Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a ghillie/B&B

Options
  • 21-06-2013 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

Long time lurker of this forum so decided to sign up today seeing as ive a few questions needing answered.

Ive been working in construction this last 25 years and seeing as this industry is on its arse, im now looking to change career and was thinking of becoming a ghillie and opening a B&B here in county mayo.

I own land just 1 mile away from Ballylaghan Bridge on the east mayo stretch of the moy. Im also receiving 175k inheritance in the next few years and was going to use this money to build myself a house on my land if all going well i get planning(cant see why not seeing as its great building ground and ive lived here for 15 years)

Im wanting to know what is the process of becoming a ghillie. Would i need to attend collage, if so, what would the fee's be and how long for.

Seeing as my trades are on it's arse and im only getting a few days here and there im hoping that my B&B/becoming a ghillie would bring me in enough to live on in the coming years. I know we arent getting the number's of fishermen we were used to seeing here in the west but i think this will change when the US and european economy picks up again in the next 10 years and seeing as im not getting any younger, i would like to pack the construction work in in about 15 years and become full time at the B&B/ghillie.

I was also hoping to use the B&B in the winter for an adult only B&B to generate income when the fishermen arent here but that's a whole new thread alltogether;)

Advertisement