Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Summer Sale 2013

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

WarZoneBrother, one time it took five or ten minutes for me to get a card after spending ahem, another $10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

WarZoneBrother, one time it took five or ten minutes for me to get a card after spending ahem, another $10.

Let's hope this is my last :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Anyone want a vote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For those of you feeling guilty about spending money in the sale, looks like the weekly humble bundle is updated tomorrow at 6pm. So donate to charity and I think that covers you for the rest of the sale. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

CastorTroy wrote: »
    For those of you feeling guilty about spending money in the sale, looks like the weekly humble bundle is updated tomorrow at 6pm. So donate to charity and I think that covers you for the rest of the sale. :pac:

Any idea what's in the bundle?

For science, like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

By my calculations, if I vote in every CC between here and the end of the sale, I'll have 9/10 cards for the level 2 badge.

Now... do I allow myself to spend another few euro on games for a card drop, or do I spend a few cent on the one I end up missing...

Decisions! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Valve bundle is fairly good value, L4D 1&2, Portal 1&2, HL 1&2, CS Source and GO, all for €30. Essential for anyone on their first sale http://store.steampowered.com/sub/29197/

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭altairscreed

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    By my calculations, if I vote in every CC between here and the end of the sale, I'll have 9/10 cards for the level 2 badge.

Now... do I allow myself to spend another few euro on games for a card drop, or do I spend a few cent on the one I end up missing...

Have you got no doubles to sell off?

Get in there just got a Prison Artifact (Foil) *fist pump :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Um, what if you get nine of the same cards? :p
    Anno 2070 is a fantastic game. Learning curve is vast but worth it. Nesf actually sent me tutorial videos.:o
    It went like this.
    Video #1 : about 1 hour long.
    Video #2 : Ok folks, before you watch this video you should try to do everything that i mentioned in the previous video it's taken me ten hours of solid gameplay to reach this point. So it's best you do it for yourself first. You want X,Y,Z, etc. Ok, now we're going to introduce another basic concept.

I'd say after about 15 or so hours. You should have the hang of it. Truth be told you'll have a grasp of it in about 3 hours. But you'll still be all over the place. In fact, 80 hours playing the game and I'm still learning stuff. I suppose every game is like that to some extent but in Anno the game really does make you feel like a noob for almost forever. It's brilliant though and totally worth the effort you put into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Ah Prison Artifact and Chivalry Modern Warfare. Two great games! :pac:

You selling the foil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Any idea what's in the bundle?

For science, like.

No idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

nesf wrote: »
    I picked up Mount & Blade, it's fairly old but I've been curious about it for a long time.

It's possible to lose days to it. There's not much personality to any of the NPCs, but if you can look past that the game is really engrossing, with a huge amount of stuff to do and see. The mounted combat in particular is friggin' awesome.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Only found out yesterday that on Steam Valve give devs 70% of the cut, 30% go to Valve, whereas in retail 70% goes to the retailer, 30% to the devs. Go Steam!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Another interesting fact, FEZ creator posted the Devs sales figures that they have on Steam...

BPJ5TKOCMAEUih5.jpg:large

He went on to claim that the FEZ 2 day deal raked in more revenue than it has done on Xbox Live.

That really is bananers. He made about half a million in revenue from the sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

What's that worth out of interest?

What's that worth out of interest?

€1 it is going for now... At the start someone got €12.74 for it :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Sarky wrote: »
    It's possible to lose days to it. There's not much personality to any of the NPCs, but if you can look past that the game is really engrossing, with a huge amount of stuff to do and see. The mounted combat in particular is friggin' awesome.
    There are also a load of brilliant mods that really improve the game. Prophesy of Pendor for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

He made about half a million in revenue from the sales.

And that's only one game. How much fcking revenue does Valve make? Now they've even got trading cards making even more for them now! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Valve take a pretty nice cut from all market transactions. It's only a few cents if you're selling a card, but there's millions of those, not to mention the TF2 items. Even without selling actual games I suspect they'd be doing ok for themselves. I'm kinda torn on the Fez sales thing there. It's great that the developer is getting a massive sales boost. It's a shame that it took a Steam sale to do it though.

Voting seems to be on starter packs for free to play games now. I'd recommend Warframe, it's ridiculous fun and well worth spending a few quid on for a couple of shiny things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I voted for Star Trek: Online, only because i've actually played it. Wouldn't mind giving it a go again with the new Romulan faction.

Bastion really is worth it... Just got my 3 cards there so hopefully a miracle happens and I can get a badge before the 22nd so I can gather my 7 or 8 trading cards from the Summer Getaway Sale (Few foils would be nice also :p).. Now back to MC Pixel to try get the rest of the cards so I have the best shot at getting a booster pack...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Kiith wrote: »
    There are also a load of brilliant mods that really improve the game. Prophesy of Pendor for one.

The Diplomacy mod (I assume we're talking about the more superior M&B: Warband here :D) is probably the only mod you really need. It adds alot more management and diplomacy options especially when creating your own kingdom. Besides some clunky combat, Mount & Blade (espeically Warband) is one of the finest games I'v ever played.

In terms of other mods, another one that I found good was 'Eagle and the Radiant Cross'. It completely changes the factions, map layout, story, textures, lighting and also adds firearms and alot more overall features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Jernal wrote: »
    Um, what if you get nine of the same cards? :p
    Anno 2070 is a fantastic game. Learning curve is vast but worth it. Nesf actually sent me tutorial videos.:o
    It went like this.
    Video #1 : about 1 hour long.
    Video #2 : Ok folks, before you watch this video you should try to do everything that i mentioned in the previous video it's taken me ten hours of solid gameplay to reach this point. So it's best you do it for yourself first. You want X,Y,Z, etc. Ok, now we're going to introduce another basic concept.

I'd say after about 15 or so hours. You should have the hang of it. Truth be told you'll have a grasp of it in about 3 hours. But you'll still be all over the place. In fact, 80 hours playing the game and I'm still learning stuff. I suppose every game is like that to some extent but in Anno the game really does make you feel like a noob for almost forever. It's brilliant though and totally worth the effort you put into it.

Thanks for the warning, I was considering picking it up and playing with it for a while. For me, single player strategy games are generally a process of spending time with it until I know the system fairly well and feeling like I don't have much more I need to try out and then I just stop and move on. It took about 20 hours with Tropico 3 but I just don't have the time to drop 80 on one game, so I guess I'll come back to it some day.
    Only found out yesterday that on Steam Valve give devs 70% of the cut, 30% go to Valve, whereas in retail 70% goes to the retailer, 30% to the devs. Go Steam!

I think that's similar to iTunes but where did you hear that retailers take 70% of the cuts on games? Every report I've ever heard has said that retailers make a pittance on selling games and depend massively on the second hand market to turn a profit at all (and even then, Gamestop made a big loss last year).
    I'm kinda torn on the Fez sales thing there. It's great that the developer is getting a massive sales boost. It's a shame that it took a Steam sale to do it though.

I would say developers like him know from the start that it will take a Steam sale in order to really move weight. Indie games can generally go either way and it's often hard to know how good they'll be without buying them so €10 for one can seem steep to a lot of people. Also, they generally don't get covered or advertised in mainstream gaming media so being on the front page of Steam at a busy time is often most of the exposure they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I haven't bought anything this time round.
    Has rogue legacy been in any flash sales yet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm kinda torn on the Fez sales thing there. It's great that the developer is getting a massive sales boost. It's a shame that it took a Steam sale to do it though.
    Well, the guy does say things like PCs are only for spreadsheets. And is also a massive douche. I'm sad it started selling tbh. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I haven't bought anything this time round.
    Has rogue legacy been in any flash sales yet?
    I second that.

Nothing spikes my interest other than XCOM for 5 euro and Total War Rome II which ill prob pick up in the winter sale.

Wallet you are safe....for now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

Well, the guy does say things like PCs are only for spreadsheets. And is also a massive douche. I'm sad it started selling tbh. :p

Have you guys watched Indie Game: The Movie ? It's a pretty good watch and the creator of Fez is in it showing his struggles with the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Another interesting fact, FEZ creator posted the Devs sales figures that they have on Steam...

I'm pretty sure that he's not supposed to be posting those figures according to the agreement with Valve. The info has been leaking out about the 30% recently, but he's going out of his was to spread it around.

He also said a few months ago that gog take a similar 30% but he encourages use of the humble store as he gets a around a 95% cut from that.
    http://www.edge-online.com/news/humble-store-revenue-split-preferable-to-steam-and-gog-says-phil-fish/

Here's the link to the humble store for fez (no front on it, at the moment) if anyone is interested - $7.49 at the moment.
    https://www.humblebundle.com/store/fez
    You get a DRM-free copy and a steam key.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Have you guys watched Indie Game: The Movie ? It's a pretty good watch and the creator of Fez is in it showing his struggles with the game.

He came across as an arrogant twat in that film, I'll happily miss out on playing Fez rather than give him money.

Advertisement