Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Summer Sale 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,724 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

to make you feel better I don't have KSP. I played an alpha build last year for an entire week and loved the **** out of it, but I have enough to occupy me.

I guess what im really saying is if you didn't play an alpha build for a week last year and stare at a capsule orbiting the planet and touching back down after inserting a satellite into a geostationary orbit, yeah, you should buy this game. but wait for a flash sale. it WILL flash sale. Patience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Anyone who doesn't buy KSP isn't a real gamer. :pac: It's more than worth it's full price so at 40% off it's a steal. Even if you don't know anything about orbital mechanics, failing and crashing is still fun and some of the mods are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Damn it. Wasted my vote. When did they change the damn name to Infestation?

FFS.

I don't know why War Z is hated so much, I played Day Z from very early on and then got bored of how time consuming it was (you can't just jump on and play for an hour). I bought War Z for next to nothing in a sale and got much more enjoyment out of it. None or very few of the glitches reported at the start are still there. It has lots of issues but as stand alone game it is much more refined. I have had much better PVP on it and most of the mechanics are the same as DayZ. When I got bored of it and went back to DayZ it was almost unplayable, the zombies still glitch all over the place and don't walk in a straight lines. I get killed more times by something messing up then by people or AI. If you have Arma2 it is probably not worth getting but if not I think it is worth a try if cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

FrostyJack wrote: »
    I don't know why War Z is hated so much, I played Day Z from very early on and then got bored of how time consuming it was (you can't just jump on and play for an hour). I bought War Z for next to nothing in a sale and got much more enjoyment out of it. None or very few of the glitches reported at the start are still there. It has lots of issues but as stand alone game it is much more refined. I have had much better PVP on it and most of the mechanics are the same as DayZ. When I got bored of it and went back to DayZ it was almost unplayable, the zombies still glitch all over the place and don't walk in a straight lines. I get killed more times by something messing up then by people or AI. If you have Arma2 it is probably not worth getting but if not I think it is worth a try if cheap.

Most of the hatred comes from it being sold for a pretty penny when in a completely unplayable state. Calling it an Alpha was being generous from the reports. It was the first time I've seen a large campaign for a refund from Steam.

nesf wrote: »
    Most of the hatred comes from it being sold for a pretty penny when in a completely unplayable state. Calling it an Alpha was being generous from the reports. It was the first time I've seen a large campaign for a refund from Steam.

Yeah it was a mercenary job alright, with all the in game buys and having to wait to respawn, but it is fine now (well I haven't played it in months) once it was patched. Dead Island is a much worse game, it is complete tripe, yet I never hear the venom said about that. L4D is great though, probably still king of zombie games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Zombies are fairly ****e in WarZ to be fairn...
    You say that you die more often by things messing up, but I often die from terrible game mechanics/bugs/glitches in WarZ. I'm not saying I don't have my fair share of stupid stuff killing me in DayZ, but it's worse in WarZ. At least for me.
    The game is an all around mess! I have no idea how you can possible enjoy the PVP experience, and think it's better then DayZ!? DayZ's PVP is based of ARMA II's, which is a brilliant Military sim game. WarZ's PVP experience, looks, and plays as if it was thrown together.
    DayZ has a load of bugs, and ARMA II isn't the smoothest base game, but even still I'd pick it over WarZ any day! I think the reviews it received pretty much paint the perfect picture...It's just complete ****e.
    When I first started playing DayZ a few week ago, I thought it was pretty "meh", a lot of which came down to the zombies. All it took was a little getting use to and they no longer bother me.
    The map isn't as big as they say. Only one map. Not much variant in loot. Clunky. Users will always shot on sight. Micro-transactions. Lots of features still haven't been put into the game and are advertised (or had been advertised) Hacking still seems to be a really issue, even after they implanted PunkBuster. etc, etc
    Your point about not being able to jump on DayZ for an hour, while you can on WarZ, is quite honestly BS! Both are the same in that respect. Both are the same type of game, how you could make that point is just confusing...
    You should also keep in mind, DayZ is a 100% free mod (With a standalone coming soon) for a game. To expect no bugs would be crazy! WarZ on the other hand, is a "full" game.
    Add to all of that, the background story of the game, and the devs being dickheads, I can honestly say, I'd rather **** in my hand and clap then give them any more of my money. Seriously, everyone stay away from it!!!

Mister Man wrote: »
    Zombies are fairly ****e in WarZ to be fairn...
    You say that you die more often by things messing up, but I often die from terrible game mechanics/bugs/glitches in WarZ. I'm not saying I don't have my fair share of stupid stuff killing me in DayZ, but it's worse in WarZ. At least for me.

The Zombies in WarZ are much more consistant, in DayZ sometimes you can run past them other times they can see you from miles away, through walls etc, very annoying. You can easily pick one off at a time in WarZ but I suppose that ruins some of the fear factor.
    I have no idea how you can possible enjoy the PVP experience, and think it's better then DayZ!? DayZ's PVP is based of ARMA II's, which is a brilliant Military sim game. WarZ's PVP experience, looks, and plays as if it was thrown together.

They have pretty much the same mechanics, in DayZ you could walk for hours and see no one, the smaller maps and focal points make for much better PVP, that and the more consistant game play.
    I think the reviews it received pretty much paint the perfect picture

Reviews made before it was patched.
    Only one map. Not much variant in loot. Clunky. Users will always shot on sight
    Same as DayZ for the most part.
    Your point about not being able to jump on DayZ for an hour, while you can on WarZ, is quite honestly BS! Both are the same in that respect. Both are the same type of game, how you could make that point is just confusing...

The map is smaller in WarZ and the main areas are close together. You can walk in a loop on them and save items in vaults. I don't know how many times DayZ was updated meaning I went back to zero when I logged out and had to start a new character.
    I'd rather **** in my hand and clap then give them any more of my money. Seriously, everyone stay away from it!!!

Everyone don't buy COD MW2 there are no dedicated servers.

This is derailing the thread a bit, so we will just have to agree I am right and you are wrong. :)

I have only bought about 4 games this steam sale that I will never play, I think I am doing well!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've already bought way too many games. Definitely more then the last two sales.

God damn it Valve :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Kiith wrote: »
    I've already bought way too many games. Definitely more then the last two sales.

God damn it Valve :P

Same, managed to only spend about €4 over the past year in the sales....currently at €33 so far :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

So far iv gotten:

Hotline Miami
    Bastion
    FTL
    Torchlight II
    Civ v gold edition

And have €10 left in my wallet for this sale, pretty happy with those games so far. Not sure if I'm looking any anything else in particular now although I'm sure still spend it all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

DayZ is a mod, not a standalone. Those sort of problems will be expected until the standalone is released.

Some people like WarZ and others hate it. Same goes for DayZ. Personally I much prefer DayZ to WarZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    DayZ is a mod, not a standalone. Those sort of problems will be expected until the standalone is released.

Until it hits Gold really.
    It's coming out in Alpha and all that really means is it will be semi-not-crashy and have some of the core features working.

Beta will be 90% feature complete and pretty stable.

Gold will then finish everything off with a nice bit of polish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Bastion was on sale? Damn, that was one of the few games on my list and I seem to have missed it
    Reviews made before it was patched
    How many months should reviewers wait before issuing a review?

Looks like a lot of people are getting caught out by WarZ name change. People commenting that they chose it without knowing what it was and instantly regretted it. Wonder if it will win the CC.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Okay i missed all the weekend sales, specifically Fez, what do people reckon will it be back? also will skyrim go to more than 30% off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

VinLieger wrote: »
    Okay i missed all the weekend sales, specifically Fez, what do people reckon will it be back? also will skyrim go to more than 30% off?

i think Fez will show up in a flash sale/cc vote and Skyrim will be a featured sale sometime this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's up for vote now with a potential 50% off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

NTMK wrote: »
    i think Fez will show up in a flash sale/cc vote and Skyrim will be a featured sale sometime this week

Heh, it's on the Community Vote since 10:00.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Fez for $5 in the community vote :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Now accepting bribes for my valuable single vote!

Ah I'll probably vote for Fez. I have Monaco (awesome game though), and NSII didn't quite live up to it's predecessor according to reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Everyone pls vote for Monaco. :)

Tempted by pro evo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,175 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Complete Trine for €4.29? That could be done, though I have 2 on PS+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

So what are people doing with their cards ? Last time I'd loads of items but never used them before the sale ended so lost them. Are people hanging on to them or selling them ? Will they be about after the sale ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I'll give away all my cards to whoever wants them. No interest personally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Grimebox wrote: »
    I'll give away all my cards to whoever wants them. No interest personally

DIBS!

Please :P

They're hardly worth selling off at this point. Just going to leave them there and see what happens in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I sold my duplicates and bought ones I needed.

Flash sales have been piss poor this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i thought they were pretty good tbh, i just had everything already :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

The fact that you don't get the cards for games you completed years ago is nonsense too. I mean having to re-install half-life 2 again to get cards ? Who does that ? Ok I did it lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

A Valve dude said the summer getaway cards won't disappear from your inventories after the sale, and people will still be able to craft that badge. But seeing as there won't be any more of them being generated, there's a chance they'll go up in value a little. Just means there's no rush to get rid of them now I suppose.

Advertisement