Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Summer Sale 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Feels like christmas

Oddly I just saw an ad that played "It's the most wonderful time of the year"

I apparently have Killing Floor and Left4Dead 2 for free. No idea why, but it seems like Steam knows me a little too well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I apparently have Killing Floor and Left4Dead 2 for free. No idea why, but it seems like Steam knows me a little too well.

Its a free weekend for a good few games. everyone gets them for free for a few days.

Tinie wrote: »
    Its a free weekend for a good few games. everyone gets them for free for a few days.

Awh man, so does that mean they'll be gone again afterwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

The first hit is always free.

• Advertisement

Tempted to uninstall Killing Floor now. Don't want to get into a game, only to have it taken away a few days later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

Tempted to uninstall Killing Floor now. Don't want to get into a game, only to have it taken away a few days later.

I can guarantee that it will be 3 euro in the sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deano546

Digy123 wrote: »
    I can guarantee that it will be 3 euro in the sales.

Its even 3.59 right now :pac: http://store.steampowered.com/app/1250/?snr=1_7_15__13
    Also, its having a free week, rather than the usual free weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Any advice for a Steam sale virgin on what to keep an eye out for next week? I'm a recent mac owner too, so I presume a lot of the games won't be available for this. The only game I already own is Portal, which I'm playing (and enjoying) at the moment.
    Not a big fan of FPS, but would be open to try any genre really. I don't get huge amount of time to sit down and game (stoopid work and family commitments), so something you can dip in and out of would be good.
    Any advice appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

little off topic, but anyone know how to safely transfer Steam files/games from C drive to D drive, made the mistake of downloading games onto C drive and that bad boy fills up FAST.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

little off topic, but anyone know how to safely transfer Steam files/games from C drive to D drive, made the mistake of downloading games onto C drive and that bad boy fills up FAST.

Not sure about moving an already downloaded game but you can setup library folders under settings -> Downloads so that new downloads will go to D:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Any advice for a Steam sale virgin on what to keep an eye out for next week? I'm a recent mac owner too, so I presume a lot of the games won't be available for this. The only game I already own is Portal, which I'm playing (and enjoying) at the moment.
    Not a big fan of FPS, but would be open to try any genre really. I don't get huge amount of time to sit down and game (stoopid work and family commitments), so something you can dip in and out of would be good.
    Any advice appreciated.

A lot of games will run on mac.
    http://store.steampowered.com/browse/mac/

Most of the Valve games run on Mac now, as far as I know. It might be worth your while picking up the Valve complete pack if you don't have many of them. L4D2 has a free weekend, so you could try it out.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/550/
    Or killing floor as they have a free week and you decide you like zombies. http://store.steampowered.com/app/1250

Okay, well they're FPS, so maybe not what you want... Maybe some puzzle or platform games? Here's a few good ones. Wait for discounts to show up in the sales.
    They sell a lot of mac games on gog too. Only 2 hours left in their sale. A lot of good games on there. Some are old so mightn't be yours style. All are DRM free.
    http://www.gog.com
    Some good point/click type ones here. Machinarium, Botanicula (this one is kind of weird but gets good), the Telltale Back to the Future game is good if you're a fan of the films (hmm... looks like it's not on mac on gog but is on steam). These games are on steam as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Do you want to move everything or just some parts?

Method 1:
    If you want to move just some parts, install a game which can be installed to another drive. Most newer ones support this and the valve ones do anyway. Just when you're clicking install, it should give you an option where to install it and pick another drive. If it doesn't give you the option, cancel the download and pick another game.
    Edit: Just do this instead and add another directory.
    matrim wrote: »
    you can setup library folders under settings -> Downloads so that new downloads will go to D:

When you have one game installed to the other drive, you can move a few of the ones to the other drive. Exit out of steam.
    Now, say if you want to move Left4Dead2 over to the E drive from the C drive.
    You'll move the folder C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\left 4 dead 2
    to E:\Steam Games\common

The steamapps folder is where all your games are installed. Most are under common. So you'll be moving games from the "common" folder on the C drive to the one on the E drive where you installed your other game.

Start up steam. If the game that you moved showed up, everything is fine. If it's not there, then the game doesn't support moving to another directory and you'll have to move it back.

Method 2:
    Shut down steam.
    Move your entire steam folder to another drive.
    Run Steam. It should fix itself.

Method 3:
    Steam mover program. This will generate shortcuts to fool steam into thinking that the games are under the same directory but they can be stored somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aaronsharkey

Could there be a discount on company of heroes 2 and red orchestra rising storm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

CoH2 is pretty new so it's doubtful, if there's a discount it probably won't be more than the pre-order discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Rising Storm is half price (€8.99) for the next 4 hours or so on GMG (registers on Steam). Think there's a 10% code floating about on the site too, for use with the current offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I think my bank is secretly working with Steam... I just got my bank sending me a Debit Visa card to replace my laser card. I am scared. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I used to give d'mother and some friends grief over the Next sale. Never understood the point of spending all your money at one point in the year and loads of stuff you're never going to use/wear.

Then I had my first Steam sale....

Hard drive space is cheaper than wardrobe space though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,853 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Any advice for a Steam sale virgin on what to keep an eye out for next week?
    Don't buy games that aren't in the daily sales. Wait until the last day before buying them.

There will also be publisher packs that have 20+ games in them at a huge reduction , great value considering you won't own any of them already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Dodgey Russian accents are dodgey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Can you imagine if they actually got carried away, and gave him a flesh wound!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aaronsharkey

Is 120 quid enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Is 120 quid enough

Depends on how many steam sales you survived so far. for a "fresh meat" its not, for veteran, just about do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Mantel wrote: »
    CoH2 is pretty new so it's doubtful, if there's a discount it probably won't be more than the pre-order discount.

Just fyi www.g2play.net has coh2 for 29 euro if you want to grab it

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Hypnos

Currently own 218 games. I'm reluctant to buy more though I know I'll cave to a couple.

Is 120 quid enough

If its your first sale, you will impulse a lot of stuff, and will probably get through that in a few days. Ive limited myself to €40 this year, but I have a big backlog of games dating back a few years now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

picked up Garrys Mod just there for €2.49. Only problem is in the spec on the page it says its take up 700mb HD space but when I went to download it, it turns out to be a 3.2GB download and I have a limit of 15GB bandwidth a month......well ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

shaneb92 wrote: »
    picked up Garrys Mod just there for €2.49. Only problem is in the spec on the page it says its take up 700mb HD space but when I went to download it, it turns out to be a 3.2GB download and I have a limit of 15GB bandwidth a month......well ****

It shares assets with source games, so if you have HL2/CS/TF2/Portal installed, I reckon the download for Garry's Mod would be significantly lower than 3.2gb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

shaneb92 wrote: »

Also,For Gmod to run properly it is important that you download Half Life 2 Episode 2 and Counter Strike Source.
    This is because alot of modders in the Garrys Mod community take textures and models from those games.

Advertisement