Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on where to move to in South Dublin

Options
  • 21-06-2013 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

I found out today that I've got a 6 month contract to work in Amgen, Potters road, Dun Laoghaire.

I'm 31 and would like a nice neighbourhood with things/sports in the area. If I was sharing I'd pay around 400-500pm but if I thought I could get a 1 bed apt I'd obvioulsy pay more.
    Access to the M50 an advantage.

Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I'd say you would find somewhere in Cherrywood or Loughlinstown, or there are some apartment complexes on Rochestown Avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tulleyvale would be good, access to luas , M50, Ben Dunne gym etc. 5 minutes to Amgen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If you intend to drive in, then anywhere in the Dun Laoghaire/Glenageary/Deansgrange area really, in fact you could draw a line between dun Laoghaire and sandyford and it would be convenient.

But, I would recommend somewhere within walking distance because the traffic isn't good in the evenings and the roadworks on pottery road will make it worse. Parking on site is at a premium and it can be a ten minute walk from your car in to the plant.

Look for places in Rochestown ave (there are a few in granitfield) or Johnstown road, which is a nice enough area and handy walking distance. Put cabinteely, Deansgrange and dun Laoghaire in your search location.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

But, I would recommend somewhere within walking distance because the traffic isn't good in the evenings and the roadworks on pottery road will make it worse.
    +1. The previous posters listed places near the M50, but do you want daily access to it? if its just for weekends you will get on it quick enough from the pottery road surrounding areas. So overall your saved commute times are probably more if living near the workplace.

If you are driving any distance to work and they are strict on arrival time then you will have to leave earlier each day as you will be unsure of traffic. I used to cycle to pottery road each day so was unaffected by school terms or traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

rubadub wrote: »
    +1. The previous posters listed places near the M50, but do you want daily access to it? if its just for weekends you will get on it quick enough from the pottery road surrounding areas. So overall your saved commute times are probably more if living near the workplace.

If you are driving any distance to work and they are strict on arrival time then you will have to leave earlier each day as you will be unsure of traffic. I used to cycle to pottery road each day so was unaffected by school terms or traffic.

If you're not from a seaside location originally, you could take the opportunity that the 6 months presents to get somewhere close to the sea, where you could wak, run, rollerblade, cycle, swim, windsurf etc. . It doesn't have to be somewhere with an expensive sea view, but within a few minutes walk of the seafront would be reasonable. Dun Laoghaire/Monkstown would be options

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

Hi Josip - I don't know the area at all to be honest. I did look at three apartments - Beacon South Quarter - good amenities; Roachestown Avenue - Close to work but would be sharing with a house mate that is extremely shy/quiet; The Ramparts - pretty nice but no amenities/autmosphere.

But I was curious if I went close to the seafront is it actually a nice beach/hang out/vibrant area. It hadn't really come into my mind as a bonus to be there. But from what you mentioned it sounds like I'd be missing out.

I'd also like to do classes - Boxing/Martial arts/fitness etc.
    josip wrote: »
    If you're not from a seaside location originally, you could take the opportunity that the 6 months presents to get somewhere close to the sea, where you could wak, run, rollerblade, cycle, swim, windsurf etc. . It doesn't have to be somewhere with an expensive sea view, but within a few minutes walk of the seafront would be reasonable. Dun Laoghaire/Monkstown would be options

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lome

Hi op how about somewhere in Rathfarnham, its the most saught after area in ireland. I lived there for a time and loved it. It has great parks and close to everything. Very little trouble and also right beside m50.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lome wrote: »
    right beside m50.
    Quite far from pottery road though.

There are apartments & small houses around bakers corner pub area.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lome wrote: »
    Hi op how about somewhere in Rathfarnham, its the most saught after area in ireland. I lived there for a time and loved it.
    While rathfarnham is nice, I grew up there I wouldn't say its the most sought after place in Dublin let alone ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lome

ted1 wrote: »
    While rathfarnham is nice, I grew up there I wouldn't say its the most sought after place in Dublin let alone ireland.

I disagree, I remember reading an article in the times recently and it claimed it was. I was kicking myself I moved. Where would you think is?

• Advertisement

Jesper wrote: »
    I'd also like to do classes - Boxing/Martial arts/fitness etc.

Check out the fitness hub in Sallynoggin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

OP, Dalkey to Blackrock offers a variety of coastline depending on what your interests were. Dalkey is a vibrant village and regardless of what you might read, it's still very much a local down to earth community.
    Once you get to Sandycove, you have the Forty Foot for deep water swimming and from Sandycove into Booterstown there's an almost continuous coastal path/quiet streets that's good for cycling and walking. You have beaches at Seapoint and Sandycove (small). Dun Laoghaire hardbour would probably be the place with the most activity of that stretch. The seafront area of DL is nice, with reasonable hang out options. As you go back up the town, less so. Finally between DL and Sandycove you have Teddys. If you're here before the end of Sep, you have to go and try the best ice cream cones in South Dublin.
    I prefer the coastal area to the inland parts, but many of the inland villages are nice and alive. I personally would avoid Cherrywood and Sandyford Industrial estates, they appear a bit bleak and lifeless at off peak times although they are well located for the M50 and there are a plethora of apartments.

The 59 bus stops in Dalkey and is only 20 minutes max to Pottery road.

Advertisement