Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dishwashers

• 22-06-2013 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I need advice on what to look for in a dishwasher. My old one was a cheap model years ago and never gave good results. What should I be checking for when I go to the shop? I thought they just heated up the water and washed dishes, but mine never fulfilled its promises. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

How you fill the dishwasher is as important as the type of tablet/powder you fill it with.
    The water has to flow between all the dishes & cutlery to have any chance of cleaning it.
    Also it's important that the swing arms (the things that spray water everywhere) are allowed to spin.

When looking for a new one, the main thing to look for is one with a low energy rating then decide on its loading capacity.

Try to look for a unit that has a long warranty as it will probably last longer as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

....Also it's important that the swing arms (the things that spray water everywhere) are allowed to spin.

Thanks for the advice. I notice you say the plural 'arms'. My machine only has one arm and the manual said to clean it out regularly but it doesn't open up for cleaning. Had to get gunge out with a pin for heaven's sake, but then as I said it was a cheapie one. So do other models have more than one arm? There hasn't been a lot of interest in this post but bumping up in case someone can help with more info. Do dishwashers all use cold water or hot water or both. Mine only used cold and then heated it, which I think is uneconomical in winter time when the water in the tank is already hot. I'm off to the shops at the weekend to see what there is. A salesman sold me the one I have saying they are all the same, so I'm not sure they will tell me all I need to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭JASOND29

look at siemens boch aeg or blomberg and you cant go far wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

all domestic dishwashers are designed to run from a cold water intake and wash at a rising temperature as generally you wont have much control over hot water temp intake which may gum up the resin in the water softener, as per last post the german ones are generally better with the bosch/siemens range washing alternatively at full wash pressure to the spray arms giving deeper cleansing, the dearer ones have top basket/tray positioning at the flick of a lever, spray arm cleaning is virtually the same on all d/w, also use rinse aid as it does two jobs it gives you the shine but just as important it helps shed water for drying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    My machine only has one arm and the manual said to clean it out regularly but it doesn't open up for cleaning. Had to get gunge out with a pin for heaven's sake, but then as I said it was a cheapie one.
    On every dishwasher I've owned, the arms can be removed very simply, usually by unscrewing a collar where they attach to the water outlet. In fact, thinking about it, it'd be hard to imagine a design where the arm was permanently attached, it'd be a nightmare to produce. Anyway, once removed, you can then flush them through from the outside, washing any gunk down out of the water inlet. You may need to poke out any hard items that get stuck in the nozzles with somthing, usually tiny bits of bone or lemon pips in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks again for replying everyone. The arm comes off ok, just wondered did any of 'em open up for cleaning. Seems none of them do. Have been out shopping and taking notes of prices, they start around €300 and then prices rise to heaven!! :eek: Anyhoo will be holding a conference with our breadwinner shortly to decide which one.

Advertisement