Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rottweiler running free in residential area

• 22-06-2013 8:53am

Bloody hell! I'm just back from getting my morning paper. I went over to the shop and what do I see but a huge Rottweiler on the path outside a house. I had bumped into the thing before but he was in their garden that time which was scary enough.

I just can't believe someone would let a dangerous dog run free in a residential area where there are kids and elderly. It beggars belief.

Now before anyone says anything I absolutely love dogs. This dog is extremely aggressive and barking at anyone that simply walks by on a public road. I got attacked by two medium sized dogs before outside an itinerant camping site so God knows what kind of damage this thing would do!

I took a 7V5jXk_thumb.jpg on my smartphone (it was lashing rain so they ain't the best). It's fuzzy because I didn't have the liathroidi to get closer! :D Most shocking was the Garda car that passed me while I was taking the photos. They did absolutely nothing.

I'm raging that I was put in fear of injury while simply getting a few things at the local shop. How can people be so so stupid and careless?

Why do people get these things? What's wrong with a cute terrier? Is there anything I can do to prevent some poor sap getting mauled when this thing gets angry enough? Preferably anonymously or they'll have two of them over there waiting for me the next morning!

/vent

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

While I agree the dog should not be out running loose- indeed no dog should be out running loose, there is no much wrong with your post I can't take it seriously.
    It looks like a rotty, in what way is it 'dangerous' ? A dog barking- does not equal vicious. Why they chose one breed over another is hardly your business. Cute terriers can be quite aggressive. And why would the dog get 'angry' or 'maul' someone?

Seriously, if you're that worried about the dog, approach the people next time you see them and tell them the dog got loose and you have reported it to the dog warden- which I assume you did, rather that come straight onto and animal/pet forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Had 2 of them running free around the estate one morning when going to work. They escaped from a back garden, a scary site to encounter when you're on your own.

I haven't reported it. I was looking for advice before I did anything serious. That's why I "came straight on animal/pet forum".

I haven't reported it. I was looking for advice before I did anything serious. That's why I "came straight on animal/pet forum".

Well then, reporting it would be your best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

This IS a joke right? What's dangerous about him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

It's illegal to have Rottweilers loose

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1998/en/si/0442.html

Report them before a child gets hurt!

andreac wrote: »

Oh I don't know...the fact that he's a Rottweiler and classified as a "dangerous dog" by statutory legislation?

Just because yours/your friends is a big cuddly dote doesn't mean this is.

Oh I don't know...the fact that he's a Rottweiler and classified as a "dangerous dog" by statutory legislation?

Are they? I though they were restricted breed.

No, but just because a dog barks does not make him dangerous or vicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,643 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Having had a rottweiler lunge at me and make enough of an attempt to bite me that he left bruises and scars on my leg - I was very pregnant at the time and not very nimble - I am nervous of rottweilers. Fortunately he was partially restrained though in a public place and unsupervised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

If it were me, and the dog was deliberately let out as opposed to getting loose this once... I'd make myself the biggest pain in the dog wardens backside.

It's just not good enough folks. If a dog that size turned on a child or other small dog (being walked on lead) the papers would have a field day. This, sadly, is some people's idea of 'exercising' a dog.

Report the owner, not the breed. This is not a loose 'Rottie' problem. This is a loose dog/irresonsible owner problem.

If you own a dog. You should be responsible enough not to have it out off lead (and out of your control, physical or verbal) where kids and small pets are present. At the beach, the park or in a busy housing estate. End of!

No such thing as dangerous dogs in Ireland. It's restricted breeds, very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

The fact the Owner is irresponsible enough to let the restricted breed dog roam really doesn't help this situation.

Call the warden, the owner needs to take responsibility and ensure that their dog is not a threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

No such thing as dangerous dogs in Ireland. It's restricted breeds, very different.

But those breeds must be muzzled and on a leash in public places!

Hooked wrote: »
    If it were me, and the dog was deliberately let out as opposed to getting loose this once... I'd make myself the biggest pain in the dog wardens backside.

It's just not good enough folks. If a dog that size turned on a child or other small dog (being walked on lead) the papers would have a field day. This, sadly, is some people's idea of 'exercising' a dog.

Report the owner, not the breed. This is not a loose 'Rottie' problem. This is a loose dog/irresonsible owner problem.

If you own a dog. You should be responsible enough not to have it out off lead (and out of your control, physical or verbal) where kids and small pets are present. At the beach, the park or in a busy housing estate. End of!

That's pretty much what I'm getting at, this is a loose dog problem, report it to the warden. Why bring terriers and what not into it?

No, but just because a dog barks does not make him dangerous or vicious.
    It's intimidating at the very least. Nobody should have to feel intimidated walking the street.

But those breeds must be muzzled and on a leash in public places!

Yes, we know that, that's the law, it still does not make them 'dangerous.' So the OP should contact the warden, not ponder why the owners don't have a terrier or engage in whataboutery.

It's intimidating at the very least. Nobody should have to feel intimidated walking the street.

Indeed, no one disputes that.

Yes they should. The dog shouldn't be out loose. But just because a dog barks doesn't mean it's aggressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Yes these dogs have a bad name for a reason. They are restricted for a reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

The same could be said for a "cute terrier"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Is the dog staying at this one property? Or is he wandering the street ? If he's at the one property that's possibly his home. My dogs bark if someone comes into the driveway. It's their way if saying this is my house, and I'm watching you, I might want to go out and play with you, or lick you or something, but i can see you.

Quality wrote: »

Poppycock, the restricted breed legislation is the most arbituary piece of kneejerk nonsense I've ever encountered. I think you'll find the reason these dogs are restricted and have a bad name has little to do with the dogs at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,643 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The same could be said for a "cute terrier"!

But if a cute terrier (and yes they can be snappy) is having a go at your ankles a swift kick would have an effect, meanwhile something as big as a rottweiler would have you flat on your back and a mouthful of throat.

Oh dear. Pathetic. You obv don't have a clue about restricted breeds then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Two words. Bad owners.

He was outside the owner's gate when I first encountered it. When I went back to take a photo I saw him coming out of someone's elses garden (they have no front wall to their garden).

I'd actually be all for a restricted owner legislation, rather than blame entire breeds for the actions of some eegits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Indeed, no one disputes that.

Actually, loads of people do as they let their dogs roam around.

I was almost knocked into traffic because a dog bit my leg while cycling. They are a serious risk to people.

I would have no qualms about sueing the owner if I had been injured either!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement