Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Summer Sale 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Question for ye lads, I'm using an Irish registered Steam account but currently in the US for the summer (With a US registered Visa Debit card) is there a way of getting the purchases in $ on the Irish account as it seems to work out cheaper than the € conversion?

I tried gifting a game from a newly made US account but apparently you can't gift a game for 30 days after you register a new account. I won't be able to play the games until I come home so I'm thinking this might be the best way..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Get them on amazon, activate on irish account

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Jernal wrote: »
    Briefly,
    It's against Amazon's terms of use. The product they're selling you is intended for US based customers only.
    Amazon are meant to charge VAT on the sale of items to you as in you're in Europe. It's not doing so. It could possibly be construed as you providing false information to them to get around sales tax.
    you're not getting around tax though, you're still paying it for whatever state you claimed to be in. Also against Amazon's terms does not equal illegal

Get them on amazon, activate on irish account

Aren't Amazon meant to be price matching Steam titles? Can't find Witcher 2 for example anywhere near the dollar price listed on Steam

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭altairscreed

COYVB wrote: »
    you're not getting around tax though, you're still paying it for whatever state you claimed to be in. Also against Amazon's terms does not equal illegal

I don't pay tax in Anchorage :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Links234 wrote: »
    is the walking dead game worth it? 6 odd euro ain't bad

still hoping for LA Noire to come down a bit
    Aren't Amazon meant to be price matching Steam titles? Can't find Witcher 2 for example anywhere near the dollar price listed on Steam

Generally takes them a while to bring it down. I'd say they'll bring it down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Oat23 wrote: »
    Bought Tomb Raider III for €0,62c just so I could lock the butler in the freezer :D

99% sure that's Tomb Raider 2 chief :)

but whats another 62c eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,321 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

RedXIV wrote: »

Jeeves is freezing as we speak.

It's also in TR II I think.

RedXIV wrote: »

If it was his last 62c he's gonna be upset

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I just gave in and got Tomb Raider + Witcher 2 :o

The Last Remnant any good? It's still intruiging me

• Advertisement

Cheers for that Tar, somehow got the US Visa Debit to work with $ on the Irish account.. was giving me problems for ages.

Bought Witcher 2 and Tomb Raider collection. For a first steam sale I'm doing well, but won't be able to eat for ages :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The Gothic series, worth a punt? Metacritic suggests Gothic 3 is a bit naff, but the other reviews are fairly positive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Sarky wrote: »
    The Gothic series, worth a punt? Metacritic suggests Gothic 3 is a bit naff, but the other reviews are fairly positive...

1 & 2 are amazing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Bought Witcher 2 and Tomb Raider collection. For a first steam sale I'm doing well, but won't be able to eat for ages :(
    Tomb Raider is worth it. I think I paid €27 on release and it was worth that and more. Good game. And sure they're practically giving the old games away! You won't have time to eat, it'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Nazi zombie army worth a punt?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The story is very good, but the battle system is not for everyone and still has some graphical issues, but it is far better than the xbox version, think it was only 3 or 4 quid yesterday, but for that price you cannot go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭The Golden Teapot

Absolutely love that game!! Played it a few years ago on the xbox and it really kept me going after the downfall of Final Fantasy! Definitely worth €4. Lots of hours in there.

Richie6904 wrote: »
    Nazi zombie army worth a punt?

I grabbed it based on the title alone. Sniper Elite V2 was an inherently flawed game but in short bursts it was good fun. Hoping for more of the same here and for less than the price of a pint it's hard to go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Question for ye lads, I'm using an Irish registered Steam account but currently in the US for the summer (With a US registered Visa Debit card) is there a way of getting the purchases in $ on the Irish account as it seems to work out cheaper than the € conversion?

I tried gifting a game from a newly made US account but apparently you can't gift a game for 30 days after you register a new account. I won't be able to play the games until I come home so I'm thinking this might be the best way..

Why don't you just buy them in your regular account?
    Just if you're getting euros, it's probably because it's the country/currency that you used when you first visited the site.
    Use a different browser than your normally use or clear your cache.
    Otherwise, visit the US store.
    store.steampowered.com/?cc=us
    store.steampowered.com/?cc=ie to switch back to the Irish one.
    You might want to still clear all your cache rather than visiting the different store as they might flag it and delay you from buying. Or if you don't want to be losing settings, install another browser if you don't have one. I like opera!

Once you're located in the US and have the US store and are using a credit card that you haven't used before in Ireland, you should be able to buy from the US store.

Monotype wrote: »
    Once you're located in the US and have the US store and are using a credit card that you haven't used before in Ireland, you should be able to buy from the US store.

Got it that way in the end after some tinkering, cheers Mono!

• Advertisement

Gonna keep playing Hotline Miami ( PS3 ) till the next flash sale and then sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

I can't stop playing FTL,I love it so much. Im 100% done but still have fun replaying it. Best buy for me so far :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Think I'm going to hold off on AOE HD until Thanksgiving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Hotline Miami is hella fun. Frustrating, but hella fun. Think I need new batteries in my wireless mouse/keyboard though. Keep getting splatted in the few few levels!

Yes again proof that graphics alone don't make a game good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, I just played 4 hours current map on civ 5 and I got backstabbed by dirty Sweden pigs. Deleted save and will start a new game again.

At least now I learned a lot of stuff. And not trusting sweds is only small part of it :D.

Anyone who got a pc should get civ game asap! :) . I am starting to like civ 5 more now. I might not go back to civ 4 after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

Digy123 wrote: »
    I can't stop playing FTL,I love it so much. Im 100% done but still have fun replaying it. Best buy for me so far :D

I have 6 hours played on it but have yet to get to the end

Hotline Miami is hella fun. Frustrating, but hella fun. Think I need new batteries in my wireless mouse/keyboard though. Keep getting splatted in the few few levels!

Yes again proof that graphics alone don't make a game good!

Had it for ages on my laptop and never got around to playing it, then my girlfriend got it on her ps3 and have been hooked since, she has not got a chance to play it yet because of me :pac:

shaneb92 wrote: »
    I have 6 hours played on it but have yet to get to the end

Have finished it twice in under a hour since I got it yesterday :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

wait til you finish Hotline Miami. Then you go back for the impossible A grade.

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    Think I'm going to hold off on AOE HD until Thanksgiving.
    Yeah same here hopefully it'll drop to €5 by then
    Well, I just played 4 hours current map on civ 5 and I got backstabbed by dirty Sweden pigs. Deleted save and will start a new game again.

At least now I learned a lot of stuff. And not trusting sweds is only small part of it :D.

Anyone who got a pc should get civ game asap! :) . I am starting to like civ 5 more now. I might not go back to civ 4 after all.
    It took me around 20 hours before I learned to play Civ :) Currently on my fifth playthrough using the Brave New World expansion and even tho it's in my top 5 best game's ever it makes it so much better than before the expansion is awesome!

Advertisement