Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

avi files turn to exe when downloading

Options
  • 22-06-2013 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Im trying to download a .avi file but when i get to download it it turns into a .exe file. How can i fix this and what does it mean ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

That could be dodgy. Often sites which are malware ridden will disguise exe files avi, mp3 or similar media file types. Exe files are executable files which are used to install programmes on your computer, which can be useful or harmful. If you've installed other things like MS Office for example you'll have used exe files. So what you're downloading now is a programmme installation file. Check with the source of the file what the craic is. Some sites will want you to use a special downloading programme to download the file which might be ok, though I'd avoid it if possible.

100% malware.

Advertisement