Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MP5 firing slightly hot! What to do?

• 21-06-2013 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

Well as the title says, I bought a Ics mp5a5 off airsofteire the other day, now im gonna be giving them a ring tomorrow as im pretty pissed off. Basically I got the mp5, order 6 mags for it etc yeno the deal, get down to The hive and find out the things firing at 1.05 joules! :( The sheet they gave me says its firing at 316 fps apparently?!? Well I call bull-sheet. Pun intended. So im pretty sure I trust The hives chrono more as they done it right infront of me. The lads gave me a rental for the day (Thanks so much again for that!!) and I used that but could only think about my baby in my bag in the safezone haha.

Is there any way i can solve this problem without sending it back? The fuse holder broke (By itself i may add) so they might not take it back as its being held together with masking tape right now haha. Anyway I was thinking about leaving the spring compressed for the night but im not sure if it will stay below 328 say after a few days of the spring not being compressed. Im pretty sure they should pay postage if iv gotta send it back as the shop could be shut down for selling an illegal firearm to someone and they probably know that themselves. Anyway thanks for reading guys and I really hope I can get this fixed without sending it back. (Im not taking it apart myself though! They said they replaced it with an m90 but i dont believe that)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Untamedlemon

Well as the title says, I bought a Ics mp5a5 off airsofteire the other day, now im gonna be giving them a ring tomorrow as im pretty pissed off. Basically I got the mp5, order 6 mags for it etc yeno the deal, get down to The hive and find out the things firing at 1.05 joules! :( The sheet they gave me says its firing at 316 fps apparently?!? Well I call bull-sheet. Pun intended. So im pretty sure I trust The hives chrono more as they done it right infront of me. The lads gave me a rental for the day (Thanks so much again for that!!) and I used that but could only think about my baby in my bag in the safezone haha.

Is there any way i can solve this problem without sending it back? The fuse holder broke (By itself i may add) so they might not take it back as its being held together with masking tape right now haha. Anyway I was thinking about leaving the spring compressed for the night but im not sure if it will stay below 328 say after a few days of the spring not being compressed. Im pretty sure they should pay postage if iv gotta send it back as the shop could be shut down for selling an illegal firearm to someone and they probably know that themselves. Anyway thanks for reading guys and I really hope I can get this fixed without sending it back. (Im not taking it apart myself though! They said they replaced it with an m90 but i dont believe that)

If never heard that about airsofteire as they are quite a reliable retailer and a very good retailer at that.
    I remember when I bought my g&g that at first it was firing at 340 fps so the site let me empty a mag on full auto because it was a new gun and that brought it back to ~325 fps. The chrono sheet said 320 fps ( not the same retailer btw) which it did return to with use. Maybe just empty a few mags into a box or in your back garden. Don't take my word that it will work I'm just saying that it worked for me when I had the same problem. Give them a ring anyway and I'm sure they'll sort it out for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭SlappyTheSeal

If never heard that about airsofteire as they are quite a reliable retailer and a very good retailer at that.
    I remember when I bought my g&g that at first it was firing at 340 fps so the site let me empty a mag on full auto because it was a new gun and that brought it back to ~325 fps. The chrono sheet said 320 fps ( not the same retailer btw) which it did return to with use. Maybe just empty a few mags into a box or in your back garden. Don't take my word that it will work I'm just saying that it worked for me when I had the same problem. Give them a ring anyway and I'm sure they'll sort it out for you.

Yeah I fired a few founds through it and somehow the thing went up to 1.07 joules haha, so ill try shooting a few more through it to see if that does anything then, ill be giving them a call tomorrow then.

Yeah I fired a few founds through it and somehow the thing went up to 1.07 joules haha, so ill try shooting a few more through it to see if that does anything then, ill be giving them a call tomorrow then.

0.05 is such a tiny bit over that it won't take long to go down at all.
    Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

In saying that chrono's have a habit of giving different reading depending on brand being used ,
    Never heard of hot AEG from the lads before,
    Bring it to your nearest retailer and ask them to chrono it again and give the lads a shout in airsofteire

Gatling wrote: »
    In saying that chrono's have a habit of giving different reading depending on brand being used ,
    Never heard of hot AEG from the lads before,
    Bring it to your nearest retailer and ask them to chrono it again and give the lads a shout in airsofteire

Ill bring it down to mia then, theyre pretty close to me. Would leaving the sprimg compressed overnight do much?

• Advertisement

Ill bring it down to mia then, theyre pretty close to me. Would leaving the sprimg compressed overnight do much?

Doubt it been honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Absolutely nothing. Various chrono's do give different results, as do lighting conditions and atmospheric conditions. If it's over, call the lads up and let them know it's over, they'd have no bothers downgrading it, I'm sure.

I called up AirsoftEire today and they said he chronod it himself and it was 316fps at the time, he also said fire a few rounds out my back which i did (1000 rds) and to get it chronod again. So i done that now i gotta get it chrono'd again. He said it would make the spring less stiffer etc.

I want to get it lower without bringing it back to AirsoftEire if possible, its a 1hr drive up so its best if i can solve it without bringing it back. Any other tips? He said leaving the spring compressed for a few days might do it also

I want to get it lower without bringing it back to AirsoftEire if possible, its a 1hr drive up so its best if i can solve it without bringing it back. Any other tips? He said leaving the spring compressed for a few days might do it also

you dont need to go all the way to airsofteire, just go to your nearest shop and get them to do it. All shops have a chrono.
    While at the hive did you test it on only 1 chrono or 2 because as Gatling said it could just be the chrono thats showing its over the J when in actual fact it mightnt be over , but just very close to it.
    In saying that its better to be safe than sorry.

• Advertisement

you dont need to go all the way to airsofteire, just go to your nearest shop and get them to do it. All shops have a chrono.
    While at the hive did you test it on only 1 chrono or 2 because as Gatling said it could just be the chrono thats showing its over the J when in actual fact it mightnt be over , but just very close to it.
    In saying that its better to be safe than sorry.

Nearest shop is Mia, wouldnt trust them or there 'downgrade' method. Aka drilling a feckin hole in my cylinder. Ill go for a chrono there but nothing else I guess. And they tested it on one only

Nearest shop is Mia, wouldnt trust them or there 'downgrade' method. Aka drilling a feckin hole in my cylinder. Ill go for a chrono there but nothing else I guess. And they tested it on one only

dont let the gun leave your sight...........im serious!!

dont let the gun leave your sight...........im serious!!

I wont haha, The things perfect aside from the hot issue. If they even opened the thing id go mental haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

I wont haha, The things perfect aside from the hot issue. If they even opened the thing id go mental haha

Well to do it the correct way, they have to open it up. After a few thousand rounds the spring should bed in.

But it is down to the chrono model id imagine, My M4 reads 316fps on my xcortech, it reads 285fps at LAC with the madbull chrono. Certain conditions like the lads mentioned can really effect readings. I have been using airsofteire for years now and I have never had an issue with them, if it said 316fps then I would not of questioned it.

The former "eirsoft" retailer sold me an GBBR that fired 450fps?, what you have is marginal ( but none the less illegal) what they sold me was just stupidity on their part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Different chrono's give different results, period. Some read higher, some read lower - as the lads have said it depends on the lighting conditions, the maintenance of the chrono (i.e. they do need to be cleaned and calibrated occasionally), brand, battery life etc. Also remember that weather is a factor - things like heat and humidity can play a big part as well. The past couple of blinders we've had have wreaked havoc on peoples guns passing the chrono.

I can understand your annoyance in not getting to use your new gun, but I think it is pertinent to bear in mind that there is no way in hell that a reputable retailer will knowingly allow an overpowered gun to leave their premises. The fact that you've since phoned them and the lad confirmed that he remembered the gun testifies that it was under the legal limit when tested; if there was any doubt the first thing they'd do is get the gun back.

It is not unusual for different chrono's to read 15+ fps higher or lower, so since yours was confirmed at firing at 316 FPS, then there isn't much margin for error. This is a common problem for those seeking to toe the line with the limit. Personally speaking if it were me, I'd very politely ask the lads in AirsoftEire to downgrade the gun to closer to 300fps, as it will allow greater margin for different chrono's. Even if you had to pay for the service, it means your gun would stay under warranty - anyone else touches it and you lose it :(

First port of call, get the gun chrono'd. Then you know what to do from there.

Inari wrote: »
    Different chrono's give different results, period. Some read higher, some read lower - as the lads have said it depends on the lighting conditions, the maintenance of the chrono (i.e. they do need to be cleaned and calibrated occasionally), brand, battery life etc. Also remember that weather is a factor - things like heat and humidity can play a big part as well. The past couple of blinders we've had have wreaked havoc on peoples guns passing the chrono.

I can understand your annoyance in not getting to use your new gun, but I think it is pertinent to bear in mind that there is no way in hell that a reputable retailer will knowingly allow an overpowered gun to leave their premises. The fact that you've since phoned them and the lad confirmed that he remembered the gun testifies that it was under the legal limit when tested; if there was any doubt the first thing they'd do is get the gun back.

It is not unusual for different chrono's to read 15+ fps higher or lower, so since yours was confirmed at firing at 316 FPS, then there isn't much margin for error. This is a common problem for those seeking to toe the line with the limit. Personally speaking if it were me, I'd very politely ask the lads in AirsoftEire to downgrade the gun to closer to 300fps, as it will allow greater margin for different chrono's. Even if you had to pay for the service, it means your gun would stay under warranty - anyone else touches it and you lose it :(

First port of call, get the gun chrono'd. Then you know what to do from there.

Ill be heading down to MIA on monday to ask them to chrono it while I buy a bottle of BB's. Hopefully there reading will be accurate! I just hope its not firing at the 1.05 joules The hive said it was (Thats nearly 340fps :eek:) Anyway I put about 1.5k rounds through it this morning hopefully thatll do something to bed in the spring! And they said the only thing they could do was drill the cylinder if I wanted it downgraded more as theres a m90 in it and a m80 wouldnt be ideal in my opinion :(

They also said the gardai allow a 5% error margin with there chrono so if its 1-5% over the legal limit they will allow it appearntly! Its a shame the site i went to yesterday didnt :(

Ill be heading down to MIA on monday to ask them to chrono it while I buy a bottle of BB's. Hopefully there reading will be accurate! I just hope its not firing at the 1.05 joules The hive said it was (Thats nearly 340fps :eek:) Anyway I put about 1.5k rounds through it this morning hopefully thatll do something to bed in the spring! And they said the only thing they could do was drill the cylinder if I wanted it downgraded more as theres a m90 in it and a m80 wouldnt be ideal in my opinion :(

They also said the gardai allow a 5% error margin with there chrono so if its 1-5% over the legal limit they will allow it appearntly! Its a shame the site i went to yesterday didnt :(

They could cut the m90 spring and round off the end.......make it an m85, heck you could make it an m89 if it pleases you!!

Believe me they don't. If it's even the tiniest bit over, say goodbye to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Oh my.........

Have heard it all now, I am not surpised that when you asked for a spring downgrade they replied, whats that??.

I honestly would not give them a tin of beans to open let alone a gearbox, send it back to airsofteire with proof of your next chrono reading if it fires hot.

Oh my.........

Have heard it all now, I am not surpised that when you asked for a spring downgrade they replied, whats that??.

I honestly would not give them a tin of beans to open let alone a gearbox, send it back to airsofteire with proof of your next chrono reading if it fires hot.

Well im just quoting what they said, they said that so i thought id post it on here and see what you guys think, i guess theres just bull-sh*tting me then, its a brand new gun so ill get it chrono'd on monday and if its over consider cutting coils off (Getting it done professionally though!)

• Advertisement

Are you sure theres not some sort of break in period? I fired 1.5k rounds today maybe that should bring it down a bit

Actually was your hop up off when it was chrononed

Actually was your hop up off when it was chrononed

Now that i think about it yes. fully off. Would turning it on reduce it to the legal limit? :D

Now that i think about it yes. fully off. Would turning it on reduce it to the legal limit? :D

No turning it on would have the opposite effect unfortunately,

Get her chronoed at mia and if there chrono which if I remember correct is a skan chrono more accurate reading's
    If that comes in still warm send it back to the lads for a downgrade and hopefully keep your warranty don't let anybody else touch it

Get her chronoed at mia and if there chrono which if I remember correct is a skan chrono more accurate reading's
    If that comes in still warm send it back to the lads for a downgrade and hopefully keep your warranty don't let anybody else touch it
    They also had a Skan chrono which worried me, there was two readings on it, one on the left and one on the right of a calculator looking screen, they counted the reading as the one on the right? was that right of them or should they have used the left reading?

Also will they charge me for a downgrade? they better not as they supposedly downgrade it before they sell it to you :eek:

Also will they charge me for a downgrade? they better not as they supposedly downgrade it before they sell it to you :eek:

Doubt it but that's for Steve or liam to answer

Doubt it but that's for Steve or liam to answer

True, will give them a ring if its still over on monday, leaving the spring compressed till then too so that should do something!

Hey, it turns out its over the legal limit even after breaking the spring in, so airsofteire have arranged a pickup of my gun and I should have It back by the end of the week. Pretty happy with the result :)

• Advertisement

Again.... Compressing the spring does nothing.

Advertisement