Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Window Shopping - Rimfire

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Cass wrote: »
    Some good info there garv and the pictures really do help.

Quick question. What distance are you shooting at with them?

85 yards is what I had the target set up at in perfect conditions A brow of a hill was costing me 10 yards. A recrown made a huge difference to the accuracy of the rifle.
    A blue bottle landed on the page too over on the left.. I said shur why not and assumed I missed till I got down to the target and saw the wing on the page and guts around the hole :D I retired after that..
    2013-07-06190239_zps223dec68.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Ah jasus garv good shot. Lucky you went home because anything after that would be a disappointment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

That's some good shooting, and nice to see when you consider the .22lr would struggle to group like that at 85 or so yards.

Would you consider the Federal slightly better than the Hornady or at least more consistent?

Also what kind of drops are you experiencing? Whats your zero, and drop say closer to and further out from you.

My Annie is a tack driver. Even out to 100 yards i've no problem with what i'm aiming at. The drops are a killer. I use subs almost exclusively, and that is why the .17hmr appeals to me. Less drop .Windage i've no problem with, but would be interested to hear your opinions on the hmr's performance in windy conditions.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Cass wrote: »
    That's some good shooting, and nice to see when you consider the .22lr would struggle to group like that at 85 or so yards.

Would you consider the Federal slightly better than the Hornady or at least more consistent?

Also what kind of drops are you experiencing? Whats your zero, and drop say closer to and further out from you.

My Annie is a tack driver. Even out to 100 yards i've no problem with what i'm aiming at. The drops are a killer. I use subs almost exclusively, and that is why the .17hmr appeals to me. Less drop .Windage i've no problem with, but would be interested to hear your opinions on the hmr's performance in windy conditions.

My order of preferred ammo was feds, remys and then hornady. All 17gr and all killed well but thats the way they grouped so I used the tightest one, I used about 200 hornady aswel and an inch grouping at 100 was still good enough for hunting so I wouldnt consider them inconsistent. I found a lot of hornady split cases at the neck too. I had trouble with hornady 20gr not firing. maybe every 1 in 6 so that also put me off them but one of the lads will only use them in his 455.

I zero an inch high at 100 yards and its fairly point and pull from muzzle to 150 yards, I dont put enough bullets on paper at the minute at long range to judge wind and drop so Its rare I go over 150 yards with it unless its on a calm day.
    I aim nose height at a rabbit if its close and if its over 120 ill aim just under the ear and its always successful if I do my bit.

I always hear the stories about the hmr in wind being terrible and stuff but I think the reason people are saying this is because they're using it further out than the .22 and 22mag. Winchester released wind drift charts with the .17hmr, .17wsm and the .22wmr and showed the hmr to be much better than the wmr.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/files/2013/04/17-Winchester-Super-Magnum_003.jpg
    and if anything they'd be biased to their own calibres
    So Id imagine it would beat a .22 hands down too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

ronn wrote: »
    Aussie how do you find the .17 on foxes and rabbits,
    What sort of set up do you have,

You will have to excuse the "Tacticool" look (also the iPad camera, it ain't the best in artificial light), it's the last thing I was aiming for but with needed mods for my use that's how it ended up :(

Sako Quad .17hmr
    Zeiss Diavari 1,5-6X42
    Harris Swivel Bi-Pod

And a few things from http://kinneysshootingsupply.com/

: A proper Bolt Handle, because having big hands and a small plastic knob in the wet makes for a bit of slippage :pac:

: 0 MOA Picatinny Rail, opens up the use of a set of brilliant rings I had already, I may as well use them than look at them.

: Trigger Shoe, used to be more widely used years ago, the larger area makes the Trigger feel lighter on a heavy trigger and also makes it feel more comfortable, to Quote my Dad on this one "anyone who has a Hair Trigger on a Hunting Rifle is a Idiot" I do see his point to some extent.

image_zps3945d655.jpg

As for Rabbits/Crows I'm good out past the 150m mark.

Foxes, only gotten 2 with it both during daylight, longest shot at roughly 70m so no problem on either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Advanced Search
    Login | Register

.17HMR Review by Martin Clarkin
    Tuesday, July 12th, 2011
    The .17HMR (Hornady Magnum Rimfire) is by far the hottest rimfire round on the market today. Although many of you out there are loyal .22lr shooters where bunny’s , crows and various other vermin species are concerned, I have to say I once was too until I saw the potential of this lightning fast round. We all know the dangers of shooting be it shotgun or rifle , but especially shooting a rifle which has the potential of continuing through the countryside at tremendous speed long after you have taken the shot. One advantage that the .17HMR has over the .22 rimfire calibres is its sensitivity to the elements. This is not ideal in all situations I agree , but where ricochets are concerned this is a great round. If the bullet from the .17HMR so much as hit’s a blade of grass while on the way to a target it will expand and basically turn to dust in mid air. This is due to the fact that the bullet is so light at a mere 17g and the fact that its travelling between 2,550 and 2,650 feet per second. Compared to the .22lr with a standard weight of 38g and travelling at roughly half the speed of the .17HMR, it has the potential to pass straight through the target and continue on half a mile or more in a different direction.
    So at the end of the day I feel a lot safer shooting with the .17HMR because I know once it hits something its not going anywhere else, but please do not think this means you can ease up on safety and take riskier shots.

To view this article and many others with all the pictures etc visit. I Shoot and Fish July E-Zine

Advertisement