Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calgary/Southern Alberta Floods

Options
  • 21-06-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

This doesn't seem to have been reported much by news outlets here or in the UK, but there's been serious flooding in Calgary and South Alberta overnight.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/LIVE+Flood+waters+siege+Calgary+southern+Alberta/8550481/story.html

The good news is nobody has been reported even injured so far which is fairly miraculous, but the bad news is that huge damage has been caused to houses, roads and buildings.

I know there's a lot of Boardsies over there already, so hopefully you're all ok and holding up well.

Without trying to sound insensitive, on a personal level, I have flights booked to go to Calgary at the end of August and am a little concerned by this news.

A lot of businesses will have to foot huge bills for flood damage, so how will this affect job prospects?

Also, people will undoubtedly be forced from their homes, so this will drive up the competition for, and price of accommodation.

Maybe I'm panicking a little too much, but this ain't good.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

people are panic buying now in the store , there sold out of water in most stores .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Only picked up on this through following a few Ice Hockey accounts on Twitter. Apparently the Saddledome is flooded up to the 8th row of seats. Also heard that the zoo is at risk and they may need to move lions and tigers to the courthouse. Devastating news, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Metropolitan

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Only picked up on this through following a few Ice Hockey accounts on Twitter. Apparently the Saddledome is flooded up to the 8th row of seats.

Row 14 now apparently, with dressing rooms and jumbotron control room completely submerged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Only picked up on this through following a few Ice Hockey accounts on Twitter. Apparently the Saddledome is flooded up to the 8th row of seats. Also heard that the zoo is at risk and they may need to move lions and tigers to the courthouse. Devastating news, really.

All true. Very bad here.

• Advertisement

zoo is flooded over to . court house is holding some of the big cats etc in the cells .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

It looks pretty grim up there alright, hopefully there are no casualties.
    (On a personal and very selfish note, I'm sickened as the Stampede is on up there at the start of July and I was really looking forward to it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

reports saying 4 dead now

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Its crazy alright, parts of deerfoot, crowchild and glenmore closed. Most of downtown to 17av sw has been evacuated, pretty much everywhere along the river. Canmore was cut off by mudslides on both sides of highway 1 on wednesday.

Its getting better tho, suns back out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭LostOneHelpMe

Accomodation was hard enough to come by in Calgary after this it'll be nearly impossible to find somewhere to live

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ladybird23

I had planned to go to calgary at the end of august, would people advise to go somewhere else or do you think it will be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Metropolitan

ladybird23 wrote: »
    I had planned to go to calgary at the end of august, would people advise to go somewhere else or do you think it will be ok?

In the same boat, and myself and a friend have decided we're going to go to Edmonton instead. A little annoying as we have flights to Calgary booked, but a 3 hour bus ride North isn't too bad.

It was a bit of a tossup to begin with as both cities are thriving, but Edmonton has lower rent costs and generally a lower cost of living, so the problems Calgary are having has made it an easy decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Frostine

What a difference one week makes! Calgary is continuing with the considerable clean-up from the floods, but roads have already been rebuilt, people are helping their neighbours out and the Calgary Stampede is going on as planned for July 5th, "Come hell or high water"! There can be flooding from year to year in Calgary, but flooding this severe has never happened before! If you are planning to move to Calgary and are concerned, don't move near the Elbow or Bow river. Here's some pictures of the floods.http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Gallery+Herald+Pictures+Week+Best+Flood+2013/8595629/story.html

Advertisement