Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

24 lessons ?

Options
  • 21-06-2013 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm currently studying for the theory test.
    Been looking into lessons also for later on.

My friend told me there is 12 lessons in the book
    but for each lesson "slot" one must do 2 practical lessons.

so that means i have to do 24 lessons in total.
    (so total cost = 24 x €30 p/lesson = €720)

Is this true?
    or is it only 12 lessons i have to do? (€360)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

I thought it was 12... I'm not gonna be happy if its 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

It is 12 ADI lessons
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Driver-Training/Car-Training-EDT/An-Introduction-to-EDT/

There are slots in the log book for your (unpaid) sponsor but yes the sample is a little confusing at it has 2 pages to be signed off for each lesson:confused:
    Error perhaps?
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Driver-Training/Car-Training-EDT/Your-Logbook/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 57 ✭✭DaveyDriving

wil wrote: »
    It is 12 ADI lessons
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Driver-Training/Car-Training-EDT/An-Introduction-to-EDT/

There are slots in the log book for your (unpaid) sponsor but yes the sample is a little confusing at it has 2 pages to be signed off for each lesson:confused:
    Error perhaps?
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Driver-Training/Car-Training-EDT/Your-Logbook/

The legal requirement is 12 lessons but depending on your progress you may need more . The recommendation is that you do 3 hrs practise with your sponsor between lessons with your ADI if you do this it will greatly reduce the need to do extra lessons with the instructor . Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭danielgalway

ok thanks just wasnt 100% sure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Theoretical question following that last reply,
    if an ADI thought a learner was not proficient enough at any lesson, can they refuse to sign off on that lesson, or is the requirement simply taking the lesson?
    And after learner has taken last of 12 lessons, can an ADI prevent a learner from taking a test if they feel they dont meet any standard.
    Is there any onus on the ADI or do they have any official control as to when their learner can take a test.

If failure rates were high, would it not be useful to feed that back down to instructors so that candidates would take more lessons before presenting, saving both the tester and their own time. Just a thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

wil wrote: »
    Theoretical question following that last reply,
    if an ADI thought a learner was not proficient enough at any lesson, can they refuse to sign off on that lesson, or is the requirement simply taking the lesson?
    No, they must sign/stamp, they have no legal right to refuse
    And after learner has taken last of 12 lessons, can an ADI prevent a learner from taking a test if they feel they dont meet any standard.
    No
    Is there any onus on the ADI or do they have any official control as to when their learner can take a test.
    No

If failure rates were high, would it not be useful to feed that back down to instructors so that candidates would take more lessons before presenting, saving both the tester and their own time. Just a thought.

Very good idea but would some instructors not use it as an excuse to squeeze more lessons from their pupils ?. And some instructors are simply not qualified to judge, look at all the people who have posted on here saying they passed their "pretests" but failed the real test.

Hi,

The legal requirement is simply to complete the lesson. AND the only requirement to proceed to a another lesson is that the previous lessons have been completed. For example to "do" lesson Five it is only necessary to have completed the previous four lessons.

When the EDT was first launched it was left to the discretion of the ADI whither he stamped the lesson or not.

(3) A person undergoing lessons 1 to 8 of Essential Driver Training for Car Drivers is not entitled to progress to the next lesson or any subsequent lesson of the course unless he or she has demonstrated the necessary knowledge and ability for the procedures and processes of the proceeding lesson of the course to the satisfaction of the instructor.

But very quickly this was changed to
    (3) A person may only undergo each of lessons 2 to 8 of Essential Driver Training for Car Drivers if he or she holds a logbook issued to him or her on which an instructor has signed and stamped the pages relating to the immediately preceding lesson as set out in the Schedule.

(3A) A person may only undergo any of lessons 9 to 12 of Essential Driver Training for Car Drivers if he or she holds a logbook issued to him or her on which an instructor has signed and stamped the pages relating to lesson 8.”.

My belief, there are two possible reasons this was changed.

1. The politicians suddenly realised that they had legislated not for 12 compulsory lessons but for twelve plus a unspecified extra number - depending on the ADI.

or

2. When the EDT was launched, the RSA went on a nationwide tour to explain its workings to ADIs . When they actually met the instructors who would be implementing the scheme they quickly realised that some of the instructors would hold their pupils to ransom, so they changed the law.

The law is twelve one hour lessons by an ADI. The ADI can (and should) recommend practice and/or more lessons but they have no legal right to enforce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

J_R wrote: »
    1. The politicians suddenly realised that they had legislated not for 12 compulsory lessons but for twelve plus a unspecified extra number - depending on the ADI.

or

2. When the EDT was launched, the RSA went on a nationwide tour to explain its workings to ADIs . When they actually met the instructors who would be implementing the scheme they quickly realised that some of the instructors would hold their pupils to ransom, so they changed the law.

The law is twelve one hour lessons by an ADI. The ADI can (and should) recommend practice and/or more lessons but they have no legal right to enforce
    I'd go with two. My original adi when I was a learner back in November gave me some rubbish about having to pass lessons after lesson 2. I left confused when he said I'd need to buy more lessons if "I failed to make satisfactory progress". I came back in lesson 3 and stated that I'd read the ADI is not a tester and must stamp the book if I ask for it and complete the lesson.

He gave me more spile about how if i failed my driving test and it was found out more of his students were failing the driving test for the same reasons he'd be investigated. I asked did he see this as a reason for me to fork out an extra €30 when he saw fit. He had no reply. I switched instructor shortly after. Bloody chancer!

Advertisement