Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 - Revision Books

• 21-06-2013 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Going into leaving cert in September and want to get revision books before i go back to school and ill be gone most of august so i was wondering does anyone have any suggestions to what revisions book they used and found good
    my subjects are
    1 English (higher)
    2 Irish (higher)
    3 French (ordinary)
    4 Maths (higher)
    5 Biology (higher)
    6 Business (higher)
    7 Home Economics (higher)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

English - Keynotes is the best out there imo, buy the 2014 one. Actually no, wait til school starts and find out which single texts, comparatives etc. you're doing if you don't know already. Don't buy it before school, ask your teacher.

Maths - There aren't any as of yet because of Project Maths being rolled out.

Biology - I'd recommend Revise Wise, it's by Michael O'Callaghan, same author as the book "Leaving Cert Biology". But there's so much in the course you'd need more than the revision book to revise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭Tommyrawr

1 English (higher) - Keynotes

2 Irish (higher) - I used Less stress for grammar and tenses but other than that Get Foinse every week, they have a student section which personally I found better than less stress for answers to poetry and pro's and sraith pictuir.

3 French (ordinary) - I did HL but never used any my teacher despised them as she found they had "broken" french. My friend in OL Used Less stress though and found it good.

5 Biology (higher) - Revise Wise as Nimrod said :)

6 Business (higher) - Less Stress More Success , Less stress is the best for business its very detailed and goes over everything, dont go near revise wise for business it lacks a lot of necessary information

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lin16

thanking ye both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

lin16 wrote: »
    Going into leaving cert in September and want to get revision books before i go back to school and ill be gone most of august so i was wondering does anyone have any suggestions to what revisions book they used and found good
    my subjects are
    1 English (higher)
    2 Irish (higher)
    3 French (ordinary)
    4 Maths (higher)
    5 Biology (higher)
    6 Business (higher)
    7 Home Economics (higher)

I did the exact same subjects as you :), like they said revise wise is brilliant for biology. I know your teacher probably picked your book but i highly recommend 21 century business if you have that book its all you need! Bien dit is good for the french oral.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

Gleasnotaí is good for irish. I have the one for ordinary level and it has really good notes on the poetry & prose and on the straith pictuiri, so make sure you get the 2014 edition!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I wouldnt recommend any revision book tbh. Most of the time people are learning definitions from one text book and then a second set of definitions from another book. Just get a highlighter and high light the important info and put it in a hardback. I wouldnt do it for business as you need to know the ENTIRE book inside out.

With leaving cert exam technique is the most important thing to remember. You can know everything inside out. But if you dont nail the question like in Business or english good luck getting anything higher than a C in either of them. For a subject like business get the exam paper and break up each year questions into the chapters. Revise a chapter and see if you can answer the question. The EU was like 30 pages in my business book. But if you stuck to learning what the questions required you could have got away with just learning 5 pages

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lin16

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    I did the exact same subjects as you :), like they said revise wise is brilliant for biology. I know your teacher probably picked your book but i highly recommend 21 century business if you have that book its all you need! Bien dit is good for the french oral.
    just wondering did u use any revision book for home ec?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

lin16 wrote: »
    just wondering did u use any revision book for home ec?

No.. i just used lifelines and i found that was enough! my friend got revise wise and didn't like it , i looked at it , its not great. I think for home-ec the marking scheme is all you need. Practice a long question and then look up the answer , best thing i think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dazzy123

Is smaointe any good for irish revision does anyone know? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 F2224

Hi all just finished LC 2013 and I have loads of text books & revision books to sell, i'm from Galway and the subjects I did were:
    English (higher)
    Irish (higher)
    Geography (higher)
    Maths (ordinary)
    Biology (higher)
    Agricultural Science (higher)
    Home Economics (higher)

Anyone interested pm me for book types etc !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 O2014D

I have the following Leaving Cert revision books for sale for the first offer:
    - Rapid Revision French (Higher Level)
    - Shortcuts to Success Business for Leaving Certificate
    - Revise Wise Biology (Higher Level)
    - English Key Notes (Higher Level)
    - Active Maths 3 activity book 2013 (Ordinary Level)

And Junior Cert:
    - Revise Wise French (Higher Level)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 riaburke22

O2014D wrote: »
    I have the following Leaving Cert revision books for sale for the first offer:
    - Rapid Revision French (Higher Level)
    - Shortcuts to Success Business for Leaving Certificate
    - Revise Wise Biology (Higher Level)
    - English Key Notes (Higher Level)
    - Active Maths 3 activity book 2013 (Ordinary Level)

And Junior Cert:
    - Revise Wise French (Higher Level)

Where are you based and how much are you selling them for??:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

riaburke22 wrote: »
    Where are you based and how much are you selling them for??:)

They haven't been online in 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 dylanobyrne1

First of all,
    Get exam papers for each of these subjects so that you can make sure you know your material

Second,
    Get less stress, more success study books for each of these subjects, they should be available for purchase in most stationary stores

Third,
    Study your material from books and copies

You should do fine, Good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Anyone know of any good geography revision books apart from exam skills? Teaching myself geography (doing project with school) this year and a lot of the essays in Exam Skills contain nowhere near 15 SRP's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

thelad95 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any good geography revision books apart from exam skills? Teaching myself geography (doing project with school) this year and a lot of the essays in Exam Skills contain nowhere near 15 SRP's

There's another book by edco can't remember the name but I use a combination of sue honans book and that it's pretty much the same thing

Advertisement