Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice, final paycheck and P45 issue.

Options
  • 22-06-2013 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

I recently handed in my notice. My boss has a history of neglecting people who are leaving, he often takes a long time deliberately to sort out their paychecks and P45s. He has gone on holiday without telling me, leaving supervisors (they have no control over pay and documents) in charge.

My final working week is next week and I desperately need my last full paycheck then along with my P45. He wont be back until well after I have left the company. I want to know what my rights are in regards to this? Within what time period does he legally HAVE to give me my final pay and P45 before it becomes illegal?

Also, my final working day of my notice is Thursday. This months payday is Friday. Am I entitled to get my Thursday pay in this months check or will I have to wait another full month to receive it? Normally the final week in the month is carried over into the next paycheck but I'm not sure whether I am supposed to receive it this month since this is the month I'm leaving.

Does anyone have any information or links to official sites that could clue me in on what my rights are in this scenario?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

I'm unable to advise you but try the national employment rights authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

If you lose your job you have certain rights and entitlements including the right to be paid for work you have done. If you have not been paid by the date of dismissal or if you are still owed some wages, you have a legal entitlement to be paid for your work. The non-payment of your wages is a deduction from your pay by your employer – see 'Deductions from pay' below.

When you leave work
    On the day your employment ends, that is the date of dismissal, there are certain things your employer should give you. They include the following:

The pay you are owed and a payslip
    A P45 giving details of your pay with the tax and PRSI deducted to date
    If you have been made redundant, the redundancy payment due to you

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/pay_and_employment/leaving_work_without_being_paid.html

Send him an email, noting that you are legally entitled to pay on the last day of employment, and a payslip. Ask him to advise what the amount will be, and from who your should collect your cheque and payslip.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Don't want to be pedantic, but that page looks like it's about when you've been dismissed, not when you resign. I'd have thought that the normal pay routine can still be used if you leave voluntarily, so your next pay day could be after you're gone with the P45 following that.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Eoin wrote: »
    Don't want to be pedantic, but that page looks like it's about when you've been dismissed, not when you resign. I'd have thought that the normal pay routine can still be used if you leave voluntarily, so your next pay day could be after you're gone with the P45 following that.

Yes, you're right, that page is more about losing your job. I had tried researching the answer myself already but I kept coming across stuff like this. It doesn't seem like there is solid rules for when you voluntarily leave (maybe to discourage you from doing so!). I may have to phone my Head Office which is located abroad to find out the real story.
    Thank you for the answers provided anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I am pretty sure that the normal pay run applies - that's what happens in our company anyway - so you might well get your final paycheck after you've left, unless they decide to sort you out on your last day. The P45 is then issued after your last paycheck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement