey? With minecraft it was cheaper because you were starting off when there wasnt many features but now it seems that you aim as high as possible so the people that thought your game had potential at the start end up paying more.

Because usually as far as I can see, these are games by very small development teams who need an immediate influx of cash to develop them (read: put food on the table of the programmers). I mean minecraft was cheap but then, the production values were ****e. The graphics were something you'd expect from a decade ago etc. This was fine, it wasn't a game that needed good graphics, bells and whistles, a fancy UI etc. But this also meant it could be produced very cheaply compared to some of the space sim games we're seeing which are far more ambitious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

nesf wrote: »
    Because usually as far as I can see, these are games by very small development teams who need an immediate influx of cash to develop them (read: put food on the table of the programmers). I mean minecraft was cheap but then, the production values were ****e. The graphics were something you'd expect from a decade ago etc. This was fine, it wasn't a game that needed good graphics, bells and whistles, a fancy UI etc. But this also meant it could be produced very cheaply compared to some of the space sim games we're seeing which are far more ambitious.

What you say is true but I dont see what the incentive is to buy a game based on promises. Although I suppose with the popularity of kickstarter there must be enough people willing to take that bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Chivalry is unbelievably hilarious to play. I couldn't possibly recommend it highly enough - I can't stop laughing as I'm playing, it's one of the most brilliantly mindless fun things I've played in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

What you say is true but I dont see what the incentive is to buy a game based on promises. Although I suppose with the popularity of kickstarter there must be enough people willing to take that bet.

Yeah, I broadly agree. It comes down to a few factors for me:

1) How raw of an Alpha is it, e.g. Starforge is far more barebones than Prison Architect.

2) Has the developer a decent track record for getting full games out (or is it a new development house with a lot of old hands in it), Prison Architect has this, Starforge doesn't.

3) Do I really want to play a game in this genre. This is why I got Prison Architect, there isn't and hasn't really been a game like it for quite a while. I don't have any options really. Whereas some of the recent RTS Early Access Games, well, I have a lot of RTSs I can play so I don't feel the same kind of need to support them.

But, yes, essentially it's a bet and a show of support. I don't think anyone should buy one of these games on the assumption that they'll get a finished product eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭altairscreed

Not sure if this was already posted but Monaco is €5.70 from the dev site atm http://www.monacoismine.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Will there be a a final round of sales at 6pm Sunday evening, or is this it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Agricola wrote: »
    Will there be a a final round of sales at 6pm Sunday evening, or is this it?

encore sales tomorrow and thats it there will be no new sales beyond flash/Voting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Bought Civ 5 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Chivalry is unbelievably hilarious to play. I couldn't possibly recommend it highly enough - I can't stop laughing as I'm playing, it's one of the most brilliantly mindless fun things I've played in ages.

Damn you to hell! Just purchased yet another game from the bloody sale..

Kerbal Space Program
    Killing Floor
    Mark of the ninja
    Skyrim
    F1: 2012
    The secret world
    Bastion
    CS GO
    Dark Souls
    Deadlight
    Deus Ex
    Just Cause 2
    Rage
    Serious sam 3
    Strike suit infinity
    Ace combat

You gotta love UPC. Getting 12.2MB/sec on chivalry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Damn you to hell! Just purchased yet another game from the bloody sale..

You gotta love UPC. Getting 12.2MB/sec on chivalry

<3 UPC :D

I pay for 100MB but for some reason I get 150MB :rolleyes:

Get 19Mb download on some games :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

NTMK wrote: »
    encore sales tomorrow and thats it there will be no new sales beyond flash/Voting

****. I knew it was too much to hope that we'd get one more CC at 2am on Tuesday. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

After only recently getting a decent system which actually allowed me to play games, I used the Steam sale to build up a small collection of PC games.

Warhammer 40k Dawn of War II, Retribution & Chaos Rising
    Terraria
    Organ Trail
    Bully
    Bastion
    GTA: San Andreas
    FTL
    Hotline Miami
    Gunpoint
    Half-Life 2
    Monaco

I'm pretty happy so far considering I've only spent between €20-€30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Shuuddup SHuuuudupppp Shudddup.!

My first creation in Prison Architect! :D
    9gjw.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    My first creation in Prison Architect! :D
    9gjw.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Is it possible to create an absolute hellhole of a prison? Or does it have to all nicey-nicey-caring for the prisoners? :P

For those contemplating Chivalry MW... would it be more appetising if we get it as a four-pack?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

For those contemplating Chivalry MW... would it be more appetising if we get it as a four-pack?

I ahve to agree. Just went through the training and the voice acting is hilariouslly OTT.

Advertisement