Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canine Elbow protectors

• 21-06-2013 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a bit of help tracking down elbow protection for 14 year old German Shepard cross. She has decubital ulcers and chews dressings off almost instantly so she is left with a cone (of shame!) on.

She struggles with walking at the best of times so the cone is a huge disadvantage for her, we want her last while to be as easy as possible so no cone if we can help it. Our vet told us about protectors like the ones at this website http://www.canineangelsinc.com

Emailed them a few times but no reply. Just wondered if anyone knew of a supplier in Ireland or EU or anyone else had any luck getting similar. Doesn't seem to be much to them but if they work it would get rid of the cone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

TBH I'd try and make some myself before forking out for some? You say she pulls off the dressings so she may pull/bite off the protectors? My dog learnt the leave it command when he was 4-5 months old and it was a god send! He had to have operations on his legs so had loads of dressings and once or twice he did so that might be an option especially with a clever dog like a GSD :)
    How about cutting the ends off some socks? Or would a kong cloud stop her from reaching her elbows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

tk123 wrote: »
    TBH I'd try and make some myself before forking out for some? You say she pulls off the dressings so she may pull/bite off the protectors? My dog learnt the leave it command when he was 4-5 months old and it was a god send! He had to have operations on his legs so had loads of dressings and once or twice he did so that might be an option especially with a clever dog like a GSD :)
    How about cutting the ends off some socks? Or would a kong cloud stop her from reaching her elbows?

That cloud thing looks a brilliant idea, definitely worth a punt, might try the sock idea too, nothing ventured, nothing gained, thanks. Might try and get some paediatric tubi-grip type stuff. Our old girl is in the old dog/new tricks category now, and tbh we don't want to stress her out.

We would rather not have to pay out silly money for a solution but at the same time she has been a great dog for so many years we don't want her last months to be miserable.

That cloud thing looks a brilliant idea, definitely worth a punt, might try the sock idea too, nothing ventured, nothing gained, thanks. Might try and get some paediatric tubi-grip type stuff. Our old girl is in the old dog/new tricks category now, and tbh we don't want to stress her out.

We would rather not have to pay out silly money for a solution but at the same time she has been a great dog for so many years we don't want her last months to be miserable.

Vetuk/medicanimal sell veterinary bandages etc so you might be able to pick up what you need cheap enough! ;) Keep an eye out for Lidl specials - they have bandages and vet wrap (well the same as vet wrap with a different name lol) for cheap enough too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

That cloud thing looks a brilliant idea, definitely worth a punt,

They are fab! I'd think it'd work well to stop her reaching her elbows. they are wayyyy more comfortable than the Cone of Shame, the dog can do pretty much everything she normally does without the damn cone getting in the way. If you don't fill them very full of air, most dogs end up using them as a pillow :o
    There are a few different brands of these inflatable collars, some better quality than others, but I'd imagine the Kong one is top class.

DBB wrote: »
    They are fab! I'd think it'd work well to stop her reaching her elbows. they are wayyyy more comfortable than the Cone of Shame, the dog can do pretty much everything she normally does without the damn cone getting in the way. If you don't fill them very full of air, most dogs end up using them as a pillow :o
    There are a few different brands of these inflatable collars, some better quality than others, but I'd imagine the Kong one is top class.

I'm glad I asked here now, couple of great ideas, definitely going to order a inflatable collar if my local petshop doesn't have one. My daughter is already rooting through her socks to see which ones she is going to sacrifice!

• Advertisement

I'm glad I asked here now, couple of great ideas, definitely going to order a inflatable collar if my local petshop doesn't have one. My daughter is already rooting through her socks to see which ones she is going to sacrifice!

Lol!
    I've only seen the inflatable collars in PetStop Superstore, good quality ones too. They may have them in Maxizoo too, worth a look. Otherwise you'll get them online. A GSD-sized dog is going to need a large one:)

Positive Dog Training stock the clouds afaik?

Positive Dog Training stock the clouds afaik?

Dublin is a bit of a jaunt for me, will probably end up getting it sent from the link you posted up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Maybe talk to these guys, they are based in Waterford, and make dog boots and leg protectors for people all over the world I think.

http://dogbootsactive.com/dogpag/support.htm

muddypaws wrote: »
    Maybe talk to these guys, they are based in Waterford, and make dog boots and leg protectors for people all over the world I think.

http://dogbootsactive.com/dogpag/support.htm

Thanks for that, will bear them in mind. Nothing on their website for the type of protectors I am after, but will email them if I don't have any luck with plan A and B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Thanks for that, will bear them in mind. Nothing on their website for the type of protectors I am after, but will email them if I don't have any luck with plan A and B

You Could Also try getting
    A Second hand or dunnes /lild/also wetsuit & using The neoprene & some
    Wrap around Velcro To Make your own . Don't use old
    Rubber
    Wetsuits thou - use the neoprene
    Ones - breathable & porus and dries out well.

My dog is VERY persistent in getting
    Bandages off and is super bendy
    So can Work around The Cone.
    My vet gave me a
    Few Rolls of the double Sided sticky elastic external bandge - it sticks to itself without tape whe n you put. It on/wrap it around a bandage of stitches. Does the trick Perfectly. My vet sells it too - I think PetMania does too- I'm sure I saw it there recently.

Poor Awl dog! At least he's still got the " go" in him!!!

You Could Also try getting
    A Second hand or dunnes /lild/also wetsuit & using The neoprene & some
    Wrap around Velcro To Make your own . Don't use old
    Rubber
    Wetsuits thou - use the neoprene
    Ones - breathable & porus and dries out well.

My dog is VERY persistent in getting
    Bandages off and is super bendy
    So can Work around The Cone.
    My vet gave me a
    Few Rolls of the double Sided sticky elastic external bandge - it sticks to itself without tape whe n you put. It on/wrap it around a bandage of stitches. Does the trick Perfectly. My vet sells it too - I think PetMania does too- I'm sure I saw it there recently.

Poor Awl dog! At least he's still got the " go" in him!!!

Stick around bandage another good idea, and neoprene might work well as sock idea 2.0 cheers. All the options I have had here combined would be cheaper than my original idea and probably better.

That's great timing, very cheap too. Here is our prototype number 1

2013-06-22131536_zpse0aaac37.jpg

Brilliant! Well done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭morton

Nice job with the bandages !

If you can't get hold of a kong cloud, just use one of those inflatable neck pillows you'd use on a plane. That's what I used, when my jack russell had an eye operation, and wouldn't tolerate a cone. I secured it with a safety pin, and she managed to get around and slept soundly with it on (she doesn't look happy in this photo though!)

Oh dear lord op.
    She. Is. Divine.

:-)

Morton, you're right, your little lady looks less than impressed in that photo! Still, nice bit of innovation on your part too!

morton wrote: »
    Nice job with the bandages !

If you can't get hold of a kong cloud, just use one of those inflatable neck pillows you'd use on a plane. That's what I used, when my jack russell had an eye operation, and wouldn't tolerate a cone. I secured it with a safety pin, and she managed to get around and slept soundly with it on (she doesn't look happy in this photo though!)

Good idea, your lovely Jack Russell looks like she is going for the Elizabethan ruffle look. Very cool!

Advertisement