Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving test question

• 22-06-2013 2:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Apart from reversing around a corner , doing a hill start , doing a 3 point turn and answering some theory questions , what else is involved apart from just driving around ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Lots of looking in mirrors, knowing the secondary controls, what's under the bonnet, turning right/left, roundabouts. Knowing the hand signals.

Quite a bit to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Lots of looking in mirrors, knowing the secondary controls, what's under the bonnet, turning right/left, roundabouts. Knowing the hand signals.

Quite a bit to be fair.

Add anticipating and reacting to hazards, changing lanes, giving clearance etc etc etc. it sounds so easy in the first post :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Apart from reversing around a corner , doing a hill start , doing a 3 point turn and answering some theory questions , what else is involved apart from just driving around ?
    Demonstrating you have acquired sufficient driving skills to be considered safe to continue to learn to drive unaccompanied.

That is the purpose of the test now. No idea what it meant before:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Does this cover everything

1. Look mirrors before signalling in what direction your going

2. Keep within speed limits

3 . Look back over both shoukders before taking off

4. Know Garda Signals

5. Know road signs

6. Know under front bonnet

7. Know secondary controls in car

8. Reverse around corner

9. 3 point turn

10. Hill start

11. Get to 4th gear quickly

12. Rules of road theory questions

13. Put car in neutral when stopped at traffic lights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

position on road.
    knowing procedures at turning right at traffic lights (drives me nuts when people don't move into the junction)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Does this cover everything

1. Look mirrors before signalling in what direction your going

2. Keep within speed limits

3 . Look back over both shoukders before taking off

4. Know Garda Signals

5. Know road signs

6. Know under front bonnet

7. Know secondary controls in car

8. Reverse around corner

9. 3 point turn

10. Hill start

12. Rules of road theory questions

All of the above but 13 I think. I was never told that

Also I may add

•Courtesy to other road users and pedestrians

•Reation to and anticipation of hazards

•Know how to use junctions and roundabouts correctly.

•Use appropriate speed depending on road and traffic conditions and progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

All of this is covered on the RSA web site under preparing for your test at
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Drivers/The-Driving-Test/What-it-is/
    In the preparing for your test section click on the preparing for your test booklet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭redarmy1929

11. Progress really, you have to match the speed of the road and speed you are travelling at.

13. Except if you are first at the lights I was told.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Bonnet check and demonstrating knowledge of secondary controls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

position on road.
    knowing procedures at turning right at traffic lights (drives me nuts when people don't move into the junction)

That's a big one, if there's a full circle green light you HAVE to make your turn when the uncoming lane is clear for you to turn DO NOT WAIT for a filter right arrow if there is one because you will be correctly marked down for insufficient progress. You have to wait for the arrow only when the set of traffic lights is made up of left, right and straight ahead arrows only.

Also, a stop sign means a complete standstill before moving on.

If part of the test is on a dual carraigeway with sliproads; sliproads are there to build up speed or slow down as you enter or exit, do not start those manouvres on the actual dual carraigeway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 john057

what questions are usually asked before the driving test starts? i was told there is a few signs and about 5 rules of the road questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

john057 wrote: »
    what questions are usually asked before the driving test starts? i was told there is a few signs and about 5 rules of the road questions.

I had my test yesterday, I was asked the following; who is not allowed on a motorway, what is a yellow box, can you cross a continuous white line, can you overtake on the left. He then pointed to about 5 road signs and asked me to identify them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 john057

thanks, they seem easy enough so. my test is on the 16th of July so just checking what to look over in the theory book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

john057 wrote: »
    thanks, they seem easy enough so. my test is on the 16th of July so just checking what to look over in the theory book.

My driving instructor gave me a sheet with 32 questions on it, he said once I learned that I would be fine, typically though on the day they suddenly added the question about the motorway but sure everyone knows that anyway!

If you want a copy of the questions PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Bubblegum18

Hi just wondering does anyone have a driving test in Tuam between now and the 26th of July? I dont want to know peoples exact test times just is there any tests taking place in the next 3 weeks.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Add keeping your hands at the 10-2 position, I'm guilty of not following this as I often rest my left hand on the gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sunburnt

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone has completed a driving test recently and what questions came up? I have the list of 40 but I am hoping to get a couple of the most common so I am ok if my mind doesn't go blank!

Thanks
    Sunburnt

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

That's a big one, if there's a full circle green light you HAVE to make your turn when the uncoming lane is clear for you to turn DO NOT WAIT for a filter right arrow if there is one because you will be correctly marked down for insufficient progress. You have to wait for the arrow only when the set of traffic lights is made up of left, right and straight ahead arrows only.

Also, a stop sign means a complete standstill before moving on.

If part of the test is on a dual carraigeway with sliproads; sliproads are there to build up speed or slow down as you enter or exit, do not start those manouvres on the actual dual carraigeway.

If your traffic light to turn has a dedicated red light, you cannot make the turn until it goes green (once it is safe to do so). Doesn't matter if straight ahead has a solid green light available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Mod: please don't bump 3 year old threads.

Advertisement