Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Summer Sale 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm heading to the UK for the weekend. I'm still gonna be okay to buy things through the app, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭altairscreed

Vojera wrote: »
    I'm heading to the UK for the weekend. I'm still gonna be okay to buy things through the app, right?

But of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lisamuiri

Yes once you have internet access you will be able to buy steam games off of the steam app. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Shweet. I had a small panic for a minute there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Vojera wrote: »
    Shweet. I had a small panic for a minute there!

Lucky ba$tard! :P UK prices (when converted) work out cheaper than euro... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

He/she will still have to pay Euro prices if paying by CC though? Assuming their card is registered in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

Falthyron wrote: »
    Lucky ba$tard! :P UK prices (when converted) work out cheaper than euro... :D

Couldn't we just use a VPN then? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

Technically.

He/she will still have to pay Euro prices if paying by CC though? Assuming their card is registered in Ireland.

I was living in the U.K last year, but I was still using my Ulster Bank card which is Irish. However, I did change my address on the Card Details stored with STEAM to my U.K address. It would seem as long as you are going through a U.K IP and have any U.K address attached the card in your Steam account, it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

lisamuiri wrote: »
    Yes once you have internet access you will be able to buy steam games off of the steam app. :)

I presume you mean phone app? If you do ye its dead handy especially with things like flash sales. In work today but was able to buy Civilisation V on the phone and can download it later:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Digy123 wrote: »

Would you not have to use the vpn to access the games after youve bought them though? For games that have online anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Tinie wrote: »

There is a link in that reddit post to this site.

http://www.cheapshark.com/

Its brill. Moved it right to the top of my favorites list. I especially like the deal rating they give

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

They check the address on the bank card and usually don't like it when you try to get around price differences in other countries.

I wasn't able to buy in Sterling last time I was away so I submitted a ticket and they told me
    You will need to use the following link through a web browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc.) to complete your transaction.

http://store.steampowered.com/?cc=ie

Please bookmark this link for continued purchasing while you are traveling out of your native country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

I wonder if, travelling in the UK, you could top up your Steam wallet with UK£ (I think GAME sell the wallet codes over there rather than Gamestop) and buy completely legitimately from the Steam UK store then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

Worth a try,Im heading over in 3 days. Ill try it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Finally got around to getting Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale, must say its strangely addictive

Mantel wrote: »
    They check the address on the bank card and usually don't like it when you try to get around price differences in other countries.

I wasn't able to buy in Sterling last time I was away so I submitted a ticket and they told me
    Worth a try,Im heading over in 3 days. Ill try it out

This is very strange as I did not experience this at all.

This is what I was doing:

1 - Living in the U.K
    2 - Ulster Bank Visa Debit registered to an Irish address.
    3 - Logged in on Steam at my U.K address, seeing £ prices, etc.
    4 - Went to buy something with my card and it said my address does not match my location.
    5 - So I updated my Payment Details on my Steam Account to my U.K address on the Ulster Bank Visa Debit.
    6 - Ulster Bank card STILL registered to an Irish address with Ulster Bank.
    7 - Worked perfectly.

I was paying in pounds which Ulster Bank was later converting into euro. Never had any hassle or questions or stops. I bought plenty because the pound prices were much more favourable. I was even gifting games back to my brother in Ireland.

Steam have never questioned it or stopped me. When you are in the U.K, just change the address for your card on Steam to the U.K address you currently staying at. Seriously, it should work just like it worked for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Simi

Only gifted (and have been gifted) Duke Nukem Megaton Edition so far. Nothing else has really piqued my interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

I wonder if, travelling in the UK, you could top up your Steam wallet with UK£ (I think GAME sell the wallet codes over there rather than Gamestop) and buy completely legitimately from the Steam UK store then?

It'll more than likely be converted in to the currency you use on the account, just like they're doing for the steam market place atm and when you go to buy via the UK store you'll get hit with the region restriction again as you have a euro steam account. Would like to see the results of test though :)

If you really want to get around the restrictions then you could create a second UK account, top it up with sterling and just buy games as gifts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'm terrible for impulse buys. :(

FM13 for €9... Valve you bastards...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Antichamber is brilliant, but bloody tough. Not a clue what i'm doing some times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

I see Dishonoured at 17.99 and Tropico 4 at 10-odd. Are they likely to come down in price?

I see Dishonoured at 17.99 and Tropico 4 at 10-odd. Are they likely to come down in price?

I would put €10 on Dishonored being discounted further in the coming days. It will be cheaper. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I think Steam is taunting me...
    I just got a feckin Kerbal Space Program trading card. I thought I had somehow managed to win the game until I saw that it was a trading card :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Falthyron wrote: »
    I would put €10 on Dishonored being discounted further in the coming days. It will be cheaper. :)

So what you're saying is....that you'll give me €10 if it doesn't and it'll only cost me €7.99 anyway. Cheers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

If anyone is looking for a good rpg, The Last Remnant is only 3.39 Euro

So what you're saying is....that you'll give me €10 if it doesn't and it'll only cost me €7.99 anyway. Cheers! :D

Haha! :D I will choose my words more carefully next time! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I guess if the price does go down, you owe him a tenner, then :pac:

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I guess if the price does go down, you owe him a tenner, then :pac:

I like the sound of that! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Digy123 wrote: »

It's something to be very cautious about. It's one of the few things listed that can get your account banned. They really don't like it if you're spoofing your IP address to get around geographical pricing (mainly because it's the publishers not Steam who demand it).

Advertisement