Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why the hate?

• 22-06-2013 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Boyfriend took in a cat a year and a half ago, cat loves him. Bites and scapes me. The cat will out of nowhere take a lunge at me and draw blood.

Even when he's sitting on my lap and being petted, as soon as he has had enough he will turn around and swipe!!

I'm starting to fear the cat and he has not changed a bit, i wonder is there anything i can do to improve our relationship? Because even though he attacks me, i do love the cat :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

WellThen? wrote: »
    Boyfriend took in a cat a year and a half ago, cat loves him. Bites and scapes me. The cat will out of nowhere take a lunge at me and draw blood.

Even when he's sitting on my lap and being petted, as soon as he has had enough he will turn around and swipe!!

I'm starting to fear the cat and he has not changed a bit, i wonder is there anything i can do to improve our relationship? Because even though he attacks me, i do love the cat :(

Like men, way to heart, through stomach :D
    If you live with the boyfriend, maybe try changing things around like you are the one to give him his feeds? It could be a case of jealousy. Could be a case of a grumpy cat :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I agree with the above, I have tamed feral kittens with food, try some roast chicken, sit on the floor and if the cat comes near, offer it some.
    Also if the cat is playful get a few cheap cat toys and sit on the floor with them trying to get it to play.
    Tell your boyfriend the toys and nice food must come from you only.

Foods my cats love are chicken, raw mince, sardines or mackerel from aldi or lidl, roast beef or yogurt(plain natural yogurt) while milk is bad yogurt is ok and they love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭daedal

scratch the little fecker back

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

First of all if it turns around and swipes you when you're petting it then you're most likely over energizing it. Try scratching it's head and chins only and not do some all back strokes that people usually do.

Secondly play with it using da bird or similar toy every day for 10 min at the same time and after play time feed him. He'll be a changed animal with in a month, trust me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

<snip>

Not here in this forum longshanks.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks.
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

Okay right, thanks a mill. Going to try all of those tips, especially being the one to feed him. Didn't know that about the yogurt thanks. With any luck he might stop using me as a scratching post!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Do some googling on cat body language so you'll see the agitation build and you'll stop petting before you get scratched. Scratches don't come out of nowhere. A snap while being stroked will be preceded by ear movement, tail flicking, bodily tension and the cessation of other signs, like purrs and paw kneading. Most people don't read cat body language because it's more subtle than a dog, but they do communicate their feelings.

Advertisement