Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland texting China

• 21-06-2013 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

This question is really for anyone that maybe in China or sending text to China at the moment.. I am wondering if they are receiving text messages from Vodafone, As of yesterday my SMS are not delivered.. And Vodafone reckons that the problem is on China side.. the network I am texting is China Unicom.

Thanks for any help that I may get with this..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

I haven't texted anyone for awhile but if you entered the full country code+the receiver number then you should be able to do so. Other wise, try to get the receiver to send you a text see if it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Thanks for your reply, I have used mobile text, webtext and even tried to text another friend all coming back text not delivered, so Vodafone reckons it is a network issue regarding China Unicom.I was wondering if anyone else had this issue or is it just me..I can receive text from China and can make a call ( cheaper than text @3cent a minute)..

I got a new SIM yeaterday just to eliminate that cause..I also asked the guy in Vodafone to text my OH from his phone and likewise no delivery..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I use this - http://www.talk2china.com/english/ , works perfectly and very cheap.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Thank you so much Supercell. Just can't understand why all of a sudden SMS not delivered.. I have looked at Talk2China and have to say I wish I had known about it sooner..lol

I know to ring China is cheap @3cent a minute but due to time difference a text message is what is available to me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

No problem. Tesco Mobile is 1c a minute to China, you can port your number to them for free as well by the way.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

For the last few years, SMS to China have been sometimes working, sometimes not.

Frustrating

Have just returned from China, for some reason my mobile phone network did not work, So could not make calls or text.. something about suspending my network.. So I was given a mobile from a friend and got a China unicom sim card..8 weeks and still not able to text China using Vodafone netwotk, so have decided to buy an Android phone and use apps.such as Whatapp and Facetime Skype..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Caonima

If you've got a smartphone, download an app called 'Wechat' (or the Chinese name 'Weixin'). There's an English language version and you can basically send free messages to people. Most Chinese people, and foreigners in China, use it. It's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I had this same problem when I was living in Hong Kong up until June when trying to text my dad who was on Vodafone. We stumbled across this problem in winter so Dad decided to ring Vodafone customer service to figure out why I couldn't receive texts from him (but I could send texts out strangely). According to them, this problem started in November last year, and they believe that the telecom services in Hong Kong - and apparently mainland China, due to this thread - changed a few settings in their data reception systems for receiving external information.

And it's only Vodafone who have this problem in terms of the Irish networks, and it has yet to be fixed. When I travelled outside of China and the SAR's, even on the HK SIM card, Dad had no problem contacting me.

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    This question is really for anyone that maybe in China or sending text to China at the moment.. I am wondering if they are receiving text messages from Vodafone, As of yesterday my SMS are not delivered.. And Vodafone reckons that the problem is on China side.. the network I am texting is China Unicom.

Thanks for any help that I may get with this..

After 9 months Vodafone has informed me by text that it is now possible to text and receive text from China...thank god for Whatsapp and Skype

• Advertisement
Advertisement