Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kids screaming in supermarkets - is it reaching breaking point?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

I know a child who was gentle and well behaved until the age of four, at which point he was sexually assaulted.

His behaviour changed radically. Rude, angry, obnoxious, constant acting out.

Don't judge because chances are you haven't got a notion of what is going in someone's life. And you'll feel pretty damned stupid when you find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I know a child who was gentle and well behaved until the age of four, at which point he was sexually assaulted.

Don't judge because chances are you haven't got a notion of what is going in someone's life. And you'll feel pretty damned stupid when you find out.

Everyone judges thats human nature thats how we survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I'll be honest, I've never felt stupid for judging people who failed to set a good example for children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It dosn't happen in third world countries, nor in civilised European cities. Society has rules & norms that are
    Acceptable and unacceptable. But I suppose it's A Bit Like the scangers out in pyjamas. Everyone Can see it except them And their ilk.

What a crock of sh1t. I'm just back from northern Italy and I witnessed more than a couple of tantrums from kids were definitely not from Ireland. I remember one of them was Italian and the tantrum was by the lake side. Another was in a tiny supermarket (don't know nationality...possibly German from what little the parent said as she was ignoring the kid at check out). Happens a lot when i'm in spain too. Mostly british kids where I stay, but some Swedish pockets. Oh....and that brings me to my nephew, who lived in Sweden (Swedish mother) until he was almost 4 and MY GOD could he throw a tantrum in a supermarket. When I visited there, I was mortified for my brother and I had 2 kids already by then.

This is Just A Thought i'm having, but maybe you're simply tuned out when abroad?

Anyway, that's all I will be saying on the subject. Some people have fair points on both sides, while others are just mind numbingly thick, or ignorant. At the end of the day, a boards thread aint gonna change the fact that kids will throw tantrums and it wont always happen behind closed doors for other peoples convenience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I've never felt stupid for judging people who failed to set a good example for children.

Yes but you can't be sure that its about modelling when you don't know them. My point is that if its a case of random strangers you just don't know what is going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭BQQ

Is she though? It seems you can't even go shopping any time of the day now without being subjected to this crap. Anyone around in the 80's remember was it as bad?

I was around in the 80s and it wasn't just as bad, it was worse.
    It's something I rarely see these days, but back in the good old days it was standard stuff in any supermarket.
    It was also exacerbated by the default response of parents back then, which was to smack the sh!t out of them making the screams louder and more sustained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

It can be annoying alright, I think we should just force people with kids to move to connaught.

Picture this on the posters, "To hell or to Connaught!!".

Kind of catchy eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Parents just pander to their little brats every whim. There's a lot of dont damage their self esteem. "You're so bold" is now "smacking your friend in the face with your hurl wasn't a nice thing to do".

It doesn't help that a lot of parents are self entitled, why can't they bring their bold children to restaurants or supermarkets or wherever else they bring them to and cause a scene? And god forbid you give out because "they're only kids". Naughty little shyts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I go to superquinn OP - way more expensive so i don't have to mix with the lower classes. Just me, the yummy mummies and a few pensioners to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Supermarkets don't bother me too much because I can move to another area if a kid starts bawling.

It is annoying in a resturant though if they are running around the place and being noisy.

• Advertisement

Yes but you can't be sure that its about modelling when you don't know them. My point is that if its a case of random strangers you just don't know what is going on.

You can usually have a fair idea though! The difference between a parent or a person who cares about a child, and a parent or a person who doesn't give a shìte about a child is usually fairly obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

It dosn't happen in third world countries, nor in civilised European cities. Society has rules & norms that are
    Acceptable and unacceptable. But I suppose it's A Bit Like the scangers out in pyjamas. Everyone Can see it except them And their ilk.
    This ad originated in Germany as far as I know:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Chucken wrote: »
    So...tell us how you would deal with a tantrum?

How about picking your child up and taking them home? This gives the kids a big shock - if they are having a tantrum or misbehaving take them home. You only need to do it once or twice and they get it.

On the other hand if you are meeting these kids in the supermarket in the evening chances are they have had a long day in the minders and they are on their way home, possibly hungry. Is it any wonder they are kicking up? Kids shouldn't be taken for a grocery shop after a long day - it's a form of torture for them.

BQQ wrote: »
    I was around in the 80s and it wasn't just as bad, it was worse.
    It's something I rarely see these days, but back in the good old days it was standard stuff in any supermarket.
    It was also exacerbated by the default response of parents back then, which was to smack the sh!t out of them making the screams louder and more sustained.

That still goes on. I've seen numerous examples of it. I would think it unusual if someone could say they hadn't seen at least one example of it nowadays, such as the mother who pucked the head off her small boy because he was lagging behind her in the store, or every morning on the bus I get to work there's a woman with her three young children, and the abuse she gives them, no idea of how to behave in public herself, so her children will grow up with no idea of how to behave in public, unless they are influenced by a person or people who teach them how to behave in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭niallo76

i encourage my two kids to start yelling and throwing ****e all over the place in supermarkets-especially when we see 30 year old shopping with their mothers.i revel in their disapproving looks and the old eyes-rolling- in- the- head-or the best ever-just the shaking of the heads and muttering under their breathes-i loves it.
    See ya down there lads

This ad originated in Germany as far as I know

Took me a bit to find this one :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

I did this one time well I didnt get on the ground got wierd looks and a few giggles but it stopped my sons "little" tantrum hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

how come i have never experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

Aaaand at the end she leaves that bag of crisps right were her brat threw it. For staff to pick up. Why of course, they are paid to do that job.
    They did not show but before that he probably smashed something or other, crushed chocolate / cookies in the packet, pierced few films on potato mash with his finger, oh oh and she fed him a tub of yoghurt and left it on a shelve. I'm sure she listed all that damage to the cashier and paid for it there and then.
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

They did not show but before that he probably smashed something or other, crushed chocolate / cookies in the packet, pierced few films on potato mash with his finger
    He probably didn't, because it's an ad and not real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

He probably didn't, because it's an ad and not real.

:confused: I'm a bit slow understanding sarcasm tonight. Please tell me you were joking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Doras? They really are the worst if they named their kid 'door'

That kid's going to grow up a bit of a knob, I fear...

Aglomerado wrote: »
    That kid's going to grow up a bit of a knob, I fear...

At least he should fare better in life than a child called "fuinneog" - at least for doras when one door closes another one opens, but for fuinneog, well, a window of opportunity won't open by itself! :D

Too early for that shìt this hour of the morning! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

You dont have kids so you dont understand what its like.
    Check.

You mst have something to understand it, so most of us cant complain about a song because we arent in a band.
    They are just being kids and dont know any better.
    Check.

Sure he's just taking stuff from the shelves and throwing it around making a mess, he doesnt know any better!
    The parent shouldnt be expected to parent and make sure their child is being a pain in the ass to everyone else.
    Check.

Could take the time and teach a child to talk using words (not the noises that sound a bit like a word but only the parents can understand). There, now they have a method of communication that isnt screaming. Too young for that? Maybe you should think twice about dragging a screaming bored child with you.
    If they have a problem with it they can go elsewhere
    And check

Some area is full of junkies, of well, I shouldnt complain about it, I'll just take a different road.

BINGO! I won "AH Negative Topic about Children Bingo"
    Nothing against you personally shruikan, but I hate that sort of bullshìt perspective with a passion! We were all children once yknow, and we all have relations who have children. I have a child myself and he doesn't act like a ferral, indisciplined little prick with no manners or social skills when I take him shopping with me, but rather he'll push the trolley and do the shopping and all I have to do is follow around after him.

There's a thing called teaching your children to be responsible, and unfortunately there's but a small minority of parents are of the school of thought that says "ah shure they're just kids!".

They are, and it's an adult's job to act as their role model and teach them how to behave, not just let them treat the supermarket like it's their own personal playground and make excuses for them after the fact.

I agree completely, my girlfriends aunt took the time to teach her 2 year old child to talk properly and now instead of screaming she just says what she wants. You can train a dog to stop barking at cars or people but its beyond the intelligence of a child according to some people who think that because they have children that everyone else is the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Too young for that? Maybe you should think twice about dragging a screaming bored child with you.

For many that isn't an option. I have no family in Dublin and cannot afford a babysitter, so I have to take my child EVERYWHERE with me. Is that other people's problems, no, but it is not mine either.
    You can train a dog to stop barking at cars or people but its beyond the intelligence of a child according to some people who think that because they have children that everyone else is the problem.
    Indeed, you can train a dog, and you can train/teach a child, but it takes time, and to teach a child to behave in public, you bring it in public. The more you do it, the more it will learn what social etiquette is. The first few times are hell, but after that, if the parent perseveres, they get better and better.

Advertisement