Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Summer Sale 2013

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

grizzly wrote: »
    A good idea is to make a list of everything you want. If it's not on the list - don't buy. Might save you buying loads of stuff you'll never play.
    Also if you have them on your wishlist, Steam sends you a notification. Nothing worse than missing a sale you were waiting for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

wyrn wrote: »
    Also if you have them on your wishlist, Steam sends you a notification. Nothing worse than missing a sale you were waiting for.

I've seen games from my wishlist on sale and didn't get the email notification until the sale was nearly over. That would've been for a daily or weekend deal so don't think be too reliable for flash deals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

A good idea is to make a list of everything you want. If it's not on the list - don't buy. Might save you buying loads of stuff you'll never play.
    Spoil sport; half the fun is buying the stuff you did not know existed but that you always needed but had not realized up until then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

A better idea is to install the mobile App and go drinking then he next morning see what surprises you purchased in a drunken haze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,490 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

A better idea is to install the mobile App and go drinking then he next morning see what surprises you purchased in a drunken haze.

oh been there done that :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. Actually bought several t-shirts that I'll never get around to wearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. Actually bought several t-shirts that I'll never get around to wearing.

When saying "if i buy 4 copies of Batman ill save loads" makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

I hope a "certain" member of boards won't be leeching for games like the Christmas sale thread :pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think the Skyrim DLC would be great, I've not been playing Skyrim lately (I actually uninstalled it for space saving reasons) and whilst I don't think that €20 for many hours of additional game play is pulling the piss, I couldn't justify the spend for a game I'm not really playing anymore :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

So guys how much should one set aside for one of these im looking at getting

Crysis 1+2 ,Sam and Max S1+2 ,Skyrim , Far Cry 1-3 and Some of the earlier Assasins Creeds :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

what you're looking at getting is never the problem, it's everything else you end up getting that causes the issues

ussjtrunks wrote: »

Crysis 1+2 ,Sam and Max S1+2 ,Skyrim , Far Cry 1-3 and Some of the earlier Assasins Creeds :(

why didn't you pick them up in the recent Amazon sale for crazy cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

My wallet is not ready

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

ussjtrunks wrote: »

AC 1 + 2 were on sale recently on greenmangaming for around 2 euro for ac1 and 3.50 for ac2 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If there's a way to skip all the bits that don't have Haytham, I might pick up AssCreed 3 if I see it going cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

--edit
    nm this
    apparently wiping water off your keyboard while boards is open leads to silly posts

were you doing some torture, waterboarding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

My Steam advice; buy all games as gifts. Only activate them when you go to play them. Otherwise let them sit in your inventory for possible trading later when you realise the magnitude of your backlog (matron).

I realise the Steam sale isn't (nor should it be) about common sense, but I'd hate to see some of you end up on the streets because of it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Can anyone tell me how big of a download Ass Creed 3 is? See it there for €15 from g2play, might get it if its not something ridiculous like 20+ gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Agricola wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how big of a download Ass Creed 3 is? See it there for €15 from g2play, might get it if its not something ridiculous like 20+ gig.

I checked it on my PC, and including the Tyranny of Washington DLC, the entire folder comes to 21.5gb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Agricola wrote: »
    When I downloaded it off Uplay it was 13.8gb as far as I remember not sure how much extra the dlc would be though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Falthyron wrote: »
    I checked it on my PC, and including the Tyranny of Washington DLC, the entire folder comes to 21.5gb

Cheers. Think I may get a disk, just too slow on my connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

My Steam advice; buy all games as gifts. Only activate them when you go to play them. Otherwise let them sit in your inventory for possible trading later when you realise the magnitude of your backlog (matron).

I realise the Steam sale isn't (nor should it be) about common sense, but I'd hate to see some of you end up on the streets because of it. :pac:

That's good advice.

Also to the newbies: The standard format is that nearly everything on the site is discounted during the approximately 2 week period.
    On top of that are daily deals or flash deals. These are more heavily discounted.

*Don't buy anything except daily and flash deals, until the the last day.*
    On the last day, if there's any games that you still want and that didn't show up or were missed, only then buy them.

Also, stuff can come up twice or more often in the flash sales, so if you miss it, still don't buy until the last day.

Sometimes the last day also has re-hashes of previous stuff.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My only advice:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS48tUtaKpDAQE94wRG_i_b4kIHCrrdXlzBgeV-6SuYGz2StK2L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Yeah, that is some good advice from Monotype.

Three days now... hopefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I'm not so worried really, I've actually gotten to the point where there are very few games left that I actually want and don't already own :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Anyone else notice Company Of Heroes 2 is €79.99 on steam? Is this going to be the price of new games now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Ok ok maybe Ill buy Metro Last Light and Far Cry 3 if they go cheap BUT NO MORE

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

MadYaker wrote: »
    Ok ok maybe Ill buy Metro Last Light and Far Cry 3 if they go cheap BUT NO MORE

Don't forget Blood Dragon :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Anyone else notice Company Of Heroes 2 is €79.99 on steam? Is this going to be the price of new games now?

I've noticed quite a few €50+ games recently. I was a taken aback by the €82 planetary annihilation, but apparently that's higher so that the people who contributed towards the kickstarter don't feel ripped off.

Anyhow, steam is a rip-off outside of their sales. It's nothing new. You can buy COH 2 for €35 as a hard copy, which is a standard price.
    Anyone who is stupid enough to pay €80 for it is welcome in my eyes as they're just funding sales.

I'd imagine that it's a combination of Valve and the publishers skimming what they can as well as publishers possibly attempting to divert sales to other outlets.

Advertisement