Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Fibre Router and phone ports

• 21-06-2013 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

I've the new eircom fibre router from Eircm

Should I be able to use the phone ports on it? There is an engaged type tone on it and it does not receive/make calls. I can use the main phone socket for calls fine but interested in using the router for calls too if possible

Can see anything in the modem config pages to set it up also

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

I've the new eircom fibre router from Eircm

Should I be able to use the phone ports on it? There is an engaged type tone on it and it does not receive/make calls. I can use the main phone socket for calls fine but interested in using the router for calls too if possible

Can see anything in the modem config pages to set it up also

Those phone ports are for VOIP, but is not being used by eircom, so they are useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

allen175 wrote: »
    Those phone ports are for VOIP, but is not being used by eircom, so they are useless.

this is true for now but eircom do have plans to bring a voip service in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They trialed VOIP phones with the fibre pilot scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They've obviously got some plan to rollout VoIP products in the future and have future-proofed their 'home gateway' (router/modem).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

So in Ireland there is always a POTS connection right back to the exchange? Interesting. In Germany only Deutsche Telekom (Eirom equivalent) does this as standard for VDSL customers. If you pick any other provider they will only offer VOIP telephony and the copper pair will be terminated at the VDSL cabinet and go no further.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Eircom offers that wholesale and other providers are selling it with out without a dial tone.

On their own retail product they're still selling it with a dial tone at the moment.
    I'm not sure why that is. Perhaps their VoIP platform is still being built or finalised.

They also already have a decent voice platform in place.

Advertisement