Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emails

Options
  • 21-06-2013 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Someone forwarded an email I sent them on to my boss. Can they do this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭ladysarah

They can. But did it get you in hot water? Be careful what you say by email.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Someone forwarded an email I sent them on to my boss. Can they do this?

You need to give more info.

Was this email from your company email?
    Was the nature of the email personal or professional?
    Did you place any markers on the email labeling it 'private' or 'sensitive'?

The truth is, once you send out an email it stops being under your control. You should never send an email in work regarding personal issues as most companies have a company email policy which gives them the right to read your emails.
    If it was a professional issue contained in the email then if you don't want it to be forwarded on to the wrong people, or if it is about a sensitive issue not for others eyes, you need to clearly state this in the email and mark it as sensitive or private.

Not knowing the circumstances its hard to say if ethically your colleague was out of order, the short answer to your question is yes they can forward it. Whether what they did was fair or decent is another matter. As the previous poster said, be they careful what you write in an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It was a personal email, personal address. I applied for some jobs and one of the people in one place knew my boss and forwarded it to her

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, when you post as unregistered, it has to be approved by a mod before it shows up. Please don't post the same message over and over.

It was a personal email, personal address. I applied for some jobs and one of the people in one place knew my boss and forwarded it to her

Well in that case it is completely out of order. I would contact the company you applied to and tell them what happened. Doing something like that is incredibly unprofessional and reflects badly on a company. Definitely let senior management in the company you applied to know.

What was the reaction of your boss to this news?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Apologies Mod for messages, I was posting from my phone and the message that it had gone through didn't show up.

Situation is that the person is senior management. Not much I can do about it. I don't want to post too much but boss wants me to stay and not look for new positions, the situation is complicated. Can I pm you little ted?

Apologies Mod for messages, I was posting from my phone and the message that it had gone through didn't show up.

Situation is that the person is senior management. Not much I can do about it. I don't want to post too much but boss wants me to stay and not look for new positions, the situation is complicated. Can I pm you little ted?

you can try OP but I don't think unregistered users can PM but by all means if you can feel free. If I can offer any help I'm more than happy to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

op the person who sent it on to your boss could potentially be in alot of trouble if they did it there could be data protection issues involved.

email the data protection office and ask. info@dataprotection.ie

Advertisement