Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I missing something...

Options
  • 22-06-2013 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I was spinning for trout on the free fishing stretch of the Lee this evening and headed for home around 9PM. I came to where my bike was locked up and saw a fella casting a lure just under the weir. I said to him as I was passing "any bites yet?" and he replied that they don't usually bite they either take the bait or they don't. He then proceeded to alternate between being obnoxiously condescending and interrogating me about who I was and what I was using including asking "where I stood with the law" and "had I any convictions". At this point he told me he was the president of the weir association (what the f### is that?) and falsely informed me that i needed a €58 permit to fish there. When he asked to see the reel and line I was using I told him no and walked away.

I understand that the state if the freshwater stocks in the area aren't in any great shakes at the moment and that there are private fisheries and clubs which put a lot of effort into what they do but is this the kind of behavior I can expect from other anglers if I go out and try to learn the sport? Genuinely annoyed at this fella to be honest. Maybe it's because I'm 21 and look quite young but the sense of entitlement there was really a bit much.

/rant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

I was spinning for trout on the free fishing stretch of the Lee this evening and headed for home around 9PM. I came to where my bike was locked up and saw a fella casting a lure just under the weir. I said to him as I was passing "any bites yet?" and he replied that they don't usually bite they either take the bait or they don't. He then proceeded to alternate between being obnoxiously condescending and interrogating me about who I was and what I was using including asking "where I stood with the law" and "had I any convictions". At this point he told me he was the president of the weir association (what the f### is that?) and falsely informed me that i needed a €58 permit to fish there. When he asked to see the reel and line I was using I told him no and walked away.

I understand that the state if the freshwater stocks in the area aren't in any great shakes at the moment and that there are private fisheries and clubs which put a lot of effort into what they do but is this the kind of behavior I can expect from other anglers if I go out and try to learn the sport? Genuinely annoyed at this fella to be honest. Maybe it's because I'm 21 and look quite young but the sense of entitlement there was really a bit much.

/rant.

Haha never heard of this assocation I doubt very much it even exist

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Well, every sport has its gobsh!tes. Seems you just met one. Don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Sometimes clowns are left out of the circus. Should have told him you caught a bass or a pollack and play him at his own game.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yoloc

We had this camping once on a beach where this fella came up and said he owned the land and wanted 50euro of us if we wanted to stay there. We told him to GTF, later found out he catchs tourists out with this and ends up with the 50 for drink money lol

Advertisement