Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Summer Sale 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hey Guys,
    I've a recent pretty high spec mac book pro and I haven't played a FPS in years.
    If I was to attempt to give the genre another go and wanted something that would showcase the power of my shiny new laptop, would I be better getting Far Cry 3 or Bioshock Infinite?
    I know it's subjective, but I'd value any opinions.

Even if you got brand new shiny newest Mac, it will be useless at gaming. I dont want to sound like a mac hater, but you wount show off the power with mac, it will just make you sad at how low value on power/price it has.

Check your specs first, then you can search on youtube similar videos, which will show you how much you can push out of your machine. In this video he got a 2012 15" macbook pro version. Not too much info on spec it self. He manages to play it 1080p med to high on directx 9 on 30fps. Not sure if he has AA on at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Jaafa wrote: »
    Assuming your mac has a Gt650m GPU and 1080p screen, you'd struggle to run Far cry 3 at medium settings. Bioshock would fair better, you could possibly push high settings with that.

The latest 15" MBP came in two flavours, 1440 x 900 or 1680 x 1050. Neither of which approaches 1080p. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

6.79 For blood dragon?I'm gonna have to get that.

Even if you got brand new shiny newest Mac, it will be useless at gaming. I dont want to sound like a mac hater, but you wount show off the power with mac, it will just make you sad at how low value on power/price it has.

Check your specs first, then you can search on youtube similar videos, which will show you how much you can push out of your machine. In this video he got a 2012 15" macbook pro version. Not too much info on spec it self. He manages to play it 1080p med to high on directx 9 on 30fps. Not sure if he has AA on at all.

That's a Retina Mac Book Pro. It has a 2880x1800 screen and a mid-range GPU. It's not intended for serious gaming at all, ever.

The regular Mac Book Pro has the same GPU but a far more modest resolution which means its performance is ok. Your main issue is OpenGL not directX if you're running it on OSX. If you're dual booting into Windows it's the same as any other 650M laptop.

nesf wrote: »
    The latest 15" MBP came in two flavours, 1440 x 900 or 1680 x 1050. Neither of which approaches 1080p. :)

Just googled macbook pro 15 and almost got heart attack. Looks like they got one with retina displat for almost 3k eu with i7, 16gb ram and gt650! :eek:

Looks like cheaper models come with hd4000. Would be enough for low settings games, but not at 1080p.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Voted Shogun. FTL looks interesting...

Just googled macbook pro 15 and almost got heart attack. Looks like they got one with retina displat for almost 3k eu with i7, 16gb ram and gt650! :eek:

Looks like cheaper models come with hd4000. Would be enough for low settings games, but not at 1080p.

The cheaper models come with either HD4000 or nVidia 650M graphics (on the 15" variants).

The Retina models are silly money. Then again, those screens are also insane for that a netbook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

OK, it says NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024MB.

Which would mean going for Bioshock, which as another poster pointed out isn't available on mac.

Back to the drawing board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Not sure if it's the exact one. At the bottom you'll find a list of benchmarks for various games. It's not 100% accurate but it gives an indication of the performance level you should expect graphics wise. :)

Which would mean going for Bioshock, which as another poster pointed out isn't available on mac.

You should be able to play farcry 3. Maybe not on high settings, but still very playable and way better quality then console.

• Advertisement

No. Google Bootcamp and buy yourself a copy of Windows 7. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

BTW, I'd highly recommend the Enhanced Steam add-on for Firefox & Chrome,
    it adds new features to the Steam website when you are browsing.

Enhanced Steam features;
    • Find out how much you save on a bundle
    • See pricing history for each game
    • See how much you've spent on Steam
    • Highlight games you already own
    • Highlight games on your wishlist
    • Point out 3rd party DRM on games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Bought Civ V Gold earlier and its not showing up in my library and seemingly not even registering that I've bought it, it asks me to buy again when I click on the game in the store.

Plenty of similar problems on Google but I've tried restarting both steam & my laptop with no success.

Any ideas..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Moon54 wrote: »
    BTW, I'd highly recommend the Enhanced Steam add-on for Firefox & Chrome,
    it adds new features to the Steam website when you are browsing.

Enhanced Steam features;
    • Find out how much you save on a bundle
    • See pricing history for each game
    • See how much you've spent on Steam
    • Highlight games you already own
    • Highlight games on your wishlist
    • Point out 3rd party DRM on games

I think that would just depress me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Harps wrote: »
    Bought Civ V Gold earlier and its not showing up in my library and seemingly not even registering that I've bought it, it asks me to buy again when I click on the game in the store.

Plenty of similar problems on Google but I've tried restarting both steam & my laptop with no success.

Any ideas..?

Exit steam.
    Go into the directory where you installed steam.
    Delete everything EXCEPT steam.exe and steamapps folder (this is your games folder so do not under any circumstances delete this unless you want to redownload all your games:p )

Restart steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

See, FTL on a daily deal. Good example of not buying things when they're not on a Daily or Flash deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Jernal wrote: »
    Exit steam.
    Go into the directory where you installed steam.
    Delete everything EXCEPT steam.exe and steamapps folder (this is your games folder so do not under any circumstances delete this unless you want to redownload all your games:p )

Restart steam.

Thanks, Ill give that a shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Sarn

You should be able to play farcry 3. Maybe not on high settings, but still very playable and way better quality then console.

Agreed, it will easily play FC3. My laptop has the same discrete graphics card as the end of 2008 15" MBP and it had no problem playing it on lowest settings. It still looked good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

titan18 wrote: »
    See, FTL on a daily deal. Good example of not buying things when they're not on a Daily or Flash deal.

Slightly cheaper on their website for about €2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

Jet Black wrote: »

I have to admit,I didn't have great expectations for FTL but after half an hour of playing it im hooked,It's really is addictive :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Jet Black wrote: »

That won't count to my Steam Summer Trading Card progress though :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Happy with Civ 5 Gold edition, GTA Complete pack and blood dragon so far. FTL and Just Cause 2 are still tempting me tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

feck it anyway. just cause2+dlc for under a fiver.

Bought as a gift in case I decide not to install it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Sold those trading cards on the market in 5 minutes and got enough for them to buy Just Cause 2. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

So far: To The Moon, CS:GO, Chivalry, Just Cause 2 for €16. Disappointed by the Skyrim DLC, not really looking out for anything in particular so will just play it by day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Very disappointed with CSGO. Even at the price it was it seems too much :(

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

kaimera wrote: »

Really? I thought that was a reasonable price for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

So far for me:
    • Endless Space Gold Edition
    • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
    • Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
    • Legacy of Kain: Defiance
    • Just Cause 2 + All DLC + Official Strategy Guide
    • Football Manger 2013

About €30 all told... I'm weak... so very, very weak...

It's only been one day FFS. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Has Prison Architect gone up or what? I remember it being 21 quid before the sales and now it's 23 (which apparently is 10%)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭Nollog

kaimera wrote: »

It's alright once you get used to it.
    Aim low and shoot through everything.

Though it was still disappointing coming from cs:s to go, I've played enough of it to justify what I paid earlier in the year.

Advertisement