Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossing from US into Mexico, then back into the US

Options
  • 22-06-2013 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Wondering does anyone know is it possible to pop into Mexico from the States, then back into the States again, as an Irish passport holder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yes, it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Possible, Yes. Advisable...Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rex Mundi

Into mexico no problem, back across a good bit slower.

MadsL wrote: »
    Possible, Yes. Advisable...Hmmm.

Agreed. Especially if are planning "to pop" over to Tijuana in particular. It used to be a decent days crack if you were based in the San Diego area. Not any more !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Also be aware that you don't reset your time on a visa waiver by entering Mexico (or Canada), it's still the original 90 days. From a safety perspective I also wouldn't go over a land border to Mexico.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

A lot of those were accidents( slipping from balcony etc, that happens in the canaries and Balearics a lot as well).

I was in Tijuana last month, it's dodgy but enjoyable. We had no hassles the entire time we were there. The line back into the US was around 40 mins. You need to have your wits about you, and check before you go as situations can change.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That has to be the most blatantly misnamed website, the majority of the so-called victims were killed falling off balconies or in other type of accidents, in many cases because they were attending family weddings or they were students on 'graduation parties' with their mates so there was lots of drink and late-night parties with inevitable consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Also be aware that you don't reset your time on a visa waiver by entering Mexico (or Canada), it's still the original 90 days. From a safety perspective I also wouldn't go over a land border to Mexico.

Do you have a link for this? Not that I dont believe you but never heard this before.

Also never heard of anyone not going over the land border to Mexico.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Do you have a link for this? Not that I dont believe you but never heard this before.

It's true
    While in the U.S., you may go to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean and Adjacent Islands and re-enter the U.S. using the I-94 admission notation you were issued on your VWP passport when you first arrived in the U.S., although the time you spend there is included in the 90 days allotted for your visit.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/194/~/visa-waiver-program---eligible-countries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

SHOVELLER wrote: »

Going over a land border isn't a legal/immigration/visa issue. The issue is that the land borders and the borders towns can be very dangerous places to cross at now, due the the drug wars going on, and the high amounts of drug related criminality in the areas. A lot of it involves clueless tourists who are just there for an evenings crack, and they wind up being the easy targets/victims of all kinds of crazy carry on. Tijuana is especially notorious for it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Going over a land border isn't a legal/immigration/visa issue. The issue is that the land borders and the borders towns can be very dangerous places to cross at now, due the the drug wars going on, and the high amounts of drug related criminality in the areas. A lot of it involves clueless tourists who are just there for an evenings crack, and they wind up being the easy targets/victims of all kinds of crazy carry on. Tijuana is especially notorious for it now.

+1, this is exactly what I meant.

One of my good friends is from El Paso. She grew up going over and back over the border for night's out etc. Her family ran a cross border construction company based just south of San Diego - this now runs exclusively on the US due to their fears for their safety after a number of incidents. These are people well familiar with Mexico and they won't go to border towns anymore.

Advertisement