Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Summer Sale 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Is it worth getting Dark Souls on the PC without a Console controller? Played about half way through on the PS3 but other commitments got in the way and never finished it. Really love to get back into it but not if it is crap with the mouse and keyboard.

For Dark Souls a controller is 100% necessary.

I would play with mouse and keyboard if it were at all a reasonably possibility.

It isn't. You need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

Picked up Football Manager 2013. Never touched one before. My summer is gone, isn't it?

Yes, i have 176 hrs played on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Anyone else notice that some games prices have increased compared to a week or two ago. It's bad practice from steam just to make their discounts look bigger. And is it not illegal to mislead consumers like that?

A few days ago fallen enchantress legendary heroes was €29.99 and now it's saying it's being discounted from it's original price of €36.99.

And when I go to check it's pricing history (http://www.steamgamesales.com/FsUcu/fallen-enchantress-legendary-heroes) it only shows the last two days, dodgy stuff from steam.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone else notice that some games prices have increased compared to a week or two ago. It's bad practice from steam just to make their discounts look bigger. And is it not illegal to mislead consumers like that?

A few days ago fallen enchantress legendary heroes was €29.99 and now it's saying it's being discounted from it's original price of €36.99.

And when I go to check it's pricing history (http://www.steamgamesales.com/FsUcu/fallen-enchantress-legendary-heroes) it only shows the last two days, dodgy stuff from steam.

It probably had 10% or something similar off a few days ago, but is now 25% off. They almost always have a small amount off their games, regardless of the sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I had the same thing pointed out yesterday too. I dont really look at how much discount is. I just looks if its worth the asking price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Kiith wrote: »
    It probably had 10% or something similar off a few days ago, but is now 25% off. They almost always have a small amount off their games, regardless of the sale.

It very well could have been. I've been watching the game on and off for a fair while and it was spending almost all its time at a 10% discount from what I remember.

Here, have a look. I got prove.

http://www.steamgamesales.com/9iYYh/sins-of-a-solar-empire-rebellion

Look atthe estimate price before sale and on sale. Assholes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I had the same thing pointed out yesterday too. I dont really look at how much discount is. I just looks if its worth the asking price.
    Seriously, this. And I don't care necessarily if it'll go down a bit more. If a game gets a discount and gets in to impulse buy territory, I'll get it. I've said it before, but there is a value to having the game now (if I plan to play it now) that compensates, or eliminates the waiting for more of a price drop. As a for instance, yeah, FTL might go down more. Big deal. I'm happy to have it for the price I paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

I noticed that during the Christmas sale. Skyrim was €30 before the sale, then Steam bumped it up to €50 and gave it a 50% discount.

Bit misleading alright, but I guess a deal is a deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Here, have a look. I got prove.

http://www.steamgamesales.com/9iYYh/sins-of-a-solar-empire-rebellion

Look atthe estimate price before sale and on sale. Assholes....

Pretty sure it's the publisher of the game that sets the prices, not Steam. Steam only takes a 30% cut of all sales, but afaik, they have to ask each publisher if they want to participate in the Summer/Xmas sale and what prices to set for their games.

It's quite possible that the publisher requested a price increase BEFORE the sale to make the deal look better...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

For Dark Souls a controller is 100% necessary.

I would play with mouse and keyboard if it were at all a reasonably possibility.

It isn't. You need one.

+1 on that go back to your ps3 version if you can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

delta36 wrote: »
    I noticed that during the Christmas sale. Skyrim was €30 before the sale, then Steam bumped it up to €50 and gave it a 50% discount.

Bit misleading alright, but I guess a deal is a deal?

The discount is off the list/RRP price rather than the current price as of last week.

Falthyron wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's the publisher of the game that sets the prices, not Steam. Steam only takes a 30% cut of all sales, but afaik, they have to ask each publisher if they want to participate in the Summer/Xmas sale and what prices to set for their games.

It's quite possible that the publisher requested a price increase BEFORE the sale to make the deal look better...

Its still an asshole move, though discounts is discount.

Yeah, of course, but it seems a bit unfair blaming Steam for this when it could very well be the publisher of the game in question.

_Puma_ wrote: »
    Ya that is what I'm afraid of, especially with Dark Souls, where any false move is fatal. Guess I might just stump up for a controller now too! Damn you Steam Sale!!

Did you not say you have a ps3, you can use it as a controller, use motionjoy to get it working. Works perfectly for me.
    nesf wrote: »
    The discount is off the list/RRP price rather than the current price as of last week.

nesf did you have fallen enchantress before you got legendary heroes because I think owners of it get 50% off legendary heroes which might explain why it's showing 25% and 66%

Lol I made a thread about it in Steam forums. Looks like it was deleted instantly, not even locked. :)

Yeah, of course, but it seems a bit unfair blaming Steam for this when it could very well be the publisher of the game in question.

No it's the retailer who is misleading, I think you have to have a product on sale for 1 month at a certain price before you can say that it is being reduced from that price.

Otherwise during sales you would have retailers doubling the original price and then saying 50% off sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

To be devil's advocate here for a second. Game X has a 10% discount at some point before the big summer sale. It then returns to normal price before the sale. Once the sale begins it becomes 50% off. What exactly is wrong here?

Another case. Game X has a 10% discount before the summer sale. Summer sale begins and that discount is increased to 50%. It's still 50% off its normal price, not the 10% discount price. Why would you expect it to display relative discount % compared to the old pre-sale discount price? Would you actually expect Valve to display the game's normal price over the course of the summer sale as the discount value it had before the sale began?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

No it's the retailer who is misleading, I think you have to have a product on sale for 1 month at a certain price before you can say that it is being reduced from that price.

Otherwise during sales you would have retailers doubling the original price and then saying 50% off sale.

In Ireland if you are putting something on a sale you can only use the lowest non sale price from the last six weeks as the quoted original price. Also a sale can no longer be called a sale if it has lasted six weeks. Problem is steam isn't in Ireland.

Jernal wrote: »
    To be devil's advocate here for a second. Game X has a 10% discount at some point before the big summer sale. It then returns to normal price before the sale. Once the sale begins it becomes 50% off. What exactly is wrong here?

Another case. Game X has a 10% discount before the summer sale. Summer sale begins and that discount is increased to 50%. It's still 50% off its normal price, not the 10% discount price. Why would you expect it to display relative discount % compared to the old pre-sale discount price? Would you actually expect Valve to display the game's normal price over the course of the summer sale as the discount value it had before the sale began?

They usually put 10% off from RRP, which in this case 29.99eu. that website 100% proved that that was the normal price for that game for months.
    They put up the price of RRP to 36.99eu same day they gave it 66% discount. they clearly increased price to make discount look a lot better. 66% off looks a lot better then lets say 50%?

It would be the same as going to shop and buying milk for 2eu for the last year. One day shop goes all Bananas with sales and says that it has 50% off milk!!! The catch is they bumped the price of milk to 3eu. So you expect milk to be 1eu, but in reality it is now 1.5eu. So you see. 50% sale sounds better then 25% sale.

• Advertisement

They usually put 10% off from RRP, which in this case 29.99eu. that website 100% proved that that was the normal price for that game for months.
    They put up the price of RRP to 36.99eu same day they gave it 66% discount. they clearly increased price to make discount look a lot better. 66% off looks a lot better then lets say 50%?

It would be the same as going to shop and buying milk for 2eu for the last year. One day shop goes all Bananas with sales and says that it has 50% off milk!!! The catch is they bumped the price of milk to 3eu. So you expect milk to be 1eu, but in reality it is now 1.5eu. So you see. 50% sale sounds better then 25% sale.

Does it matter all that much though? After all, it is still cheaper than the original price because of the sale. Hell, they could have made it cost 1,000 euro before the sale and then given it a 99% discount :P

Ahh I see what you're talking about in the Graph now. Pretty sure that's illegal in Ireland. If they're retailing in Ireland doesn't that put them in trouble.
    I'd contact Stardock and Valve if I were you.

One thing worth bearing in mind is that there's always the possibility it is a pricing error. :)

Does it matter all that much though? After all, it is still cheaper than the original price because of the sale. Hell, they could have made it cost 1,000 euro before the sale and then given it a 99% discount :P

It's displaying false information to customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

GTA IV won community poll, hopefully the DLC will go on sale too.

Grand Theft Auto just won the community vote. In about half an hour the complete Collection of IV should be less than €10. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yay, a purchase finally went through, I got FTL! :D

Still pissed I missed out on the Borderlands DLC but fingers crossed it'll be up again at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Is the compete edition worth it if, let's say it's a tenner? What's Episodes of Liberty City like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Links234 wrote: »
    Yay, a purchase finally went through, I got FTL! :D

Still pissed I missed out on the Borderlands DLC but fingers crossed it'll be up again at that price

If it's like the Winter Sale 2012, it'll come up lots.

Flash, Daily, Community Choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭aaronsharkey

Hopefully a decent daily deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Oh, and don't know if anyone has already posted, but Amazon are price matching, and if you use GOONCAVE, you'll get a one off 15% extra off.

Advertisement