Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car buying advice

Options
  • 21-06-2013 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi everyone! Firstly apologies if this should be in a consumer advice forum

Secondly, I am on the look out for a newer car. My budget is about 25k. I've been looking at cars for the last few weeks and I'm gone dizzy looking at them tbh.

So any good suggestions for an automatic (I have an auto licence) and that's preferably a diesel?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

onzlo wrote: »
    Hi everyone! Firstly apologies if this should be in a consumer advice forum

Secondly, I am on the look out for a newer car. My budget is about 25k. I've been looking at cars for the last few weeks and I'm gone dizzy looking at them tbh.

So any good suggestions for an automatic (I have an auto licence) and that's preferably a diesel?

Might help to provide the following before people make suggestions:

Mileage covered per year
    What will you use the car for?
    Type of roads driven? I.e motorway/city driving/combo etc
    What you want from a car I.e. performance, frugality, space, comfort etc

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭onzlo

Mileage will be about 15k to 20k a year
    Most travelling will be commuting and done on motorways
    I'm more interested in frugality and comfort than performance, but I don't really want a slouch either :P and enough space for a collie sized dog to be comfortable in the boot I suppose :D

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Bmw F10 520d...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Bmw F10 520d...

Will the dog be comfortable in the boot if it's not an estate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

2.2. i-CDTi Honda Accord.

• Advertisement

I think a 5 series and an accord are a bit too much of a jump for me at the minute...Savage cars all the same :P

The superb is a nice car but its a bit big, I was thinking more golf or focus sized...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

• Advertisement

I drove the 1.6tdi version of the golf yesterday and loved it, it was powerful enough and comfortable enough for me so that's a strong contender :D the Astra is a fine looking bus as well, may find one closer to carlow to test drive. Anyone know how reliable both these cars engines, gearboxes and electrics are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Tiana000

I am a female in my 20s. Looking to buy a 2nd hand car for max. 3500.

I am considering VW polos as drive a VW golf plus and heard polos are reliable.

Also considering a Skoda Fabia or Ford Fiesta.

Any advice about these makes and models would be great. I won't be driving long distances, mostly town driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

was just browsing donedeal and saw this. Was looking at 520d autos and they started from 28/29k, probably wont be of interest given the above posts, but thought Id post anyway...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/bmw-5-series-520d-automatic/5080412

They're a fine car alright, but its just too much of a step up from a yaris at the minute.. Maybe in a few years lol.

@Eilsy as far as I know from a bit of googling:
    Polo: expensive, reliable, good resale
    Fabia: cheaper than a polo, just as reliable as they are essentially the same car,
    Not sure on the fiesta or the golf plus..

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

They're a fine car alright, but its just too much of a step up from a yaris at the minute.. Maybe in a few years lol.

Polo: expensive, reliable, good resale
    Fabia: cheaper than a polo, just as reliable as they are essentially the same car,
    Skoda have the Roomster or Yeti which seem to be good.

TBH I wouldn't touch a German make of car, or anything related to one, for politico-economic reasons.

Does one use their conscience when buying a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Polo: expensive, unreliable, good resale
    Fyp. For that poster's budget they would be looking at an early to mid 00's Polo MK4 which aren't the most reliable of cars. Timing chains snapping and other issues are all too common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Tiana000

Didn't know that Johnboy, thanks for posting

Oh, my apologies. Sorry about that Eilsy!

On another note that Hyundai i30 is a classy looking machine frankie, never seen one in person so I may definitely check it out, anyone got any experience with them? What are they like like to drive, are they comfortable, quite etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I drove the 1.6tdi version of the golf yesterday and loved it, it was powerful enough and comfortable enough for me so that's a strong contender :D the Astra is a fine looking bus as well, may find one closer to carlow to test drive. Anyone know how reliable both these cars engines, gearboxes and electrics are?

Much of a muchness. You will have the usual DPF problems if you dont do long spins very often but otherwise they should be fine. I would still find it hard to spend €25k on a 3 year old Golf as nice as the GTD is. The spec on that particular one is missing one or two key items like multi function steering wheel and a light upgrade but these will matter little to many.

• Advertisement

Much of a muchness. You will have the usual DPF problems if you dont do long spins very often but otherwise they should be fine. I would still find it hard to spend €25k on a 3 year old Golf as nice as the GTD is. The spec on that particular one is missing one or two key items like multi function steering wheel and a light upgrade but these will matter little to many.

Good to know, I doubt the DPF should be too much of a problem as I often drive to cork or Galway some weekends out of sheer boredom. I seen this on carzone, any good?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Volkswagen/Golf/HIGHLINE/34113642071902870/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Oh, my apologies. Sorry about that Eilsy!

On another note that Hyundai i30 is a classy looking machine frankie, never seen one in person so I may definitely check it out, anyone got any experience with them? What are they like like to drive, are they comfortable, quite etc...
    I haven't any experience with the new model I30, The older model I30 was a great car however.

Advertisement