Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Broadband speeds in Clare (Help)

• 21-06-2013 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone around these areas tell me what kind of speed you're getting on DSL enabled lines in the following areas be it Eircom/Vodafone etc
    Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Sixmilebridge
    Newmarket on fergus
    Tulla
    Quinn
    Clarecastle (not sure if they're Fibre yet ?)
    Cratloe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi,

Can anyone around these areas tell me what kind of speed you're getting on DSL enabled lines in the following areas be it Eircom/Vodafone etc
    Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Sixmilebridge
    Newmarket on fergus
    Tulla
    Quinn
    Clarecastle (not sure if they're Fibre yet ?)
    Cratloe

Newmarket is not on the Fibre list as far as I know, but TheBridge is, although work might not have commenced yet.

Are you looking for speeds within the villages or outside them?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭travispickle8

Thanks, I'm just looking to see what average speeds are like in those areas preferably rural and away from housing estates, I heard that newmarket are on the NGB exchange so I'd expect the speeds to be quite decent but not sure on the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Sixmilebridge
    Newmarket on Fergus
    Clarecastle

are all NGB connected ...... which means the exchange itself is connected via fibre to the fibre backbone.

Newmarket is not listed for NGA ...... which is where fibre cabinets are placed away from the exchange thus bringing fibre closer to the end user.
    Anyone within 1Km of such a cabinet can get the new 'fibre' connection and thus quite reasonable broadband speeds.

Of course speed is dependent on the quality of the line as well as distance, so old copper will not be as good as fairly new lines.

At about 3Kms from the exchange (Newmarket) with no fibre cabs, a d/load speed of 4Mb/s is obtainable, and maybe more ..... again line quality dependent.
    Presumably they will offer those within 1Km of the exchange, a 'fibre' connection at some point in the future ..... but I have not read of anything yet.

The Bridge will be getting fibre cabs (NGA) but that is most likely end of year or even next year.

Clarecastle should be done earlier.

There is a lot of info on this section of boards
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259

I know I looked at a map showing NGB connected locations & proposed NGA connected locations.
    There is an NGA map here
    http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-access

EDIT: Clarecastle and The Bridge seem to have been moved into phase 3 (were phase 5 IIRC) for fibre cab roll-out.

The others do not appear to get a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭travispickle8

thanks mate, great info there,

Advertisement