Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Draft Quaterfinal 2: Bounty Hunter vs Blatter

• 21-06-2013 6:54pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭

GUFantasyDraft2.jpg

more than half way through now so you know how this works. Nobody posts until both guys can do their write ups at which point (post away) ill add a poll and everyone can vote on who you think would win the match and go on to the semi final.

Who's team would progress to the next round? 11 votes

Bounty Hunter
    0%
    Blatter
    100%
    Bounty HunteroshJohnerDickertyThunbergsAreGoJax TellerJunior DOranage2the incredible puddingDonnielightoMorte 11 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Blatter
    Although I have some flexability with players positionally such as Messi or Zambrotta I will be playing the same team that defeated Garrincha, Matthaus and co in the first round and play the same formation.

Here again in what yes is a little wiki like is a run down of my players which will highlight older players attributes and show just how good others were in their prime and how they might fit together to face Blatters men before I go into specifics about dealing with Blatters team once I've seen his side.
    wrote:
    Gordon Banks: World cup winning goalkeeper alongside Teamate Bobby Moore, known for that save vs Pele who was voted the second best goalkeeper of the 20th century (and best remaining in the draft). As we are talking players prime he was Fifa Goalkeeper of the year for six years running, FIFA Goalkeeper of the Year: 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971.

Nilton Santos: He is regarded as the best left wingback in the history of the game, world class both at defending and attacking, named in the World Team of the 20th Century alongside teamate Bobby Moore

Bobby Moore: Englands only ever world cup winning captain who lifted the European cup winners cup only 1 year before with West Ham, widely regarded as one of the greatest CBs of all time, Pele called him the best CB he ever played against.

Mats Hummels: One of the best CBs in the world right now, style of play likened to Franz Beckenbauer plus speedy, tall and strong. A good foil for Moore when dealing with modern attackers

Gianluca Zambrotta: World Cup winning two footed defender who while quality in defense was known for his ability to get forward , there is a reason why in 2006 this multiple time Seria A winner was in the Uefa, Fifpro & Fifa World Cup all star teams of the year.

Dunga: Another World Cup winning captain who just like he did with Brazil will add the steel and determination needed in midfield to allow the forward flair players do their thing

Patrick Viera: European championship & World cup winning invincible Gooner captain and midfield general who was French player of the year, Premierleague player of the year and in the uefa team of that year

Fransisco Gento: Captain of the greatest ever Real Madrid team and oft no.1 in lists of best ever left wingers, he won the European cup a record 6 times, had great speed and scored more than 175 goals for Madrid from midfield

Kaka: Ballon d'Or: 2007, FIFPro World Player of the Year, IFFHS World‘s Best Playmaker: 2007, Serie A Footballer of the Year: 2007, UEFA Team of the Year: 2007 UEFA Champions League Top Scorer & Best forward & Best footballer of the year: 2006–07... the list goes on but it's safe to say he was the best around in 07

Lionel Messi: The best player of all time, you all know how good he is

Fernando Peyroteo: Portuguese legend with the best goals per game ratio in the history of football

Formation:

abEVPtqaoy.jpg

i'll specifically reply to Blatter's gameplan in another post but now focus on my general tactics:

One of the two best GKs ever argueably and the other was eliminated by my side in the last round. Getting past my defense will be tough but then you have Gordon Banks to somehow defeat, good luck with that.

Typical back four, dependant on opponents strenghts wing backs like Santos & Zambrotta would be expected to get forward as well as defend. Bobby Moore would probably captain the team from CB and would def lead the defense and dealing with Falcao with the assistance of speedier Hummels. In the form of Dunga they would also have the assistance of a world cup winning DM & Leader in this quest who most likely will tackle Bergkamp or my opponents AM if Bergkamp doesn't drop deep.

Beside Dunga there would be another strong presence giving my side real strength at its centre in the form of Viera. However Viera much like his long time rival Roy Keane was in his prime much more of a box to box midfielder than he gets the credit for and his surging runs forward could prove just as important as his ability alongside Dunga to provide a base of possesion for my attackers to use.

In attack you then have goals from every angle starting with another great captain this time in the form of Madrids goalscoring LW Gento. In the other wing forward position you then have for my money the best footballer of all time, Lionel Messi. suffice to say any gaps left by Blatters WBs will be exposed here. Leading the line you then have the guy who scored more goals per game he played in than any other footballer in the history of the sport, Fernando Peyroteo!

Already it sounds like a very solid goal filled attack that should have possesion thanks to a strong midfield but thats before even mentioning that the former best player in the world now back at his peak Kaka would be coming through the center as both a creative and goal threat.

good luck man

Blatter
    My Defense vs His Attack

Similar to Eto'o in the last round Falcao this time leads the line for my opponent without a second striker as far forward as him and although he is a good player, Falcao vs B.Moore before you even consider i've a 2nd CB to deal with may not be considerd a fair fight by many. A man considerd to be one of the greatest defenders of all time should be considered Falcao's equal and give his CB partner a lot of freedom to assist the WBs and DMs deal with Blatters other threats.

His most forward players apart from Falcao are Rivaldo & Bergkamp who again while being top players almost play into my teams defensive formation. As Rivaldo has to deal with his country man N.Santos who is oft considered the best LB of all time while Bergkamp dropping back into the hole mean not only does he have to contend with Mats Hummels but also Dunga and he will find his time on the ball to create for the tightly marked men ahead of him severly limited.

His best player is arguably Zinidine Zidane but I think it's Zizou's selection that has prompted this lobsided formation and in doing so has helped me. Once again I face a threat on the left of midfield unlikely to pin Zambrotta back as Zidane is more of a LM likely to drift inside here and in doing so he will find himself in a very congested midfield and being watched closely by the tenacious Dunga and potentially his compatriot Viera who will have dual defensive and offensive responsibilities.

If somehow Blatter's side still find a way to get the occasional chance despite all this they still have to contend with Gordon Banks in goals. He showed how difficult it would be to beat him in his and their prime against players like Pele, Falcao and co will find it tough.

My Attack vs his defense

My front four = goals, no matter how good the defenders if they have any weaknesses to exploit it would be near impossible to keep a clean sheet. Similarily to me last match i'd also think that when not defending Zambrotta who is well used to getting up the wings would not be pinned back considering Blatters formation. Again this sees my side with an extra option in attack and another outlet to start attacks. Given Blatters formation Cole may also be expected to get forward and provide width on the left for Blatters team and this could leave gaps behind him especially if Zambrotta is allowed get forward. However a WB would not be the only way to exploit these gaps and who better to do so than argueably the greatest player of all time in Lionel Messi.

Any player from any era would struggle to handle Messi and he would not only exploit any gaps Col might leave but would also create gaps ahead of him by drawing the CBs to him. Perhaps a good pair of CBs could deal with such a huge threat as Messi breaking through from the right if they didnt have the same fear from the left side of my attack. However with goalscoring madrid legend and the man oft found topping all time LW lists Francisco Gento up against D.Irwin they may be getting pulled to both sides and leaving gaps in the center. No disrespect to Irwin, he is an Irish & Man Utd great but despite his capability to play RB I think everyone considers Irwin to be a LB first and foremost and although he might do alright at RB most of the time against one of the greatest ever in an AML position he could really struggle and would most likely also find himself pinned back and offering little in an offensive sense. He could even like A.Cole find himself having to deal with both Gento & N.Santos who can get forward to devestating effect (although he will mostly stay defensive).

at CB he's got Thiago Silva who is one of the best current CBs going but against all time greats he could struggle infact the selection of all the modern CBs including him, my own & Kompany have been criticised and he would need a top CB partner just to be able to handle my CF let alone the threats already highlighted from the wings and still to come from AM. He has Paul McGrath, hard one for me here as The Black Pearl was my favourite player growing up, he is a Villa (God) & Ireland legend but as people were asking in your last match do we look at him with rose tinted glasses? Fergie didn't accommodate his talent, but I dont want to try and run down Paul but will say both he and Silva would have to be on the top of their game not to struggle against the may who scored more goals per game than anyone else ever in the form of Fernando Peyroteo especially if being pulled out of position by Messi & Gento.

On top of all that they would also have to deal with they would also have to deal with former best player on the planet now back on form with my side Kaka centrally and although he also has a DM he would be struggling especially when you then add in the strength and determination of Viera surging forward assisting the more creative and goalscoring threats of Kaka, Gento, Messi & Peyroteo

Overall

An opposing side with one man up top (and not one of the drafts best) plays into my teams strengths and weaknesses. It allows Bobby Moore to take the lead and my argueably more traget-able CB to have less responsibilities.

Having one RWF & one LM who likes to drift inside also does the same as my LB is considerd one of the best ever and my RB is well capable of getting forward if allowed space.

Having your second forward employed as a creative player dropping deep also plays into me having a specialized DM on my team and could lead to your AMC area getting quote congested.

A LB expected to provide width to a side only leaves gaps for player the quality of Messi, while a RB known more so as a LB would struggle against one of the best LWs of all time.

Even if your DM could nulify Kaka which I would argue against your defense would still have to deal with much more of an attacking threat from CF & WF positions than mine would and your defense would struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Best of luck to BH.

Anyway, my side:

abEV9hValY.jpg

van der Sar: Not much needs to be said about him, everyone will know about him. Just an incredibly consistent goalkeeper with no real weaknesses.

Ashley Cole: The best left back in the world for as number of years in his prime. Quick, solid defender and very good going forward. He'll help give the team more natural width.

Thiago Silva: Again, most people would be aware of him today. IMO the best defender in the world over the last couple of years. Strong, fast, good in the air, intelligent and superb with the ball at his feet.

Paul McGrath: Ian Rush once said ''People talk about the lack of goals I scored against Man Utd and the reason for that was Paul McGrath, he was just too good.'' That's everything you need to know about the man.

Denis Irwin: As solid as a rock and two great feet. An outstanding fullback that is equally comfortable on either side.

Fernando Redondo: Excellent passer with incredible vision and very good in the tackle. His sense of positioning was as good as it comes. Deceptively quick and strong.

Johan Neeskens: One of the all time great central midfield players. His role in the great Dutch team of the 70s is very much appreciated. He is well regarded as a complete CM player, great both defensively and offensively. Miguel Delaney of the Independent rates him as the 19th greatest ever player.

Zidane: Three time world player of the year, he was just a magician. Not much needs to be said as most will know all about him.

Rivaldo: Apart from a right foot, Rivaldo had everything. His wiry strength allowed him to bounce off defenders, he was an outstanding dribbler, and he had a left foot that was both educated and thuggish, subtle and a sledgehammer.

Dennis Bergkamp: Think Dimitar Berbatov but just an awful lot better. A brilliant link up player and had one of the deftest touches the footballing world has ever seen.

Radamel Falcao: One of the greatest finishers I've ever seen. As most will know, he can score from almost any position and no matter how difficult it seems. One of the most prolific number 9s in the world over the last few years.

An overview: All of my defence has great technical ability and it is quite pacey overall, so this will enable them to play a high line. Irwin and Cole will provide good width.

Zidane will drift in from the left and be the instigator of the team. Rivaldo will mostly cut inside to use his wand of a left foot. Neeskens and Redondo will both provide very good protection to the back 4 as well as giving excellent supply to Zidane/Bergkamp/Rivaldo.

Bergkamp will link up with all those around him and run in behind Falcao on the odd occasion. Falcao himself will absolutely thrive on all the service as well as being able to link up very well himself.

Just a few things:

- I think Hummels is a real weak point in your team, and I disagree with comparisons between him and Thiago Silva, as I said before for me, Silva is on a different level.

- I would wager SAF left McGrath go for reasons other than his ability. It was well known he was fond of the booze and SAF wanted to end that culture at the club. He said before about McGrath:

"He was an exceptionally skilful and stylish defender, with marvellous innate athleticism, a man whose abilities stood comparison with any central defender in the game."

- I think Messi is wasted out wide. IMO he has to be employed as a false no. 9 to get the best out of him. I have do doubt he'll be dangerous in the position he's in, but just nowhere near as he can be.

I'll write a bit more when I have the time later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Blatter
    I'll have to vote for bounty hunter, blatter not having any wingers in a real weakness imo, vieira and dunga can just sit in front of the defense and eat up all the space to stop blats team playing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I honestly can't see anyone beating Blatter's team. The spine of Silva, McGrath, Redondo and the triumverate of Zidane-Bergkamp-Rivaldo is impenetrable.

There was no-one getting the ball off Rivaldo at his peak.

Blatter
    Blatter wrote: »
    Just a few things:

- I think Messi is wasted out wide. IMO he has to be employed as a false no. 9 to get the best out of him. I have do doubt he'll be dangerous in the position he's in, but just nowhere near as he can be.

Could say the same about Zidane tbh, both very comfortable and quality in the positions they will line out in but arguably your best player should have a more influential role in your side and start centrally. Instead he will be as you said having to drift inside if he wants to be your "Instigator" and in doing so could find himself congesting the central area even more (and narrowing your play) and play into the way my team is set up as Orange2 highlighted.

My team is perhaps less dependant on Messi though as the attacking threat of Gento, Kaka, and Peyroteo is formidable on its own and yet the worlds best player, in a position he is great in (even if he may be better as a false 9) makes it even more so and a real nightmare for your defense, more so than your attack would be for my defense imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Blatter
    viera dunga to close this out for bh

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

Blatter
    I voted for Bounty Hunter. I don't like the Zidane/Bergkamp/Rivaldo line, doesn't look balanced. All want to stay or drift inside and none of them are natural right-wingers (though I do remember Rivaldo swapping with Figo from time to time).

I would love to see the midfield battle between those four. All incredible players who could battle and play.

Could say the same about Zidane tbh

Wouldn't say so, Zidane was often at his very best in that position.

Messi has only been a true great in the false no.9 position.

• Advertisement

Blatter
    A vote either way could make a massive difference here folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I've been delaying for a while not as I found it difficult to make up mind.

Ultimately I've gone for Blatter, and only just. I think where he nicks it for me, is that I think his attack will get a little more change from Bounty Hunter's defence than visa versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Blatter
    dont think the service the 3 lads are gonna produce will be the best fit for falcao, sure they are all great players but the synergy isnt the same as bhs side, kaka playing them in and movement, messi driftin in and gento is the best crosser on the park, isnt he?

any true width for blatter would have to come from cole and irwin due to the 3 ams all being pretty inclined to a central area, either his attack would be very narrow or his defence is left open to counters, especially with no sitting midfielder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Both midfields are littered with really strong players, but I'd have to go with Bounty Hunter on this. More balanced attacks with comfortable wingers in Messi and Gento and just strong in all area's of attack. Blatter's narrowness would be a problem imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Blatter
    Oh that's a tight one .

Blatter
    Congrats to Blatter who by 1 vote makes it to the semi-final ahead of myself. Might have had more people say they would vote for me on thread but i guess Blatter edged the overall consensus.

Advertisement