Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for using "gay" as a noun in the plural.

Options
  • 22-06-2013 12:54am
    Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭

A bit taken aback by this.

Forum: Conspiracy theories
    Mod: Penn

This is the post:

Originally Posted by Brown Bomber viewpost.gif

I could be wrong but I'd imagine prisons are
    split between women and men's prisons for issues of prisoner safety primarily.
    You can't really have for example a male rapist sharing a cell with a female
    imprisoned for identity theft.

As for schooling, I for one am glad I
    went to an all boys school. I think I've learned more that way. I reckon I
    would've spent more time preening and showing off if there were girls there and
    I'd reckon so would everyone else except for the gays.

Absolutely nothing derogatory said or implied about my homosexual brothers and sisters.

What is clearly implied is that unlike heterosexual boys & girls whom I believed would be inclined to show off in a mixed school Gay boys and lesbians ("the gays") would not.

Naturally this is due to them not being attracted to the opposite sex.

Even the dictionary says I have done nothing wrong here.

gayprime.gifness
    n.

Usage Note: The word gay is now standard
    in its use to refer to people whose orientation is to the same sex, in large
    part because it is the term that most gay people prefer in referring to
    themselves. Gay is distinguished from homosexual primarily by the
    emphasis it places on the cultural and social aspects of homosexuality as
    opposed to sexual practice. Many writers reserve gay for males, but the
    word is also used to refer to both sexes; when the intended meaning is not clear
    in the context, the phrase gay and lesbian may be used. Gay is
    often considered objectionable when used as a noun to refer to particular
    individuals, as in There were two gays on the panel; here phrasing such
    as Two members of the panel were gay should be used instead. But there is
    no objection to the use of the noun in the plural to refer collectively either
    to gay men or to gay men and lesbians, so long as it is clear whether men alone
    or both men and women are being discussed. See Usage Note at homosexual.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hey Brown Bomber we'll look into this, sorry for the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Hello, the ban has been overturned, I discussed it with the others and the majority thought the term was used in a way that wasn't problematic.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

nesf wrote: »
    Hello, the ban has been overturned, I discussed it with the others and the majority thought the term was used in a way that wasn't problematic.

I'm not used to getting the benefit of the doubt here, so thank you ( I think). It's not clear if you were in this majority or not. Thank you either way for taking the time. Trying to view this from outside my perspective it is a case I think of not attributing malice when stupidity will do or however it goes. I was simply trying to acknowledge the existence of gays, that was the only reason I included it all. I have not and would not ever use the term "the gays" in actual speech. It was a lazy shorthand way of expressing myself. There is a lesson in this for me too.

Anyway, appreciate your time. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement