Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

just ordered car insurance but done for drink driving

• 21-06-2013 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi I am asking this for a friend of a friend.. My next door neighbour just informed me her fellow has rung up and got Insurance for his car but he was done for drink driving back in November and is awaiting a court summons.

He received his package with all the terms & conditions, on the terms and conditions it asks has he any convictions pending now he is wanting to cancel his policy and wants to know if it is possible to get his full payment back.

He thought it would be ok to get insured for another year as at times it takes over a year before you go to court for this.

Can anyone shed some light on this.. He is so embarrassed about the whole thing, he was done the next morning leaving a friend home after a night out..

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

He might forfeit a small amount but if he cancels the policy now he should get most of the money back.

Edit: actually, how long ago did he take out the policy? I think (although I might be wrong) that insurance policies have a two week cooling off period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Is it not in the T&C of the insurance how much he'll get back if he cancels now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

You Jane a 14 days cooling off period

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭rionn

He has went over the terms & conditions on policy he received today but there is nothing saying anything about cancelling policy. When he rings tomoro should he just be straight with them and tell them he was done for drink driving or say something else. Just he is worried if he tells them he was done for drink driving and he gets of with it in court his next policy will go threw the roof.. Thanks loads guys for taking the time to share your thoughts!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I don't see any reason to tell them why he cancelling to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

The Insurance policy is null and void if he didn't disclose any convictions pending so he will be refunded the whole amount regardless.

CoDy1 wrote: »
    The Insurance policy is null and void if he didn't disclose any convictions pending so he will be refunded the whole amount regardless.

If its null and void he may not be as he has broken the contract.

Just call them up and tell them the car is off the road and you are giving up driving and you want to cancel the contract. That's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

ba_barabus wrote: »
    If its null and void he may not be as he has broken the contract.

If an insurer "null" a policy then THEY cancel it back to inception. Treating it as if it never existed. Consequentially, no admin fees or any other deductions are permitted.

OP, can you identify the insurer concerned?

Irrespective, at the very least, he will lose out on the admin fee, generally around 30 to 50 euro.

MugMugs wrote: »
    If an insurer "null" a policy then THEY cancel it back to inception. Treating it as if it never existed. Consequentially, no admin fees or any other deductions are permitted. .

Didn't know that.

If the policy hasn't come into force yet can you still be charged the admin charge during the 14 day cooling off period?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Didn't know that.

If the policy hasn't come into force yet can you still be charged the admin charge during the 14 day cooling off period?

Couldn't hand on my heart say yes but I'd imagine so. It's a justifiable charge really. In a big insurer there are potentially 4 to 5 people involved in the inception of a policy. You'd imagine the company would want some part of that back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

MugMugs wrote: »
    Couldn't hand on my heart say yes but I'd imagine so. It's a justifiable charge really. In a big insurer there are potentially 4 to 5 people involved in the inception of a policy. You'd imagine the company would want some part of that back.

I think ive seen in policy documents that if you cancel within the first year you lose alt of money as the is a penalty scale and is not a pro rata refund.
    If within the cooling off period, availing of that would be the best option.

Advertisement