Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youtube and games?

• 21-06-2013 11:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

Is it relevant to your gaming lifestyle and do you buy games based on what you seen on youtube?

Do you watch videos of games you dont own....a lot?

Is youtube relevant to gaming? 104 votes

yes i watch games on youtube being played by others.
    0%
    No i never watch them.
    47%
    mewsoRopeDrinknesfJimquarrymanKilOitRichard DowerTomCoK.O.KikiRoyalMarinemikeruurdsCravezPushtrakgrizzlySeantheManr3nu4lDoctor DooMSierra OscarmailrewopMark Hamill 49 votes
    Yes i watch games being played that i dont own.
    17%
    super_furrySkerriesionapaulmcgovernelekidTar.Aldarion-=al=-Seanbassthorbarryxtal191Grim.Mr Bloatdreamers75obliviousgrudgeNapper HawkinsEathrinlandsleavingahnowbrowncow 18 votes
    ktulu
    25%
    RopeDrinknesfJimquarrymananimaaltoxofTomCoCravezPushtrakSierra OscarCaptain ChaosmailrewopMark Hamillcallaway92Potential-MonkeSgtBobVinLiegerNuri SahinNapper HawkinsDothehustle 27 votes
    Atari jaguar
    5%
    RopeDrinkdreamers75James74Napper HawkinsTij da feenLaviski 6 votes
    I "follow" certain people on youtube as their videos as informative.
    3%
    RopeDrinkPushtrakdeano546Napper Hawkins 4 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

No i never watch them.
    I like watching folks playing games I know well just to see how they approach it. Being a dyed in the wool PC gamer who prefers the rpg game over all else I like to watch people playing classic rpgs. It was a genuine eye opener for me to see the likes of Veriax playing stuff like Baldur's Gate with a more genuine role playing approach than me. i.e. I play rpgs as if it was me in the world wheras he might invent a character every time plays. It's also interesting to see people playing the evil angle in rpgs, something I can never bring myself to do.

*edit - as someone with a pathological dislike of consoles (no good reason really) I like to watch folks playing console games I know I will never play myself. I recently watched the Uncharted series on youtube out of curiosity and while I have no doubt whatsoever that they are great games to play I can't shake the feeling these are game made by guys who would rather be making movies. Again I acknowledge the difficulty of simply watching it rather than playing it but they do seem like taking the Tomb Raider mechanic and using it to make a movie you have to sit through.

Reading the Last of Us thread is interesting where people rave about the story and character development which as far as I can see you have no control over whatsoever. If I'm wrong fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I watch lets players and have discovered and bought games from prison architect to day z to endless space and anno 2070 etc due to them i know for a fact i would not have got them other wise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah i bought anno 2070 based on a few lets play videos i saw of it

then i played it for five hours and deleted it

some day I'll go back to it... some day, but sweet jesus that learning curve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

These days I watch video reviews and some gameplay videos of games I am considering buying. There have been games I have bought due to what has been available on Youtube - Minecraft alpha, Frozen Synapse, ARMA2, Killing Floor, SE: Nazi Zombie Army to name a few on PC. It is useful for getting an idea of the mechanics of the game and what multiplayer is like on a daily basis (except CoD).

I would not watch a game being played through. If I like the game, I will buy it someday and experience it myself first hand.

I would also watch a video guide for tips in a game now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I use YouTube for video reviews and I like EpicNameBro's Dark Souls videos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

No i never watch them.
    I used to watch a lot of Totalbiscuits WTF is .... if there was game I was looking to find out more about.
    I know some on here don't like him, it's besides the point.

I also use youtube for replays of games that I can't find elsewhere on sites like twitch etc
    (I watch countless hours of pro Starcraft 2) and of course I use youtube for game trailers , instead of having to filter through certain websites.

For comedy purposes also, the likes of Robbaz, Starcrafts and BF Friends are great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I enjoy making Let Play kinda stuff, but I don't really watch any. The closest I'd really get is looking for help and strategies in fighting games, or hunting down collectables in other titles. However, gaming is definitely a big part of my youtubing experience. In fact, it takes up most of my interest in youtibe. The likes of the Angry/Happy Video Game Nerds, Angry Joe, Johntron, Did You Know Gaming, Game Theory and Game Chasers are some of the regular things I'd watch. I've always got an eye out for more youtubers who will both entertain and educate me when it comes to video games.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

No i never watch them.
    I'd watch loads on youtube, sure even my own little channel is knocking on half a million views. There's pretty much an entire industry built upon gaming on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Atari jaguar
    Has anyone bought a game based from something they seen on youtube?

My kid is watching one of the above named youtubers play the last of us, i asked why doesnt he just play it instead, its defeating the purpose of having the game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

No i never watch them.
    If I'm interested in a game I will generally look up a let's play of it and hit the 6th or 7th video in to get a general sense of the game. Picked up many games that way and have never been let down.

I really like the WTF is... videos and TheEscapistMagazine's Zero Punctutation videos.

I've bought, off the top of my head, Dark Souls, Borderlands and Bioshock, most recently, from watching the odd video on youtube of some gameplay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭N64

I can't stand most people who do gaming videos on youtube. The big youtubers always tend to appeal to twelve year old kids and the like to maximize revenue. Youtubers who I have previously liked in the past have gone way downhill quality wise after they get partnered - It happened to every single one I liked :(

I do quite like watching some streamers on TwitchTV though. Its miles ahead of youtube :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I've watched a fair few unboxing vids of consoles/collectors editions(I know unboxing vids are a bit well,sad). I also like looking up retrospective vids of old games I never played or maybe the odd video guide to help me when i'm stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,709 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No i never watch them.

Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

If the OP means high quality video reviews by games channels (Rev3, IGN, GT etc) then yes. If he means let's plays or reviews by guys in front of a webcam holding up a copy of the game, then no!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,083 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No i never watch them.
    When did IGN start doing high quality reviews?

I watch a few channels for Let's Plays mainly if I've finished the game to see it from others' perspectives. I used youtube a few times for help with Shadow of the Colossus. Unfortunately, I was thinking of getting The Last of Us but youtube decided it was vital that I see a list of big spoilers defeating the point of buying the game.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

surely the act of playing the game is the point of buying it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Is it relevant to your gaming lifestyle and do you buy games based on what you seen on youtube?

Do you watch videos of games you dont own....a lot?

For me,
    Not really. As Sir Digby Chicken Caesar said above "surely the act of playing the game is the point of buying it"

I don't watch alot of youtube videos of new games I don't own as I don't want to ruin the experience for me. I just watch them for a few seconds to see if it's a game I would be interested in. But stop well at a certain point to not get spoiled.

I guess trailers and video games sites are still the marketing tool for the type of gamer I am. But on the flip side, I have no issue watching youtube videos of old games I may or may have not played.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,083 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

No i never watch them.
    surely the act of playing the game is the point of buying it

Yes, but my favourite games have always been those with strong stories as well. Obviously, gameplay takes priority but when the story is ruined, it dents my enthusiasm.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

ktulu
    I would usually have a quick browser around Youtube to get an idea of the gameplay style of a game before buying it. I am not all that trustworthy of official trailers and the likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Yes i watch games being played that i dont own.
    I always assume that at some point of my life I will be wealthy and free enough to get a chance to play every game ever made so I never watch videos of games because I don't want anything spoiled. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

None of those poll options really represent me. I don't personally watch any gaming channels regularly on Youtube (at least not ones with actual game footage unless I'm looking up a video review) but they're huge and have an undeniable impact. Both Sony and MS are making them part of their new consoles for crying out loud, how much more important do they have to get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭KilOit

No i never watch them.
    My god i just checked Pewdiepie! how the **** do people watch this garbage?! what an annoying tool.

I check out the usual's like totalbiscuit, yoggcast etc
    some smaller guys like Levelcap for BF and fps games are great, lot of great you-tubers out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

KilOit wrote: »
    My god i just checked Pewdiepie! how the **** do people watch this garbage?! what an annoying tool.

I check out the usual's like totalbiscuit, yoggcast etc
    some smaller guys like Levelcap for BF and fps games are great, lot of great you-tubers out there

I don't know how people like PewDiePie either. I don't see what's entertaining about someone making weird noises or, dare I be blunt, talk like someone who has some sort of mental issue going on.

I honestly thought he had down syndrome when I first came across his channel. Actually searched him up on google just to see what the story was. But turns out he is like the 4th most popular YouTube uploader. Now if he can make money ... geez surely anyone can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I don't know how people like PewDiePie either. I don't see what's entertaining about someone making weird noises or, dare I be blunt, talk like someone who has some sort of mental issue going on.

I honestly thought he had down syndrome when I first came across his channel. Actually searched him up on google just to see what the story was. But turns out he is like the 4th most popular YouTube uploader. Now if he can make money ... geez surely anyone can.

Well just remember that Fred was once the number one channel on Youtube. Although admittedly that wasn't as big a deal back then, now top Youtube channels have literally millions of subscribers.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭JyesusChrist

I started watching Youtube gamers and just recently got into making my own. As RopeDrink said it adds allot more longevity to the games you play.

This is my channel. I recommend the DayZ series if you are a fan of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/user/outoftoiletroll1/videos

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

No i never watch them.
    YouTube has helped me make a lot of choices in terms of games I want to buy vs games I actually buy.
    If it wasn't for YouTube (and mainly FrankonPCin1080p) I wouldn't have even looked at Arma II, and thus, never heard about DayZ.
    Big reason for me getting The Last of Us was watching the start of a play through for it, and think it was worth splashing out on.
    I've bought loads of Indie games because I watched some videos for them.
    On the flip side, I've decided against buying loads of games, saving me loads of money because of YouTubers. Would have happily bought TheWar Z at full price (Ended up buying 2 quid on sale) if I didn't search for some reviews.

I often find myself watching someones walk through series of a game after I've finished, just to see what I've missed.
    I always watch online gameplay for games for tactics, tips, and for just general entertainment. It's also a huge factor in me buying many of my games, as I know the story will be done quick enough.

*edit*
    I few years back, I was the typical Cod4 youtuber, making trick-shoot videos/montages. I've long since finished, but it was great craic making them too. I mixed it up the odd time with other games. Most of the videos got deleted for copyright or by me, but if anyone is interested, the other side of the video is also just as much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Is anyone else sick of Youtubers sticking their faces in the corner of their videos?To me,it just screams "I haven't a clue how to actually make this video interesting so I'll just distract you with my wacky reactions!"

And of all the self-obsessed Youtubers,Pewdiepie has to be up at the top.There's nothing funny about screaming rape over and over because you've got no insightful commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

No i never watch them.
    Swan Curry wrote: »
    Is anyone else sick of Youtubers sticking their faces in the corner of their videos?To me,it just screams "I haven't a clue how to actually make this video interesting so I'll just distract you with my wacky reactions!"

I don't mind it too much myself. I do agree, it can be quite stupid in some cases. I understood it for live steaming, but some youtubers just slap it in there for the craic now. I find it quite easy to ignore it though, so my opinion may not be as valid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

No i never watch them.
    I find the walkthroughs very helpful to make up my mind before buying, like COD 2 or MW3 etc.

And vids can help if yer stuck in a game...like Riddler trophies on AC, what i dislike is how guys like TheRadBrad monetise the whole thing....the likes get them money, they get free games, he's making alot of money.

I dont agree with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭JyesusChrist

Mister Man wrote: »
    YouTube has helped me make a lot of choices in terms of games I want to buy vs games I actually buy.
    If it wasn't for YouTube (and mainly FrankonPCin1080p) I wouldn't have even looked at Arma II, and thus, never heard about DayZ.
    Big reason for me getting The Last of Us was watching the start of a play through for it, and think it was worth splashing out on.
    I've bought loads of Indie games because I watched some videos for them.
    On the flip side, I've decided against buying loads of games, saving me loads of money because of YouTubers. Would have happily bought TheWar Z at full price (Ended up buying 2 quid on sale) if I didn't search for some reviews.

I often find myself watching someones walk through series of a game after I've finished, just to see what I've missed.
    I always watch online gameplay for games for tactics, tips, and for just general entertainment. It's also a huge factor in me buying many of my games, as I know the story will be done quick enough.

*edit*
    I few years back, I was the typical Cod4 youtuber, making trick-shoot videos/montages. I've long since finished, but it was great craic making them too. I mixed it up the odd time with other games. Most of the videos got deleted for copyright or by me, but if anyone is interested, the other side of the video is also just as much fun.

Same. I had no interest in DayZ until I stumbled across Frankie's videos. Shame he was hacking though:/

Advertisement